My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i

E70 trailer hitch

So anybody install a trailer hitch kit on there x5? If you did, what kit did you utilize. I think the OEM BMW may be the best idea, but I wanted an opinion first to see what everyone is doing.

My Cars
    2013 BMW X5
    I installed one at a local shop, not OEM, much cheaper and hangs below all the fairings so minimal cutting required. Now I am trying to program the BMW trailer wiring harness and other options... not so easy as I was hoping!!!!!
    Last edited by cruisin newfie; 02-28-2017 at 06:59 AM.

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i
    I wonder if you could purchase the OEM wiring harness without the hitch. What brand of hitch did you purchase?

My Cars
    X5 xdrive50i
    The BMW wire harness comes separate of the hitch. The harness is not the easiest to install but has decent directions. I installed it myself and had the dealer code it to the car for $180.

I think the hitch and harness cost me $500 in April 2016.

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i
    By coding, do you mean so the trailer lights will actually work? Like programming it into a module of the BMW?

My Cars
    X5 xdrive50i
    Yes. When you install it yourself everything works but the brake lights.

Have to have the dealer do their magic to finish the rest.

The hitch itself is easy probably took my 2 hours for the hitch and 2 hours for the wiring.

My Cars
    E36, E30, X5
    Invisihitch all the way, get the version with OEM wiring harness.

It's the best trailer hitch option for X5 by far. The benefits are too numerous to list so take a look at their website or call Steve. Right now they are going through some branding / marketing changes so it's a little confusing, but the website is execuhitch.com
    Thanks to Castro Motorsport BMW Repair & Performance Shop - North Hollywood, CA

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i
    I wonder if an independent shop could complete the module programming to get the brake lights to work.

My Cars
    E36, E30, X5
    The Invisihitch includes remote coding so that everything just works. And coding includes other goodies for free such as door chime delete, amber turn signal delete, navigation disclaimer delete, and much more. You connect into the X5 computer with a cable (provided) with a laptop via Wifi and let the remote coder do his thing.

Seriously give Steve a call, he's extremely helpful. I was completely new to this about a month ago and he helped me out. You can tell him Marcelo from Forte Web sent you
    Last edited by CeloC; 03-03-2017 at 08:16 PM. Reason: clarifications

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i
    that sounds like the kit to buy then. I was just picking at my wife for throwing her seatbelt off a minute or 2 before I actually park, the bimmer goes nuts when she does that. So the software is exclusive to invisihich, or is it something they peddle because it works well?

My Cars
    E36, E30, X5
    It's not exclusive, no. They offer the software services as a value-added feature. The software guy needs to do the hitch coding, so I guess they figure might as well throw in the ability to make more changes.

I forgot to mention the other cool software feature that's relevant to the hitch: if you request it, the coder can add the rear camera zoom feature which allows you to see the hitch better when backing up. It's pretty awesome.

Hope that helps

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i
    oh its a they install it thing? not like an install kit you can purchase?
    2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - 122K - No muffler, BMS Stage 1
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8-Her stock DD
    1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 V8 LX - A bunch of mods BMW guys don't care about
    1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Brillstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, supersprint exhaust, UUC short throw

My Cars
    2016 X5, 2014 Audi Q5
    Just had my invisihitch delivered last week. Of course last week was in the 70's here. Tomorrow night down to 9 degrees again. Directions look pretty clear. Last hitch I did was for my 2012 Toyota Highlander 2 years ago and even though all the holes are pre-driled for the OEM hitch on the Highlander I was still on my back under the vehicle for most of the install. This one looks easier though as it looks to be installed and bolted off the back of the frame instead of underneath it. Plan to attack it as soon as the weather warms up again.

And from what I'm seeing in the directions which are very well written and photoed in that most of the wiring connections are made in the left side of the trunk, so if I get something wrong connection wise I'm sure Steve can help me trouble shoot it. At least I won't have to take the bumper facing off again as the wiring is in the left side trunk compartment.
    I can't wait to have the programmer give me the feature that will allow me to close my trunk with the key fob like most cars allow and what I was used to with the Highlander. I asked the service rep at the dealership where I bought the car that since they were installing the Sirius radio module could they program the trunk close button into the key fob. He said that feature is not available. But the invisihitch add features list shows it can be done.

Also the rapid flashing of the brake lights feature when using a heavy brake pedal looks interesting. Anyone have that feature turned on? And does it rapid fire my LED trailer lights too?

Any other DIY install tips?
    Last edited by Expidia; 03-09-2017 at 06:49 PM.

My Cars
    E36, E30, X5
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBimX5din View Post
    oh its a they install it thing? not like an install kit you can purchase?
    They connect directly to your car using the cable provided by Invisihitch. You can also purchase their services separately and buy your own cable. I think that's what you're asking? Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    Also the rapid flashing of the brake lights feature when using a heavy brake pedal looks interesting. Anyone have that feature turned on? And does it rapid fire my LED trailer lights too?

Any other DIY install tips?
    Yeah I got that feature installed - looks decently helpful / cool from the youtube videos I saw. Haven't seen what it looks like it from the outside though. Not sure if it does the trailer lights.

Install tips I would check the "other forum" using Google. I had my Invisihitch installed in Los Angeles by Castro Motorsport.
    Last edited by CeloC; 03-10-2017 at 09:59 PM.

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i
    Yes, you knew what I was saying and I repsect you for that, I was inquiring about purchasing invisihitch programming separate. I like "other forum"
    2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - 122K - No muffler, BMS Stage 1
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8-Her stock DD
    1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 V8 LX - A bunch of mods BMW guys don't care about
    1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Brillstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, supersprint exhaust, UUC short throw

My Cars
    2016 X5, 2014 Audi Q5
    Celo . . . I sent this as a private message too in case you notice that one quicker . . . im installing my invisihitch tomorrow. Did you ever get a chance to notice if heavy breaking will rapidly also flash your trailer lights faster now that you had that feature turned on?
    I do have led lights too on my trailer.
    Last edited by Expidia; 04-28-2017 at 08:48 AM.