Thread: I didn't realize there was so many issues with N62 and N63 engines.

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i

I didn't realize there was so many issues with N62 and N63 engines.

Sure, I knew of N62 valve stem seals, coolant crossover pipe and alternator bracket issues but N63 is another new can of warms:
    http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1076902
    Of course you have to deduct some BS and whining but clearly, there are some serious issues.

The reason I did some reading on these engines is the fact I just got back from Atlanta where I was suppose to drive back 08 550i with 180k miles for a friend.
    The car was one owner and my friend was in Atlanta the day earlier and gave deposit for a car. The car was very cheap but in good condition according to him.
    Well, I did cursory check today and it seemed pretty decent example till I stepped on accelerator and cloud of smoke came out (valve stem seals).
    My friend was in process of handing money out and I only rev the engine little bit to hear exhaust. We're not sure if seller knew or not since he basically just got it from a dealer to flip it but he the deal fell through and he gave deposit back.

My point is that I'm not sure I'm sticking with BMW when time comes to get one newer vehicle. Sure, all new cars these days are not built like they used to but It does seem that BMW is making fairly big blunders lately.

I do believe that let's say in case of N62 valve stems it's probably combination of long oil change intervals combined with inferior seal material quality (just my guess) but the point is that I simply can't forsee 20 year old E60 whatever like my 97 528.

Yes, I'm dinosaur in some ways but it's sad that BMW and many others are now making appliances instead of cars. But of course, BMW would go bankrupt if they waited for me and many others here to buy their new model so I do understand to some degree.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Sad. There've been no reported cases of failed seals on E39 engines.

The M30 six from long ago had a history of worn seals, but later engines were much better.

My reading has convinced me that I will not seek a future BMW model. Maybe this is a knee-jerk reaction. I'll try to keep the E39 running.
    Last edited by edjack; 02-21-2017 at 11:16 PM.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I've got an old Roadfly friend from LI that still has his E39 and then bought one of the N engine X5's, same problem. A quart every 200 miles. He had to have the valve guide seals replaced.
    I really don't know what I'll get for my next car when the 540 bits the dust, probably not a newer BMW.
    The Highlander we just bought is pretty darn nice, just doesn't handle like the E39 does.

My Cars
    528iT
    The N63s are notorious for pretty much destroying everything

Injectors
    High Pressure Fuel Pump
    Chain Guides
    Vanos
    Turbos
    Oil Pump breaking and locking the motor up
    Various CCV problems

I would say it's prolly one of the worst motors they have ever built. The S63 hardly fares any better..

My Cars
    02 525,01 X5,99 323IC
    I have a friend who works at a local independent shop. He is an enthusiast and works on the newer cars on a regular basis. He says he will never own a BMW new than 04. He said the electronics and mechanicals have gone down hill so bad that they are ticking time bombs on many fronts. Sad to see a marque that had such a great reputation to get to this point. I hate to say it, but I as well will probably go Asian once the current cars collection goes away.

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    Sad. There've been no reported cases of failed seals on E39 engines.

The M30 six from long ago had a history of worn seals, but later engines were much better.

My reading has convinced me that I will not seek a future BMW model. Maybe this is a knee-jerk reaction. I'll try to keep the E39 running.
    Yup. Few more years and my 528 is getting antique car plates.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    I've got an old Roadfly friend from LI that still has his E39 and then bought one of the N engine X5's, same problem. A quart every 200 miles. He had to have the valve guide seals replaced.
    I really don't know what I'll get for my next car when the 540 bits the dust, probably not a newer BMW.
    The Highlander we just bought is pretty darn nice, just doesn't handle like the E39 does.
    I'm going to stop whining about my X5. Yes, it may need TC guides in future but we know pretty much everything to be known about M62 engine family and 340 HP / 350 lbft puts smile on my face every time I step on it.

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
    The N63s are notorious for pretty much destroying everything

Injectors
    High Pressure Fuel Pump
    Chain Guides
    Vanos
    Turbos
    Oil Pump breaking and locking the motor up
    Various CCV problems

I would say it's prolly one of the worst motors they have ever built. The S63 hardly fares any better..
    All that and they go through batteries like dirty socks:
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ns-bmw-n63-v8/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by capebmw View Post
    I have a friend who works at a local independent shop. He is an enthusiast and works on the newer cars on a regular basis. He says he will never own a BMW new than 04. He said the electronics and mechanicals have gone down hill so bad that they are ticking time bombs on many fronts. Sad to see a marque that had such a great reputation to get to this point. I hate to say it, but I as well will probably go Asian once the current cars collection goes away.
    Agree. Sort of looking at Subaru brand when time comes.

