Thread: ABS Module interchangeabilty question

My Cars
    98 540i, 78 Porsche 928

ABS Module interchangeabilty question

I have a 1998 540i with the trifecta of lights on, speedo, odo, cruise and mileage meter all inoperative. I have changed all 4 speed sensors and the speedo worked for a couple months. While the speedo worked, the transmission shifted better. I replaced both the rear speed sensors a second time. Still no joy.

The car has an early 1998 build date and the ABS module is under the dash, not under the hood. I cleaned the connector on the module and harness with contact cleaner. My code reader gives me a P0500 speed sensor error.

I have been looking for a correct module (265 109 411) for months and have not found any. So, my question. Are other modules interchangeable?

I find many (265 109 021) and (265 109 010) available. Will these work?

I am not so concerned about the ABS working but I do want the speedo and cruise to work.

Thanks in advance for your help.

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Huh that's interesting. My 97 has it in the engine bay. I thought 97s and early 98s were the same. Are you sure you're not confusing the ABS computer for the ABS module? The ABS module sits on the passenger side across from the valve train. Plenty of brake lines going into it to identify it.

If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    98 540i, 78 Porsche 928
    My understanding is that 97 and early 98’s used the same system. Later 98’s switched to the Bosch 5.7 version. Your picture and text confuse me. You mention the “ABS Computer” and the “ABS Module.” Your picture does not identify either of those, but does show the “ABS Control Unit.” This is not the unit I am referring to as the ABS Module.

My car has a build date of 03/98. The “ABS hydraulic unit” looks the same but the plastic “ABS Control unit” is mounted differently than your picture. As you can see in the first picture, I previously removed the cover and there is on printed circuit board or relays inside and there was continuity from the pin-outs to the contacts that mate to the valves in the “Hydraulic Control Unit.” I didn’t have any black silicone seal handy so used red as you can see. I conclude there is nothing to fix inside this plastic unit.IMG_20170224_061359.jpg

After research, I learned that the 97 model has the ABS Module mounted under the dashboard above the passenger seat. Sure enough, I found mine in that location. It looks like the one in the second picture (from the web, not my actual unit). I have not opened up the unit under my dash yet because Module Masters and others indicate it is not rebuildable.Brake Module - Pic from Web. Not my PN.jpg

Which leads back to my original post. I have been looking for a correct module (265 109 411) for months and have not found any. So, my question. Are other modules interchangeable?

I find many (265 109 021) and (265 109 010) available. Will these work?

Thanks

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than either of us will chime in.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    There are several "265 109 411" modules on ebay now.
    I'd be more concerned about the module on hyd actuator under hood. I believe it is "34 51 1 164 241/42". Looks like it's not available separate from the hyd actuator. Search "
    bmw (e38,e39) (abs,dsc) (96,97,98,1996,1997,1998)", over $50 on ebay. Several of the underhood units show up also. You will likely need INPA or Rheingold to code these modules to your car.

My Cars
    98 540i, 78 Porsche 928
    Thanks for the reply, Pshovest. It’s funny how the search on eBay works. I was searching for “BMW ABS Module 265 109 411” and got nothing. When I saw your message, I removed the “ABS” and searched again, finding the modules you mentioned.

On this car, there really isn’t a “module” on the hydraulic actuator. It is really just a connector with no relays or circuit board.

I will research the INPA or Reingold you mentioned. Thanks.

My Cars
    02 M62 Dinan 5 (SLOW)
    Yeah any junkyard ABS module from the same year car can be installed, then coded in by any local BMW independent. When I have ordered them from junkyard (car-part.com) they always come with a few inches of the old brake lines still attached (cut). Just remove those, simple install, drive to your local Indy and they will code the module in and turn the lights off. I usually pay $75 for a used module and $50 for the coding. Good Luck

BTW the dealer will tell you (they have told me) that these used parts are not interchangeable and you must buy a new module. This is not accurate
    Last edited by 1gr8e39; 02-28-2017 at 01:39 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------Like the late Bill Paxton says repeatedly in Twister "I'm Not Back"---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    AFAIK, P0500 points to the speed sensor in the transmission. http://www.obd-codes.com/p0500

Early ABS electronics, because they're mounted in the cabin, away from exhaust heat, are not known to fail. Might try replacing the trans speed sensor.

Speed sensor replacement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjUjEnych2s
    Last edited by edjack; 02-28-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    ........On this car, there really isn’t a “module” on the hydraulic actuator. It is really just a connector with no relays or circuit board.

I will research the INPA or Reingold you mentioned. Thanks.
    Did you remove the module from the hyd actuator when you opened it up? There should be a series of coils on the backside the actuate the valves that bleed off brakeline pressure

Quote Originally Posted by 1gr8e39 View Post
    .................Yeah any junkyard ABS module from the same year car can be installed, then coded in by any local BMW independent. .......
    You can code it yourself also with NCSExpert, part of BMWTools.........https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?1765680

My Cars
    98 540i, 78 Porsche 928
    Quote Originally Posted by pshovest View Post
    Did you remove the module from the hyd actuator when you opened it up? There should be a series of coils on the backside the actuate the valves that bleed off brakeline pressure

Yes I did remove the "module" from the hydraulic block before I took the black cover off. There were a number of coils that aligned with the valves. I checked and there is electrical continuity between the connector and the coils. There is no pc board or relays as mentioned by people with the Bosch 5.7 version that came on later 98's.

You can code it yourself also with NCSExpert, part of BMWTools.........https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?1765680
    I will check this out. Thanks