My Cars
    2002 BMW X5 3.0

Question Recently purchased an E53. Have questions!

Hi all! First-time poster.

Last month I purchased a 2002 X5 3.0i that just rolled over 200,000 miles (LP38804.) After buying, I replaced a dead alternator and installed new tires on all four corners. I've put about 2,000 miles on it so far. This is my first BMW and I love it! I'll toss up some photos further down. But like any 14-year-old luxury car, it does have a couple of minor quirks. Any fixes, I can probably perform on my own - I'm mechanically-inclined, have a BAFX 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII scanner, and I am going to order a K-Line cable very soon.

My X5 Doesn't Go To Sleep:

As it says on the tin, mine does not seem to go to sleep after 16 minutes like most do! I've confirmed with the 12v outlet next to the ashtray; mine never turns off. I've also noticed that the Park light is still on hours after I've locked the vehicle. I've read on various forums that this is normal for some models?

Key Memory:

This has become the bane of my existence! The key fobs/remotes seem to be programmed to the previous owner's seat positions and no amount of trying steps I find on the internet seems to help with programming in my own settings. I'd even be fine with disabling the feature entirely at this point!

1. Is there any way to achieve this without special tools or paying a stealership?
    2. Barring that, can I do it manually via K-Line with INPA/NCS?

Transmission:

As far as I can tell, mine has the A5S390R. Sometimes, the transmission exhibits hard up-shifts even with fairly restrained driving. Going from start to stop will kick like a mule about every 10th or 15th time. This also occurs at random gear shifts seemingly through the entire range; it's not always 1-2, or when I go from stop to start. Transmission temp seems to have no bearing on hard shifting.

More worrying - when I floor the pedal on the highway, it will very rarely rev up past redline and hold it for about a second before shifting. This has happened a few times since I've owned the car.

I've Googled these problems extensively but nothing concrete has presented itself.

1. People say there is an EGS firmware update. Could that solve the problem?
    2. Service history shows no transmission service; could it just be old fluid/filter causing these problems?
    3. Would I be taking a risk by draining it and replacing the fluid/filter at this point?

Rear Camber:

The rear wheels sometimes look as if they have excessive camber after I drive it. But, sometimes it looks okay. The tires are definitely going to wear on the inside faster.

Upper control arms?

Rain Sensor:

From what I can gather from the VIN decoder this vehicle is equipped with the rain sensor (option S521.) However, it does not seem to work. When I flick the wiper stalk up to Position 1 it only gives intermittent interval whether it's raining or not. The adjustment knob also does not seem to have any effect on the interval.

Any way I can diag this? My wiper stalk looks like this:

Headlight Washer Pump:

Unfortunately, mine is out. Anyone know the manufacturer part number for this? AutoZone and Advance don't even know it exists, and I don't want to pay BMW $150+ for a pump that should rightly cost $25 at most.

Rust Spots:

The hood has these odd sections where paint seems to be missing in the body gap on both sides! Rust has started forming there.

1. Is this common?
    2. Is there a cheapish way I can fix this?

If anyone has any input into these questions I'd really appreciate the insight! And if you've made it this far, thanks for reading

Photos!
    Pre-buy:

First cleaning:

Checking for old fault codes (none) and logging live data:
    Last edited by SineDeviance; 02-20-2017 at 01:37 AM.
    2002 BMW X5 3.0i

My Cars
    2001 525it
    So there are two types of key memory. One is who ever drives the car last, the key would remember that setting, so if you go drive the car, now the key will remember your settings. If each of you don't swap the keys back and forth. Then settings would be remembered. The second one is the memory you select with the memory switch buttons on the drivers seat side panel. As far as the rain sensor, if the windshield has been replaced with after market glass, look for BMW logo on lower corner of windshield, the installer could have fouled things up. Washer pump try fcp online. Or don't replace it at all.

My Cars
    2002 BMW X5 3.0
    Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    So there are two types of key memory. One is who ever drives the car last, the key would remember that setting, so if you go drive the car, now the key will remember your settings. If each of you don't swap the keys back and forth. Then settings would be remembered.
    This is my problem, yeah. It doesn't remember the previous setting no matter which key is used. Every time I unlock the car with the unlock button on EITHER key, it resets the seat and mirrors to someone else's settings.

