Thread: Lifter brands

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe

Lifter brands

Is there any difference in the INA branded lifter and the OEM lifter other than the $10 premium?
    Doesn't INA manufacture the OEM lifter? Same quality? For 24 lifters it is about $240 difference, enough to make me pause before buying OEM.
    Thanks!
    Joe

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Why are you replacing them? They can be taken apart and cleaned out, refilled with oil. Once the engine is restarted, they will be filled/pumped back up.

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by AJLM34A View Post
    Why are you replacing them? They can be taken apart and cleaned out, refilled with oil. Once the engine is restarted, they will be filled/pumped back up.
    The motor is being rebuilt. The head has been completely gone through and I'm installing new cams.
    I've read varying opinions on whether or not lifters wear out but my machinist suggests new lifters.
    I'm already in pretty deep so I don't want to cut corners now.

Also, for example, from the VAC website
    "When rebuilding your engine or head, or when installing new camshafts- you absolutely should replace the original lifters with new, un-worn units to insure proper results. These are items that can wear, and build up with sludge. We highly recommend replacement whenever new camshafts are going to be installed. We only use original BMW OEM lifters, these may cost a bit more but always perform flawlessly."

Thanks,
    Joe

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
    I'm already in pretty deep so I don't want to cut corners now...

...We only use original BMW OEM lifters, these may cost a bit more but always perform flawlessly.
    I think you know the answer.

Summer Daily -- '99 E36 M3 'vert 5MT
    Current Project -- '97 E36 328is Coupe 5MT

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
    Is there any difference in the INA branded lifter and the OEM lifter other than the $10 premium?
    Doesn't INA manufacture the OEM lifter? Same quality? For 24 lifters it is about $240 difference, enough to make me pause before buying OEM.
    Thanks!
    Joe
    INA is the exact same thing. You'll be spending more money for it to come from BMW, but they'll both say INA on them. Save yourself the money unless having a receipt showing you paid more matters to you somehow.

Good call on replacing - I tried to clean and rebuild mine and really not worth the hassle. Kinda cool to bust one open, but after 12 the process gets old enough that I said fcuk it and bought 24 new ones.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 02-23-2017 at 06:18 PM. Reason: profanity
    @M3AMI
    96 BG/Magma Lux
    Mods. Lots of Mods.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Foda420 View Post
    INA is the exact same thing. You'll be spending more money for it to come from BMW, but they'll both say INA on them. Save yourself the money unless having a receipt showing you paid more matters to you somehow.

Good call on replacing - I tried to clean and rebuild mine and really not worth the hassle. Kinda cool to bust one open, but after 12 the process gets old enough that I said it and bought 24 new ones.
    This.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 02-23-2017 at 06:18 PM. Reason: quoted profanity

My Cars
    95 M3, 86 325
    Quote Originally Posted by Foda420 View Post

Good call on replacing - I tried to clean and rebuild mine and really not worth the hassle. Kinda cool to bust one open, but after 12 the process gets old enough that I said fcuk it and bought 24 new ones.
    True story. OP, you're paying a premium for the same part. Get the INA branded ones.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 02-23-2017 at 06:19 PM. Reason: quoted profanity

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    I bought INA when I replaced cams. They work just fine.

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Ordered a set of INA from FCP Euro. Very good price. Thanks all.