Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Am I forgetting anything for my stereo upgrade?

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan

Am I forgetting anything for my stereo upgrade?

Hi all,
    Done lots of reading and I think I understand how this system all works. Wanted to run my set up by you all to see if I'm missing anything:

Currently: 98 M3 w/ HK. Aftermarket Kenwood Head unit. Previous owner upgraded the front tweets and mids with BSW speakers. I haven't checked the kick panels but I assume he did those too. I think there was an aftermarket amp in the system but I can't confirm.

I bought these 6x9's for the rear
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plan to buy this Alpine Amp

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRV...g&awug=9018949

I was going to unhook the HK amp in the truck and use those speaker wires to go into the new amp for the 6x9's, front kick panel speakers, mids and tweeters. 4 separate channels. Can I do that? All that wiring should just be able to be cut and go into the new amp, correct? I know the stock rear speakers were technically a mid and tweeter, I would just use the mid wires for the new 6x9s and discard the tweeter wires.

Can I wire in the new amp both rears in one channel, kick panel in one channel, etc mids, tweeters? Or does each speaker need to have it's own channel? I see there are cross overs on the amp. Will those suffice for my purposes?

Thanks, been a while since I've dealt with car stereo stuff.
    Andrew
    99 528i Sport

My Cars
    99 Z3 Coupe
    If you wire multiple speakers into one channel, you change the impedance, aka resistance, and you will need more power and have less volume back there. So no, you can't really do that I believe is the short of it.
    Unless you're asking can you take an input from the speaker wires and put them into the same spot on the amp, and then run two channels out? The answer to that is still no I believe..

I believe if I'm reading this right, for what you're asking, you'd be fine with a 4 channel. 1 for each 6x9 in the rear, 1 for each set of fronts- kick, mid, tweet with crossover for each, either using what's already there or you'd need a new ones.

Depending on how it's wired, you will need the wires from the rear tweeters in, as otherwise your 6x9 will be just bass. I'm not familiar with the M3 so someone else will have to chime in on this. Likely the tweeters split off the rear speakers with a simple cross over in there, so if so, you'll be fine.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Quote Originally Posted by cpandrewschmidt View Post

Can I wire in the new amp both rears in one channel, kick panel in one channel, etc mids, tweeters? Or does each speaker need to have it's own channel? I see there are cross overs on the amp. Will those suffice for my purposes?

Andrew
    Andrew, unfortunately this will not work out this way. There are crossovers in the amp, but they are not sufficient to separate signal into 3 speakers. Your HK has built in crossovers that took care of that.

And to answer your direct question: yes, you are forgetting a wiring kit for the amplifier.

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    I'll comment tomorrow. Did something like this with my 97 and my 93 e36s
    Marc Plante
    E36 M3/4/5 193k
    Konis+ Dinan Springs, Understeer SS, Shepott European steering Wheel, ZKW Ellipsoids, ECIS Intake+ ATE Foam filter, Stromung Exhaust, Recaro SRDs. JVC Arsenal Head Unit. Alpine MRV-F300 Amp, ADS 535i components, JL Audio Stealthbox Subs

My Track Rig:
    i7700 / 2080 PC with Assetto Corsa and Content Manager, Samsung Odyssey+ VR goggles
    Fanatec CSP wheel and pedals, SSH Shifter, recaro seat. Home built cockpit
    Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    Ok in short. Hopefully your head unit has rca out. Run rca leads to the amp space and connect using those. Use front two channels for front of car. Hopefully your aftermarket separates came with their own xovers, and you can just feed signal into them. My front xovers live back by the amp and I plugged in ads tweets and mid woofs...skipped the mids

Running jl audio stealth boxes in back driven by rear two channels. Used hp and lp filters on amp and fine tuned with head unit settings.

You'll need long rca cables for the amp. Hard to tell what you'll need to wire to the speakers in front until you get into the amp section and see if there are crossovers. If so, you'll just need some speaker line to make the final connection. Your choice on connection type solder and shrink wrap will be bomb proof.
    Marc Plante
    E36 M3/4/5 193k
    Konis+ Dinan Springs, Understeer SS, Shepott European steering Wheel, ZKW Ellipsoids, ECIS Intake+ ATE Foam filter, Stromung Exhaust, Recaro SRDs. JVC Arsenal Head Unit. Alpine MRV-F300 Amp, ADS 535i components, JL Audio Stealthbox Subs

My Track Rig:
    i7700 / 2080 PC with Assetto Corsa and Content Manager, Samsung Odyssey+ VR goggles
    Fanatec CSP wheel and pedals, SSH Shifter, recaro seat. Home built cockpit
    Mt Pleasant, SC, USA