My Cars
    ///M5
    Anything after E39 and E46.. no thanks.
    Current
    2005 E55 AMG
    1998 Silverado K1500
    1964 Impala
    ​1964 Chevelle 496ci

Past

2000 Avus M5
    1988 Suburban K1500
    1987 Suburban K2500
    2007 Suburban
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2000 MGM
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2001 Stratus 740i Msport
    1990 750iL
    1995 540i/6
    1996 MGM

My Cars
    are slow
    I'd swap an N62 into an E39 provided the VSS is done and if I had the money. N63 sounds like a pure headache.

The E38 and E39 were in a sense the first appliance BMWs.
    Last edited by XAlt; 02-22-2017 at 08:25 AM.

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    I'd swap an N62 into an E39 provided the VSS is done and if I had the money. N63 sounds like a pure headache.

The E38 and E39 were in a sense the first appliance BMWs.
    Funny you mentioned that. Yesterday, after we accidentally discovered the VSS issue, the seller immediately dropped the price $1k down. I thought for a second to snatch it but the then I thought better of it. With my 3 aging BMW's, I always have current list of things to do.

But for somebody capable with knowledge and right tools, you grab something like this, take care of valves stem seals, coolant crossover pipe and alternator bracket (provided they haven't been done yet) and you get yourself pretty quick car.

I don't like E60 but 550i with M Sport package (or whatever is called) is much better looking that plain E60.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Simple and inexpensive item like valve seals! Wtf! That's really a shame. Anyone know why they fail so fast on these motors? Material choice, lubrication, or heat?
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Simple and inexpensive item like valve seals! Wtf! That's really a shame. Anyone know why they fail so fast on these motors? Material choice, lubrication, or heat?
    Inferior material quality is probably part of it, but I suspect that BMW's idiotic 12,000 mile oil change intervals might have something to do with it...

The N63 is even worse than the N62 in a lot of respects, to the point of where BMW is fixing them for free by calling it a "customer care package" as opposed to a recall. Granted, the N63 is quite different from the N62 in that it has turbos inside the V and is a reverse-flow engine. There's bound to be some growing pains when you do something radically different like that.

I do wonder how Mercedes' twin-turbo V8's are doing, since they're pretty similar to the N63's.

Since I don't really want to be stuck with car payments I'll probably stick to the E38/E39/E46/E53 generation for the foreseeable future. New cars don't really offer anything I care about— I don't need a million driver assistance features or a giant tablet screen sticking out of the dash. Popping in a Dynavin makes these cars just as modern in terms of the infotainment, and that's good enough for me. My touring has Bluetooth (phone + music streaming), iPod connectivity, modern nav software, CD/DVD player, and it can also have Carplay with the latest update (plus a module). I don't really need much else in terms of technology.

That being said, if I absolutely had to buy a brand new car (and could afford to do so) I would buy either a Porsche 911 or a C6 Corvette. Both can still be had with a manual and both are still relatively pure driving experiences compared to the numb monster that the M5 has become.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    I've turned to VW for fun to drive cheap cars. Closest driving feel to a BMW I could find for the price. I'm not really into engine modifications or tunes, and that should keep the cars reasonably reliable for 6-10 yrs. We've got 2 Jetta Sport models (2016 and 2017) and a 2016 2 door GTI 6 spd manual in addition to our 3 older BMWs. (2 Z3 2.3 1 auto and 1 manual) and the 528iA.)
    Last edited by amancuso; 02-23-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    I've turned to VW for fun to drive cheap cars. Closest driving feel to a BMW I could find for the price. I'm not really into engine modifications or tunes, and that should keep the cars reasonably reliable for 6-10 yrs. We've got 2 Jetta Sport models (2016 and 2017) and a 2016 2 door GTI 6 spd manual in addition to our 3 older BMWs. (2 Z3 2.3 1 auto and 1 manual) and the 528iA.)
    A GTI with a 6-speed is pretty fun, I drove one not too long ago. The fact that it's front wheel drive kinda kills it for me though, I'm so used to RWD at this point.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread