Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guy here: Intro/ My Avusblau M3

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Avus/Dove

New Guy here: Intro/ My Avusblau M3

Greetings!

Well, after a full year of membership to this forum, I thought it was about time to introduce myself and my car. This place has been an invaluable source of information during my five-month car search and first few months of ownership, so first off thank you all very much for the help you have already unknowingly given me.

About me:
    I'm a lifelong car enthusiast, but haven't really owned a lot of different cars (so far). I've been mostly a Honda guy; my current daily is a 08 Civic Si with NO modifications and 180k+ miles, and I previously had a 99 Si (first new car ever, never should have sold that one). I'm also into sport bikes, and have owned a Suzuki SV 650, GSX-R 750, Ducati 1098, and currently a 95 Honda VFR 750.

I've always wanted a sports car of some kind, really wanted an air-cooled 911 for a long time, but they were always just out of reach. Then they suddenly became REALLY out of reach. Also considered an S2000, but wanted to try something outside the Honda family. So, enter the E36 M3. Handling and balance matter more to me that outright speed, and the E36 fits that; it's a pure driver's car. And I love the way it looks and sounds, so for me, it was the perfect choice. It's my first BMW, first German car. So far I'm loving it!

The car:
    1995 M3 Coupe
    80,000 miles
    5-Speed
    Avus Blue/Gray Leather
    Sport Package
    Manual, Heated Vader Seats
    Sunroof
    No Spoiler
    Standard Audio

I bought it in June with 77,000 miles on it, from a BMW CCA member. I found it on here actually, listed in the Panjo classifieds, so some of you may have seen it there, but I'm not sure if the PO was active on the forum or not. It is in fantastic condition. The paint has ZERO dings, scratches, etc. A few stone chips on the front and that's about it. PO used it for BMW CCA track events, so it has a very nice bolt-in roll hoop installed and Bilstein/H&R suspension, Dinan intake, but otherwise is mostly stock. Certainly does not look or feel like a track rat.

Pics!
    So you didn't read any of that above did you? You just scrolled down to see pics of the car didn't you? OK, fine:

IMAG0676 by CDA157, on Flickr

IMAG0674 by CDA157, on Flickr

IMAG0679 by CDA157, on Flickr

IMAG0689 by CDA157, on Flickr

IMAG0683 by CDA157, on Flickr

IMAG0691 by CDA157, on Flickr

IMAG0696 by CDA157, on Flickr

Not the best pics; taken with my phone and the car was a little dirty. Also would have looked a lot cleaner if I'd remembered to close the roof.

Plans are to keep it as nice as possible while driving it as much as I can. It does need a new headliner and I noticed the power steering hoses were seeping a bit right before I put it away for the winter. Beyond that, nothing is in need of immediate attention, but I'm going to start replacing suspension bushings, refreshing the VANOS, etc. The typical stuff. I'm not really interested in modifying or changing much, but would like to eventually upgrade the headlights, steering wheel, and exhaust. I have already upgraded the stereo; I had blown rear speakers, and ended up replacing all of the speakers along with a new amp, but kept the stock head unit and hid everything so you can't tell it's not factory. Also, I've replaced the driver's side window regulator, and re-glued the inside of the door panels, so I've got that right of passage under my belt.

I could go on and on and on about this thing. I freaking love it! It has been so much fun so far driving it and learning about it. It's an amazing machine.

Thanks for looking!
    Chris

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Car looks great! I'd say upgrading the headlights and steering wheel are pretty much must do's, they don't need much more for the looks department.
    CBlock

My Cars
    E36
    wow!!

My car 170k miles ago, lol!

Car and pics are great. Welcome and good luck with it!
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    German ones
    Looks great Chris!

I'm biased of course.
    Dave
    '18 RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins
    '15 Pure White VW Touareg TDI
    ///'95 Avus M3 S54B32 Race car -- 2022 ProAutoSports PS1 Champion
    ///'72 Chamonix 2002 (Restoration project)

My Cars
    98 M3
    Best colour the e36 was offered in. Nice pickup.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Avus/Dove
    Thanks guys! Your cars are all amazing too.

Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    Best colour the e36 was offered in. Nice pickup.
    Want to trade?? LOL during my search technoviolet or daytona violet were actually my first choices as far as color, with Avus being very close behind. Even test drove a couple different techno cars but I'm VERY happy to have ended up with the car I did. I go back and forth now as far as which color is best.

The steering wheel is definitely my first priority as far as upgrades. Currently leaning toward a M Technik II wheel even though I'll have to give up the airbag. The stock one is in good shape though, just huge and bus-like.

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    I bought a wheel off of this guy and have been super happy with it. I know of a couple others that bought through him and have been very happy as well. Mine was just a 3 spoke Euro in leather but he makes all kinds and the price is tough to beat.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ra-M-stitching
    CBlock

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Avus/Dove
    Quote Originally Posted by CblockM3 View Post
    I bought a wheel off of this guy and have been super happy with it. I know of a couple others that bought through him and have been very happy as well. Mine was just a 3 spoke Euro in leather but he makes all kinds and the price is tough to beat.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ra-M-stitching
    Thanks for the tip! It's good to get a good endorsement for that seller; I've been eyeing up this one:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...er-M-stitching

But I'm trying to resist because I feel like I should do the headliner and maybe some other maintenance stuff first.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Awesome buy. Congrats!
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    Nice car! Leave the steering wheel alone I like it better than the 3 spoke! Get some Depo Euros that will transform the front end.
    Last edited by ben4bama; 02-22-2017 at 07:29 AM.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Nice buy. I also think it's the best color of any ever offered. (I think a black interior would nail it.)
    If you're worried about the hoop size of that 4-spoke, watch the diameters of all those possible Euro (and other) steering wheels, many are larger diameter. If that matters.