The second one is the memory you select with the memory switch buttons on the drivers seat side panel.
    That is working fine. I've got my seat profile programmed into all three buttons.

As far as the rain sensor, if the windshield has been replaced with after market glass, look for BMW logo on lower corner of windshield, the installer could have fouled things up.
    Okay, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Washer pump try fcp online. Or don't replace it at all.
    I actually found the pump and the grommet on Rock Auto for just $12! I could have sworn I'd already checked them and it was around $90. I must have been thinking of a different supplier.

2002 BMW X5 3.0i

My Cars
    2002 BMW X5 3.0
    The forum seems to have eaten my original post after I made an edit, so here it is again:

Hi all! First-time poster.

Last month I purchased a 2002 X5 3.0i that just rolled over 200,000 miles (LP38804.) After buying, I replaced a dead alternator and installed new tires on all four corners. I've put about 2,000 miles on it so far. This is my first BMW and I love it! I'll toss up some photos further down. But like any 14-year-old luxury car, it does have a couple of minor quirks. Any fixes, I can probably perform on my own - I'm mechanically-inclined, have a BAFX 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII scanner, and I am going to order a K-Line cable very soon.

My X5 Doesn't Go To Sleep:

As it says on the tin, mine does not seem to go to sleep after 16 minutes like most do! I've confirmed with the 12v outlet next to the ashtray; mine never turns off. I've also noticed that the Park light is still on hours after I've locked the vehicle. I've read on various forums that this is normal for some models?

Key Memory:

This has become the bane of my existence! The key fobs/remotes seem to be programmed to the previous owner's seat positions and no amount of trying steps I find on the internet seems to help with programming in my own settings. I'd even be fine with disabling the feature entirely at this point!

1. Is there any way to achieve this without special tools or paying a stealership?
    2. Barring that, can I do it manually via K-Line with INPA/NCS?

Transmission:

As far as I can tell, mine has the A5S390R. Sometimes, the transmission exhibits hard up-shifts even with fairly restrained driving. Going from start to stop will kick like a mule about every 10th or 15th time. This also occurs at random gear shifts seemingly through the entire range; it's not always 1-2, or when I go from stop to start. Transmission temp seems to have no bearing on hard shifting.

More worrying - when I floor the pedal on the highway, it will very rarely rev up past redline and hold it for about a second before shifting. This has happened a few times since I've owned the car.

I've Googled these problems extensively but nothing concrete has presented itself.

1. People say there is an EGS firmware update. Could that solve the problem?
    2. Service history shows no transmission service; could it just be old fluid/filter causing these problems?
    3. Would I be taking a risk by draining it and replacing the fluid/filter at this point?

Rear Camber:

The rear wheels sometimes look as if they have excessive camber after I drive it. But, sometimes it looks okay. The tires are definitely going to wear on the inside faster.

Upper control arms?

Rain Sensor:

From what I can gather from the VIN decoder this vehicle is equipped with the rain sensor (option S521.) However, it does not seem to work. When I flick the wiper stalk up to Position 1 it only gives intermittent interval whether it's raining or not. The adjustment knob also does not seem to have any effect on the interval.

Any way I can diag this? My wiper stalk looks like this:

Headlight Washer Pump:

Unfortunately, mine is out. Anyone know the manufacturer part number for this? AutoZone and Advance don't even know it exists, and I don't want to pay BMW $150+ for a pump that should rightly cost $25 at most.

Rust Spots:

The hood has these odd sections where paint seems to be missing in the body gap on both sides! Rust has started forming there.

1. Is this common?
    2. Is there a cheapish way I can fix this?

If anyone has any input into these questions I'd really appreciate the insight! And if you've made it this far, thanks for reading

Photos!
    Pre-buy:

First cleaning:

Checking for old fault codes (none) and logging live data:
    2002 BMW X5 3.0i

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    It has not eaten your post, but as you are a new member and have only a few posts, the forum software spam=o=matic needs a manual approval of a moderator, so just be patient till you have 10 posts.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    2002 BMW X5 3.0
    Ahh, that explains everything. Thanks!
    2002 BMW X5 3.0i