Thread: Advantages of M52 Motor

My Cars
    91' E30 325i

Advantages of M52 Motor

I just wanted to know some advantages of having an m52 motor with s52 camshafts and an m50 intake manifold.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    ...as opposed to the M20 engine?
    I'd say more hp and relatively strong in the low revs. Timing chain is also nice, and not having to adjust the valves every now and then.
    If you want details on M52 engines you'd best check in the E39 or E36 sub though.

The company that tuned my M52 claims that it puts out 235hp, and when the E30 had to be re-weighed by the government to get it street legal again; the car turned out to be 10 kgs lighter than it was with its original M20B20.
    Unreliable numbers aside, the car feels quick with this M52B28 and M50 intake.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    91' E30 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by 323i E30 View Post
    ...as opposed to the M20 engine?
    I'd say more hp and relatively strong in the low revs. Timing chain is also nice, and not having to adjust the valves every now and then.
    If you want details on M52 engines you'd best check in the E39 or E36 sub though.

The company that tuned my M52 claims that it puts out 235hp, and when the E30 had to be re-weighed by the government to get it street legal again; the car turned out to be 10 kgs lighter than it was with its original M20B20.
    Unreliable numbers aside, the car feels quick with this M52B28 and M50 intake.
    Thank you, I been thinking about swapping my engine but my friend has been telling me that the m20 engine is the most reliable.. so I didn't know what to do. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Quote Originally Posted by Müven30 View Post
    Thank you, I been thinking about swapping my engine but my friend has been telling me that the m20 engine is the most reliable.. so I didn't know what to do. Thanks again!

Well swapping another engine in doesn't do well for the value of the car, as people usually don't like buying someone else's project.
    It has more downsides. I'm not really looking forward to the day my starter calls it a day for example, as we will likely need to get the engine out to change that thing.
    There's more stuff like that, but that wasn't your question..

I ran into the engine a few years ago and bought it on impulse, then I went looking for a rust free E30 with a toasted M20.
    I don't think I would have done it the other way round as I've been very happy with the M20 engines so far, but that's personal.
    This car has given me more s%^t than any other E30 I've ever owned before... Could just have been a bit of bad luck of course
    ^ true story

My Cars
    91' E30 325i
    I had a question, if I do an engine swap with that would I need a new transmission and engine harness?

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    You could google those types of questions fairly easily.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Quote Originally Posted by Müven30 View Post
    I had a question, if I do an engine swap with that would I need a new transmission and engine harness?

Not sure about compatibility of those things. I bought everything plug and play from someone who took it out of his E30 for swapping in a V8.
    That included engine with attached transmission, and all electrics.
    It really is an often done swap, well documented on the mighty internet indeed.
    ^ true story