Thread: I blew up my '95 530i... :( . - What do I do NOW?

My Cars
    1995 530i

I blew up my '95 530i... :( . - What do I do NOW?

I had a waterpump fail on the highway with my 530i, and unfortunately, before I could safely get to the shoulder of the freeway, I think my head-gasket blew.

The car only has 92K miles, and aside from the engine, the car is in really good shape. It is not my daily driver.

I have no idea what to from here. My gut tells me the best $ solution is to sell it and write it off. My heart tells me to get off my a** and learn how to replace a head-gasket. The other option I have, for better or worse, just about ruled out is spending a fortune to have somebody else do it.

What in the world should I do??

Here's a pic in happier days...
    Last edited by SRVwannab; 02-19-2017 at 05:58 PM.

My Cars
    are slow
    M60B40s are cheeap.

My Cars
    1995 530i
    Thank you for your quick response! Is that what you would do? How would you go about finding one? What would you be willing to spend and how many miles would be "acceptable" to you if you were in my shoes?

Thanks again!

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    If you're not mechanically inclined, it will probably cost you at least a couple of grand to find, buy, ship and have someone install another engine for you.

Maybe spend a little bit and see what is actually wrong with it. Then go from there.
    demet

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    hire someone from this forum to go by check out and replace headgasket. Low milage engine, nice car.

My Cars
    1995 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyhead97 View Post
    hire someone from this forum to go by check out and replace headgasket. Low milage engine, nice car.
    Anybody in Utah??

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by SRVwannab View Post
    Thank you for your quick response! Is that what you would do? How would you go about finding one? What would you be willing to spend and how many miles would be "acceptable" to you if you were in my shoes?

Thanks again!
    As long is has good compression, miles are basically irrelevant. If you get a B40 (which is drop in) it'll feel like an entirely different car with 60+ more hp and muh torque. Somebody can probably get the job in and out for $1200-2000, even less if you want to reuse the weaker 5HP18 transmission.
    Last edited by XAlt; 02-19-2017 at 07:08 PM.

My Cars
    e34 m5, touring; e46 (x2
    Just a thought...but my first move would be to confirm your suspicion re: blown head gasket. While not as accurate as more sophisticated tests, a quick and easy DIY test would be to pick up a chemical combustion leak tester and see what it yields. If it comes up positive, then your suspicion is on point. If it comes up negative, it may be worth bringing your car to a reliable indy shop for a professional diagnosis. Hope it is not as bad you think.

For your reference, here is a link to an example of a combustion tester: https://www.amazon.com/UVIEW-560000-...on+leak+tester

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Exactly how long did it overheat before you stopped? And what symptoms lead you to believe a headgasket is blown? It's pretty rare to blow gaskets on an M60, but of course if you overheat long enough, that or worse will definitely happen.

My Cars
    1995 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    Exactly how long did it overheat before you stopped? And what symptoms lead you to believe a headgasket is blown? It's pretty rare to blow gaskets on an M60, but of course if you overheat long enough, that or worse will definitely happen.
    I don't know how long the temp was pegged- I saw that it was when I looked down at it. On the freeway exit a good Samaritan who was also a mechanic- pulled over spent some time with it- he told me that it was a headgasket.

I respect your point and will get a second opinion. Thank you for it.

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by SRVwannab View Post
    I don't know how long the temp was pegged- I saw that it was when I looked down at it. On the freeway exit a good Samaritan who was also a mechanic- pulled over spent some time with it- he told me that it was a headgasket.

I respect your point and will get a second opinion. Thank you for it.
    Assuming he didn't have any diagnostic tools with him, either there's coolant in the oil (you can easily check that yourself), or he just guessed. If there is coolant in the oil, could be as simple as changing the gasket, or could be one or both heads cracked, or maybe even the block (thinking of worse case scenario). If there's not coolant in the oil, you can just refill the coolant and see if the engine still works (the old water pump will probably last long enough to do this), or you can go straight to testing things like the compression or testing for combustion residue in the coolant.

My Cars
    89 325i, 95 Nissan 240SX
    My 530i just blew up 2 weeks ago too, same color too xD just do an M60B40 swap, cheap and easy and a big upgrade, or get a replacement M60b30 their really cheap or just fix the head gasket.

My Cars
    01 M5, 93 M5, 94 525iT
    If you love the car, which it sounds like you do, what's a reasonable amount to you to fix the car? Once you decide that I'd get a couple estimates for head gasket and engine replacement and see how they align. If it's as well kept as you say it should be an easy sell to someone who is willing to spend the time/money to get it done if you're ready to cut.

