My Cars
    bmw x5 3.0 sport

New to BMW.. Thinking of buying 02 BMW X5 3.0 Sport package.. need advice

Hey guys, just joined this forum to get as much information as possible before I pull the trigger on this X5 that I found. its a 2002 with 82k miles on it and very clean. I was wondering what are some common things / problems to look for ? how common is head gasket / transmission issues with these trucks ? ( I have always been afraid of buying a BMW for these two main reasons).

I am sticking to the 3.0 inline 6 as is it far more reliable than the v8 and overall just a simpler vehicle for me to own.
    any info / help would be great.

Thanks everyone.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Welcome to the forum! The very first thing I would recommend is to get a PPI report by a qualified BMW technician. Although the car may look really clean on the outside, the internals may be different. I'm sure other members will jump in and lend their expertise. Best of luck!

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    //M5s, 4.8iS , Z32TT
    Quote Originally Posted by DMako95 View Post
    Hey guys, just joined this forum to get as much information as possible before I pull the trigger on this X5 that I found. its a 2002 with 82k miles on it and very clean. I was wondering what are some common things / problems to look for ? how common is head gasket / transmission issues with these trucks ? ( I have always been afraid of buying a BMW for these two main reasons).

I am sticking to the 3.0 inline 6 as is it far more reliable than the v8 and overall just a simpler vehicle for me to own. <-it's a subjective opinion
    any info / help would be great.

Thanks everyone.
    I second the recommendation for a proper PPI.
    Biggest issue for 3.0 I6 is the cooling system. The M54 has aluminum block so just being overheated for a short period could result in serious damage. If you don't let it overheat, the head gasket should have no problem.
    There are two camp on transmission: drain and refill ATF, or leave it alone as it's "Lifetime Fluid" () I choose to drain and refill the ATF, using the fluid from BMW.
    Best of luck on your decision. We are on our 3rd E53 X5, upgrading.

2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) --------------- 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's) -------------- 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E39 M5, 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32 TwinTurbo

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by tmvE39E53Z32TT View Post
    I second the recommendation for a proper PPI.
    Biggest issue for 3.0 I6 is the cooling system. The M54 has aluminum block so just being overheated for a short period could result in serious damage. If you don't let it overheat, the head gasket should have no problem.
    There are two camp on transmission: drain and refill ATF, or leave it alone as it's "Lifetime Fluid" () I choose to drain and refill the ATF, using the fluid from BMW.
    Best of luck on your decision. We are on our 3rd E53 X5, upgrading.

Between your DD and your wife's 4.8is, I'd say you're definitely doing something right man!

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST