Thread: Can I tow a 2003 BMW Z4 on tow dolly - Manual Transmission- conflicting responses

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3

Can I tow a 2003 BMW Z4 on tow dolly - Manual Transmission- conflicting responses

I just bought a 2003 BMW Z4 with manual transmission. Can I tow the Z4 with the front wheels up and the rear wheels on the ground with the stick shift in neutral on a tow dolly? I have plenty of experience using a tow dolly. I know for an automatic transmission I would have to remove the drive shaft or flatbed but with a stick shift, I would just place in neutral and go. I have read many threads but keep getting conflicting responses. Some people say you can use a tow dolly if its a 5 speed tranny but not a 6 speed tranny. I have a 5 speed. Unfortunately, I'm not an expert on Z4 MANUAL transmissions...

Other notes: I can adjust the height of my tow dolly so that the rear bumper will not scrap the ground while towing.

Lastly, the owner's manual shows a picture of the Z4 being towed front wheels up and rear wheels down but the manual doesn't state if you can just put the stick shift in neutral and be safe.

If I need to remove the rear driveshaft... How hard is it and does it require the exhaust removal, and does it just unbolt without anything in the way? Once unbolted I would just tie it to the side and not disconnect the front portion?

HAS ANYONE EVERY USED A TOW DOLLY ON A Z4?

My Cars
    z3
    Of course you can, just remove the rear axels first. Better to tow with the rear wheels up if you MUST use a dolly

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3
    When you say remove rear axles, how involved is that and why?

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3
    I just contacted the dealership(BMW of Cleveland) and the service manage just confirmed that you can tow a Z4 on a tow dolly front wheels up and rear wheels down with the stick shift in neutral. When I asked if this method would cause any damage, the service manage stated that the rear tires would have more miles on them then the front tires. Matter of fact, the service manager also tows his Z4 on a tow dolly.

I would still like to know if others have tried this method

My Cars
    Many
    Your dealership is going against all published documentation BMW has published for the E85/E86 chassis. eg. all technical service documentation, TIS (repair manual), your owner manual and field service reports.

Towing with the rear wheels down places undue stress on the drive train that is was not designed to handle.
    BMW specifically states that you use a flatbed.
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME

My Cars
    z3
    Removing the rear axels separates the wheels from the drivetrain, preventing the drivetrain stress shipkiller describes which can damage differentials, transmissions, etc

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3
    Here are the FACTS!!!!!!!!! In regards to towing a BMW Z4 with a manual shift on a tow dolly... You can use a tow dolly 100%. I contacted 7 dealerships. 5 of them said you CAN tow a Z4 on a tow dolly with the front tires on the dolly and rear wheels on the ground. The last two actually endorsed the idea of towing rear wheels down because they use a tow dolly themselves. NO NEED TO TOW BACKWARDS EITHER. The BMW dealerships recommend not to use a tow dolly because most people damage the ground effects while loading. In my case, I had use 2x4's wood pieces as a small ramp so the front bumper wouldn't hit the trailer while loading. Other than that, drive the Z4 up, strap it down, gear shifter in neutral and emergency brake off. Theres at least 5 inches of clearance for the rear bumper which is plenty.

PROOF: I TOWED MY Z4 FROM Nashville, TN to Cleveland, Ohio on a tow dolly front wheels up and rears on the ground. It was a 575 miles and no problems at all. Case closed!

My Cars
    e10, e30,e85,UCK41, r56
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Removing the rear axels separates the wheels from the drivetrain, preventing the drivetrain stress shipkiller describes which can damage differentials, transmissions, etc
    Given that the E85s use Getrag manual gearboxes with an immersion/splash lube system as opposed to a driven pump, what "stresses" would they be exposed to pray tell when being towed in neutral as opposed to standard when driven down the road under its own power?

'06 Tundra - Toy Hauler -- '89 325is, 24v Track Rat --'76 2002, Summer wannabe DD/restomod thing -- '03 Z4, GI Joe Roadster playset -- '01 R1100S, Beemer -- '07 Mini Cooper S -- '10 328xi

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3
    I'm not quite sure I'm understanding your question. Can you please elaborate?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Maybe this towing platform would suffice:http://www.planitrentals.com/FlatbedRentals.html

My Cars
    '04 BMW Z4 Roadster 2,2i
    Manual shifted RWD cars here in Germany are being towed front side up for decades now and they never broke sooner and this method never put more stress on parts than driving them under their own power.....reading some statements here i get the feeling your american cars are made out of sugar and start to melt away when being towed that way......

It is a car,it was made to withstand a LOT more stress than what a tow in the described fashion could EVER put on the drivetrain,when being towed!

@petes1997bmwz3
    Go ahead and tow it the way you planned it,NOTHING will break or gets unduly overused that way!

Greetz

Cap

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Thanks Captain,
    Good to know!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainFuture01 View Post
    .....reading some statements here i get the feeling your american cars are made out of sugar and start to melt away when being towed that way......
    My car is made of spun candy floss and meringue.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.