All of us that own E34s long term will most likely have to make this decision some day. I'd be willing to bet you could buy a 540i locally for a grand or so, keep the M60B40/transmission and part the rest to recoup your costs a bit. I'd have the M60B40 rebuilt and installed. After that you should be good to go for years to come. You might even be able to get a couple hundred for your current engine and transmission. Just a thought...
    Tommy L.

(
    oOO \ (IIII) (IIII) / OOo)

-o- (##########) -o-

2001 BMW M5 LMB
    LHD Euro
    Bilstein PSS, Black Kidneys, Dinan Rear Anti-sway Bar, Matte Black Style 65, UUC SSK w/DSSR, Alpine iLX-007, Alpine MRV-F 340 Amp, Boston Acoustics Pro components, Alpine MRP-M450 Amp, Infinity Kappa 102.7W Sub x2

Current Garage:

1993 BMW M5
    1994 BMW 525i Touring 5spd
    2004 Ford SVT Lightning

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    It looks worth saving IF you do it yourself or don't mind spending the value of the car again to pay someone else to do the work.
    At 90k if all it needs are head gaskets(motor is otherwise sound and not leaking like the Valdez) I suggest repairs to your engine as you'll be hard pressed to find a lower mile replacement engine, 3 or 4 liter. Rebuilding that V8 is extremely expensive and virtually nobody does it, if the motor is toast find a good used replacement,4.0 preferred. A well cared for M60 will last 200k easy but will probably be a leaker unless already re-sealed. Do your homework regarding Nikasil and approach any Nik motor with caution.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    Assuming he didn't have any diagnostic tools with him, either there's coolant in the oil (you can easily check that yourself), or he just guessed. If there is coolant in the oil, could be as simple as changing the gasket, or could be one or both heads cracked, or maybe even the block (thinking of worse case scenario). If there's not coolant in the oil, you can just refill the coolant and see if the engine still works (the old water pump will probably last long enough to do this), or you can go straight to testing things like the compression or testing for combustion residue in the coolant.
    Sounds like it was cooked pretty well. Do M60's pull the threads from the block like some of the aluminum 6s?

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2003 328i
    There is no other sensible option beyond installing a B40. Replacing head gaskets on an M60 would require pulling the motor anyway. Just doesn't make sense to put the B30 back in.

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    It looks worth saving IF you do it yourself or don't mind spending the value of the car again to pay someone else to do the work.
    At 90k if all it needs are head gaskets(motor is otherwise sound and not leaking like the Valdez) I suggest repairs to your engine as you'll be hard pressed to find a lower mile replacement engine, 3 or 4 liter. Rebuilding that V8 is extremely expensive and virtually nobody does it, if the motor is toast find a good used replacement,4.0 preferred. A well cared for M60 will last 200k easy but will probably be a leaker unless already re-sealed. Do your homework regarding Nikasil and approach any Nik motor with caution.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like it was cooked pretty well. Do M60's pull the threads from the block like some of the aluminum 6s?

I never heard of it happening, but people don't usually open them up after a catastrophe. Just buy another one.

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by nonturbodan View Post
    Replacing head gaskets on an M60 would require pulling the motor anyway.
    I don't think that's true, but the person doing it will probably wish they'd removed it. Found this random pic:

My Cars
    e34 530i
    I had to replace the head gaskets on my M60B30 in 2009 as a result of a head bolt failure and done it with the engine in the car. See the process in this link http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/657749.

I would check out your engine condition as it may have survived the overheat.

When you pull the heads you have to replace a lot more than just the head gaskets and the list does grow. Intake manifold gaskets, set of new head bolts (stretch to yield), exhaust gaskets, valve cover gaskets, probably valley cover gasket, timing cover gaskets, knock sensors, etc. It would be much easier to pull the engine and do all the gaskets or find another motor. A M60B40 would be the choice but will shorten the life of the 5HP18. A 5 speed manual transmission would handle it .
    DSC09708.jpg
    Last edited by 530 i; 02-21-2017 at 03:30 AM.

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by nonturbodan View Post
    There is no other sensible option beyond installing a B40. Replacing head gaskets on an M60 would require pulling the motor anyway. Just doesn't make sense to put the B30 back in.
    This. Every B30 is a brick waiting to get swapped.

My Cars
    95 540i/6
    Yeah, I would never, ever want to do a head gasket job with the motor in the car. I agree with everyone else. m60b40 and roll it like you stole it.

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallnoise View Post
    Yeah, I would never, ever want to do a head gasket job with the motor in the car. I agree with everyone else. m60b40 and roll it like you stole it.
    I'd even keep the 5HP18, put in fresh fluid and win.