Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Paint, Primer and filling holes

My Cars
    1985 635 CSI

Paint, Primer and filling holes

I have several trim holes and old spoiler holes I am going to have welded/filled. My question is this, I won't have the ability to get the car painted right away, what can I do to keep the filled in holes from rusting? Just coat it in primer until the car gets repainted? It is an 1985 E24 that also will be getting a new body kit, which is part of the reason for waiting for painting

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    Before you primer the areas, I'd get a q-tip and something like RustMort and apply it to your holes. RustMort is available locally and it chemically changes rust into an inert black compound that doesn't rust any more. Talk to your local auto shop guys and buy a bottle of the version available in your area. 1 bottle will last you forever.

My Cars
    1985 635 CSI
    But they won't be holes after they are welded in. That's really the plan is to get them filled next weekend, and then protect them for several months while I fix the rest of the vehicle before I get body work and painting completed

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    OK.
    Primer is porous so it's not going to do much to keep moisture off your welded plugs. When painting time eventually comes, those areas will be taken down to bare metal, reprimed and painted.

What you could do now is to primer and put some sort of paint on top of the primer. Even spray paint of a near match or just go to paintscratch.com and get a couple of oz. of your color. Paintscratch will even offer a rattle can if you want. Or, just get the paint and use the PreVal system to make your own sprayer. And the paint top layer will seal the plugs from moisture.