Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dont know what to think

My Cars
    1993 bmw 850ci
    Seems where the screw bites is corroded and broke. I dont know why lt wont just pull out... should i drill it out?
    When reasemble would that missing t25 really matter?

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    This is the exact reason why I'm planning on welding my sunroof up. I currently have heavy duty black duct tape sealing the entire thing to prevent any more water from leaking in until I can get it to a qualified body shop to do the work...

My Cars
    1993 bmw 850ci
    Ok. Got the liner out, almost drilled out the t25 but looked and i realized you can skip step #3 in frankies diy dont remove any of those t25 and just slide the liner out.
    Way easier and you dont have to worry about breaking the plastic to your sunroof and lose 3 screw mounts like i did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UNEEKONE View Post
    This is the exact reason why I'm planning on welding my sunroof up. I currently have heavy duty black duct tape sealing the entire thing to prevent any more water from leaking in until I can get it to a qualified body shop to do the work...
    Interesting. Please let me know how it turns out. Seems cool to have a slicktop

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Glad you got it. Sunroof is very unforgiving. Was probably over tightened and the plastic frame around each threaded insert broke.

When I am dealing with a spinning bolt (most often in a plastic thread), I use a nylon trim tool/metal trim fork under the head to establish outward force and keep the retaining thread from spinning if I can't access the back directly.. I most often see this with things like license plates and wheel liners.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by dabenthusiast View Post
    New problem.
    I got all but one t25 screw out.
    The last one is just spinning freely but wont unscrew and cant be pulled out... seems like some plastic broke..
    Any help on getting it out?
    The rack is broken and unusable- you will just need to break it all the way. The blind nut that is molded into that plastic part is just spinning. Folks have tried to glue these back together, but it won't last and you have to go back and do it again. Best course of action is new parts.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    1993 bmw 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    The rack is broken and unusable- you will just need to break it all the way. The blind nut that is molded into that plastic part is just spinning. Folks have tried to glue these back together, but it won't last and you have to go back and do it again. Best course of action is new parts.

Why is the rack unusable?
    My sunroof is working better then ever since i have owned the car and with spring/summer around the corner i figured i have time before i have to worry about rain in my back seat again.

The glass part is secured and tight.
    1993 black bmw 850ci

My Cars
    1993 bmw 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyparts View Post
    Glad you got it. Sunroof is very unforgiving. Was probably over tightened and the plastic frame around each threaded insert broke.

When I am dealing with a spinning bolt (most often in a plastic thread), I use a nylon trim tool/metal trim fork under the head to establish outward force and keep the retaining thread from spinning if I can't access the back directly.. I most often see this with things like license plates and wheel liners.
    There are 4 drain holds, one on each corner of the sunroof or just two in front corners?
    I cleared the front 2 and gas tank drain today..
    Can someone help point out rear sunroof drain that leads threw cpillar?
    1993 black bmw 850ci

My Cars
    1993 bmw 850ci
    after last nights rain I can confirm my sunroof leak is fixed! and sunroof is flush with roof and worry free for now.
    no more puddle and back seats getting ruined!!
    picture of sunroof drain and exit.
    I also have a video of water traveling from sunroof down threw the tube in passenger panel out threw the side skirts.

under passenger side panel, under rubber mat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12