Thread: Fried Aux Fan

My Cars
    740i

Fried Aux Fan

So getting this thing back on the road is fighting me every step. Timing issues after guides replaced. Fixed. Trans failsafe issue with loss of forward momentum fixed. Putting it all back together and upon placing battery back in the car. Was not fully charged just a click or two. Placed on charger. After a bit I noticed smoke from the grill area. Pulled battery terminals. Key was not even in the ignition at the time.
    I assume it was the resistors for the aux fan as that is the only elec component behind that fan. Why did that go with no key in ? Any ideas. Prob best just to get all the gremlins out now.
    2001 740i M sport Anthracite Metallic
    The never ending project.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    That is new one, not heard that before. Don't know the year of your car but before '99 and there would be a resistor built into the fan assbly, 99 to 01 no resistor it is controlled by pulse width modulation.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    740i
    Not really sure what it was. Pink smoke from behind grill in front of radiator. It is either fan motor or something else ( I assumed resistors) I unplugged the large plug going to the fan and no more issues but no aux fan either. Will pull off fan this weekend and see. Lucky it is still cool enough I should be ok for now.

2001 M sport

- - - Updated - - -

BTW it wasn't just a small poof it was definitely some electrical fizzle and a lot of pinkish smoke smelled terrible. Could not see where it came from. Could hear it though. Sounded like a tea kettle almost. Anything else back there other than fan ?

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Aux Air pump is down below that area...
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    740i
    Ok pulled it out just a fan nothing else in that area. No resistors. Fan spins freely however when I plug it in it tries to spin and puffs pink smoke. My questions is, why is this getting power and trying to spin. Key is not in car and it is just sitting. I can get another fan but is that my only issue? I don't want to burn up a new fan. Why is there power to this now ?

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    You got a new one newer heard of this happening..........

Might be time for an exerciser to check out the circuit... requires someone with the software to do this.
    Last edited by TxDarth; 03-03-2017 at 10:29 PM.