Thread: is there a way to test the keyfob charger

My Cars
    2009 328xi

is there a way to test the keyfob charger

Basically what the title says.. my koyfob isn't working (non CA). I already changed my diversity antenna, with no change.

I want to test the charging system for the key fob before I spring for a new fob. Does anyone know how to do this?

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    What you are describing would be pretty difficult, but may be possible. The diversity antenna should both authenticate and charge the key inductively. If the key works in the ignition, it should receive a charge. It takes something like a month of use to fully charge those key batteries. If you want to test the inductive charger, they sell cheap testers on aliexpress that consist of a coil and an led. If you stick the key in the ignition and get the detector coil over the key, you just might see the led light up. If the key won't take a charge, you might try a cheap inductive toothbrush charger. It is possible that the key battery is too worn down to accept a charge though.

My Cars
    2009 328xi
    Ok i might have to try that. I've had the car for about a month and it hasnt worked at all since I got it. Neither diversity antenna has thrown any codes that I can see with Carly. Am I right assuming it would throw a code if it was unable to receive a signal?

I should probably get a second key anyways, so maybe ill do that first and see if that one goes dead too. I just hate to throw parts at it instead of actually diagnosing the problem