Thread: Differential noise

My Cars
    1992 E34 525i

Differential noise

Hello all,

I actually posted here about this problem a while ago. Simply, my diff (I guess it was the diff) makes rumbling noises when the car was going uphill. I did what I was recommended to do, checked all the mounts and bolts, axles, nothing was loose or anything. Yesterday I changed the fluid in it. Today though when I drove to work, it has started to make those noises not only when uphill under load, but also in corners. The sharper the corner was, the worse. So is it actually possible that the diff is on its way? Or that it was LSD and putting open diff fluid caused this? One more thing, subframe and mounts are ok, but the diff itself was very rusty and also probably never opened before, so the fluid was original. The car has 190k kms on it. Thanks for any replies.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    " Originally Posted by penev
    75w90 fluid may scratch the friction discs."

"He may be a spammer but that doesn't give you the right to call him names"

Call 'em as I see 'em.
    Might be time for you to read the rules of the road........

My Cars
    1992 E34 525i
    Thank you for your reply. Well it is kinda hard to describe, but yes, during long corners and after i exit the corner it is the worst and lasts for several seconds.. it sounds almost as if there wasn't enough oil or something like that.. rumbling, chatter... and it doesnt matter if i drive slow or fast, doing 5 mph turn has same effect. It also happens if i floor it and rev to higher rpms, say higher than 5k, but that's not so prominent and you can't hear it very much, or if i do powerslide, or launch the car a bit harder.. It always almost completely dissapears after few hundred meters of straight driving though.. Anyway now it is waay worse than before, and that is considering the old oil was in the diff for 200k kms.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Another drain and fill with correct fluid ought to help. 200k, power slides and "launches" aren't going to help it any you know.
    Was debris in the oil the first time it was changed? Any metal?
    Last edited by ross1; 02-22-2017 at 12:29 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1992 E34 525i
    I know it's not going to help, i dont even do this very often, i said it just to give you more information. No the oil actually didn't look that bad.. So if i put LSD oil in it, what if it really is open, would it destroy it?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Limited slip differentials use a "friction modifier", you look it up, all I know is that a diff. with clutches(limited slip)behaves poorly without this. Using the additive or "LSD" fluid will not harm an open differential.

If you are unsure what type diff you have you can lift the rear wheels and turn the driveshaft by hand. If both wheels turn the same direction you have a limited slip diff., if one turns(right) or turn opposite directions yours is "open". no limited slip.

Assuming your trouble IS the differential clutches you have effectively rinsed it with the first oil change and some driving. Another change with correct oil might cure the problem.
    Last edited by ross1; 02-22-2017 at 04:01 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue