Thread: E36 S54 euro type

My Cars
    E36 S54

E36 S54 euro type

Hi everyone!

This is my first post. I have just moved from Sweden to USA, Seattle. Planning to stay here permanently. I've always been into BMW's and I have built a E36 coupe with european S54 swap, drift spec. What I have found out so far just gooooogling - I won't be able to register it here as a street car, even if it's approved in Europe and can be driven on streets out there. Since I put a lot of money in it, and got already a quote for shipping the car here, is there a possibility that they accept my car at the US borders as a race car (or any other type?) that I could continue training my drifting skills on tracks in the US? I do not mean the US race competitions, yet, but do I have a chance get accepted at the border here, in the US, or I should sell my baby in Sweden and build a US spec drift car?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    cz
    Last edited by czarny; 02-22-2017 at 02:08 AM.

My Cars
    E36 S54

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I could be wrong, but I think you might be fearing the rules in California about swapped cars. They are not as strict in Washington. I am no expert, but as long as your vehicle passes a safety inspection and meets crash standards (which it should as I doubt the specification in Sweden is different than the US), I think you should be good to go. Have you disabled any of the safety features - airbags, ABS, seat restraints (seatbelts) etc...?

My Cars
    Mazda 3
    Unless he's referring to the it being more like a "grey market import" which maybe would fall under the 25-year guideline? I'm not sure how it works / would be different for a car that was actually sold here in the states (vs. say a R32 GTR)...

My Cars
    E36 S54
    Thanks for your reply. Airbags are disabled, I have installed Sparco 6 points harness, sparco steering wheel and drivers seat. I have deleted traction control as well. However, ABS works. Due to emissions (european cars goes on high octane fuel) I think my car won't meet US emission requirements. I'm ok to do not be able to drive it on US streets, but can I import it just to drive it on tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think you might be fearing the rules in California about swapped cars. They are not as strict in Washington. I am no expert, but as long as your vehicle passes a safety inspection and meets crash standards (which it should as I doubt the specification in Sweden is different than the US), I think you should be good to go. Have you disabled any of the safety features - airbags, ABS, seat restraints (seatbelts) etc...?

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    There are some rules for importing as a racecar, since that is done at pro-level motorsport, but I wouldn't know where to find them. Probably DOT, EPA, or NHTSA have information. Add to that, Seattle will have its own rules for registration. And motorswaps. And emissions.

What did the car originally start as? If it was originally a 318, 325, 328 or M3 then it'll be easier than a Euro-only 316i or 320i or some other weirdness. If the chassis is over 25 years old you won't have to do much federally, but state rules will be different.

I'm going to guess importing the car and having it be streetable will be a huge expensive pain, but having it declared off-road only (or related terminology) would be a lot less stringent. You'd obviously get fined/ticketed/impounded if you ever drive it on the road, were you to go that route.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    E36 S54
    Thank you! The car was originally 1998 E36 323 full m-sport from factory (2.5l engine), incl even M-sport suspension - very rare. I've installed K-sport drift coilovers that are illegal for street use. I'll check with DOT/EPA/NHTSA what do they say. I was wondering if there is a company somewhere in the US that specializes in importing such a cars/doing all paperwork. You're right, making this car streetable wouldn't be worth it, but for only $1500 I can get it shipped from Sweden to Los Angeles. I hope I will find a way to get it approved at the US border. Once again, thanks for help!

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post
    There are some rules for importing as a racecar, since that is done at pro-level motorsport, but I wouldn't know where to find them. Probably DOT, EPA, or NHTSA have information. Add to that, Seattle will have its own rules for registration. And motorswaps. And emissions.

What did the car originally start as? If it was originally a 318, 325, 328 or M3 then it'll be easier than a Euro-only 316i or 320i or some other weirdness. If the chassis is over 25 years old you won't have to do much federally, but state rules will be different.

I'm going to guess importing the car and having it be streetable will be a huge expensive pain, but having it declared off-road only (or related terminology) would be a lot less stringent. You'd obviously get fined/ticketed/impounded if you ever drive it on the road, were you to go that route.

My Cars
    Mazda 3
    I believe the 323is was sold here, so it might not be as difficult... The coilovers I don't see why that'd be an issue (or hell, even the disabled airbag). I would agree on making some calls, maybe to Customs... Would hate to see you pay the money to import it, think you're free and clear, then have the Feds show up and crush the car (like has been done with some R33 and R34 GTRs, Range Rover Defenders, etc.)...

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by czarny View Post
    Thank you! The car was originally 1998 E36 323 full m-sport from factory (2.5l engine), incl even M-sport suspension - very rare. I've installed K-sport drift coilovers that are illegal for street use. I'll check with DOT/EPA/NHTSA what do they say. I was wondering if there is a company somewhere in the US that specializes in importing such a cars/doing all paperwork. You're right, making this car streetable wouldn't be worth it, but for only $1500 I can get it shipped from Sweden to Los Angeles. I hope I will find a way to get it approved at the US border. Once again, thanks for help!
    My friend Jeremy owns www.montumotors.com and they import cars all the time, he should be able to help you. Tell him Chris sent you.

My Cars
    z3
    It will be difficult to import to the US, it is almost impossible to import any car - including ones past the 25 year rule - if the engine is not original to the car. It will be even more difficult with this engine because US and Euro S54's had different emissions equipment.

If you need that car imported, may be easier to import the car and engine separately. If you dont need that exact car, just build a new one in the US. You may be pleasantly surprised how cheap it can be built over here...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E36 S54
    Thanks for all the replies! I might sell that car in Sweden. Is there a professional company/guy that you would recommend to do the S54 swap into E30 coupe + turbo? /build me a drift car?