My Cars
    95 M3, 86 325
    That thing is in pristine condition. Also, Avus FTW.
    Last edited by Reprisal; 02-22-2017 at 01:05 PM. Reason: grammar

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3
    Welcome! Good looking M - always liked that color (don't think it's as prevalent as the others). I'd do the same as your first suggestion; HID's, angel eyes if that's your flavor...steering wheel...and my personal preference would be deleting the fog lamps but that's just one opinion. Looks great!

1995 BMW M3/2/5 - Alpine White - Vaders - Stage II Maxsil Pistons, Chipped, 24# Injectors, MagnaFlow Exhaust, and heated door locks!

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    Great looking car! congrats on the purchase. I have to say yours is a bit nicer than my 95 Avus/Dove 5sp. Love it! The only thing better than Avus/Dove is Avus/Modena
    "**if you suck at driving, it certainly could put you into a curb. Don't suck."

My Cars
    2016 Audi A4, BMW
    Great car and color!

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    That is one pretty car. Congrats on the great find!

My Cars
    e28, Spec3, M3, M3, ZHP
    Welcome and great looking car!! Love Avus =) I had a project Avus for a while.
    Andrew Elmore

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 SpeedMiata
    Love the Avus. And the VFR...had a 5th Gen I wrecked. :-( Now no more bikes for me. Also, we were exclusively a Honda/Acura family as I grew up. Then I drove a BMW and discovered this wonderful thing I'd been missing my entire life: torque! I also like a car that feels like a bank vault instead of a tin can.
    Current:
    98 M3/4/5 Alpine/Magma
    05 MazdaSpeed Miata

Sold:

00 Honda VFR
    99 528iT M/T
    98 M3/4/5 Arctic/Dove
    94 R-package Miata
    89 Honda NT650

87 325is turned SpecE30

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    I had a 96 VFR, 7 years, 48,000 miles later got the Aprilia, last September picked up the Connie14.

Nice car find...
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Avus/Dove
    Thank you, thank you, thank you all for the kind comments! I feel pretty lucky to have found such a nice one. Credit to the POs for keeping it in such great shape.

Hey, two different VFR guys on here! Cool. This of course, gives me an excuse to post a pic of the bike:

4846544-129Slayer by CDA157, on Flickr

It's pretty clean too, even though it now has about 35,000 miles. Bought it a couple years ago to do a trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway, and it performed flawlessly. It's pretty comfortable for a sport bike, and sounds amazing, but is really a bit too slow and heavy. I'll probably keep it another year and go back to something a bit more sporty. The GSX-R 750 was actually the best bike I've owned.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    No, no, it doesn't...lol

Oh and it's not even broken in yet. I've got a picture of a guy's VFR odometer that had just rolled over 200,000 miles. All by him.... He had to ride around the hotel parking lot for about 5 mins to get it to exactly roll over.

Anyway, hit me with a PM and give you the scoop on VFR doings. (Yes, I'm still allowed, and I know guys that will be waiting for you to catch up at every turn on their old slow VFR's, loaded with luggage and camping gear. ) It may be old, and a bit heavy, but it will most definitely get with the program when ridden by a cagey old codger. :-)
    Last edited by RRSperry; 02-23-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Avus/Dove
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    No, no, it doesn't...lol

Oh and it's not even broken in yet. I've got a picture of a guy's VFR odometer that had just rolled over 200,000 miles. All by him.... He had to ride around the hotel parking lot for about 5 mins to get it to exactly roll over.

Anyway, hit me with a PM and give you the scoop on VFR doings. (Yes, I'm still allowed, and I know guys that will be waiting for you to catch up at every turn on their old slow VFR's, loaded with luggage and camping gear. ) It may be old, and a bit heavy, but it will most definitely get with the program when ridden by a cagey old codger. :-)
    Cool! will do.

My Cars
    E36
    you guys are making me jelly.

We used a 83 VF750 engine in an old SAE mini Baja build and ever since researching it I've wanted a late 80s VFR.

post more pics so I can drool
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 SpeedMiata
    VFR-Dragon3.jpg

Gear-driven cams, V-four, Staintune exhaust--yeah, the bike sounded heavenly.
    Current:
    98 M3/4/5 Alpine/Magma
    05 MazdaSpeed Miata

Sold:

00 Honda VFR
    99 528iT M/T
    98 M3/4/5 Arctic/Dove
    94 R-package Miata
    89 Honda NT650

87 325is turned SpecE30

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Avus/Dove
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex36 View Post
    VFR-Dragon3.jpg

Gear-driven cams, V-four, Staintune exhaust--yeah, the bike sounded heavenly.
    Great looking bike! I love the 5th gens, especially in yellow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast