Thread: Looking at purchasing 2010 750Li overheat warning on iDrive

My Cars
    05 E46 M3

Looking at purchasing 2010 750Li overheat warning on iDrive

Eagerily looking at purchasing a 2010 750Li with about 60k miles on the clock. Long wheel base 7 has been a dream
    However, an issue which I suspect could be a major deciding factor that I noticed.

Inspected the car when the engine was cold and immediately on start up there an error message appeared " Engine Malfunction Notification, Engine Overheated ... To Drive Moderately, and if this message pops up again to have BMW Service look at it." Or something similar. Then I noticed the A/C was blowing warm air even when set to the coolest setting.

The error message disappeared after about a few minutes and even going into vehicle status did not reveal anything.

I allowed the engine to run for about 15 mins and no issues or hesitations. At this time could not check the coolant tank as the engine had already reached operating temp.

During the 15 mins or so the engine ran smoothly, no odd noises etc. One thing I did notice though was white smoke from the exhaust upon giving it a little gas which could be condensation, I know for a fact this car has not been driven for a month or so I could be a possibility.

What do you guys think? Could it be a major issue such as allowing the l engine to overheat requiring a rebuild or some other minor issue which upon searching could be a stuck thermostat or early signs of a water pump failure?

Not sure at this stage, may go for another visit and check the coolant reservoir.

My Cars
    lol....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzi View Post
    Eagerily looking at purchasing a 2010 750Li with about 60k miles on the clock. Long wheel base 7 has been a dream
    However, an issue which I suspect could be a major deciding factor that I noticed.

Inspected the car when the engine was cold and immediately on start up there an error message appeared " Engine Malfunction Notification, Engine Overheated ... To Drive Moderately, and if this message pops up again to have BMW Service look at it." Or something similar. Then I noticed the A/C was blowing warm air even when set to the coolest setting.

The error message disappeared after about a few minutes and even going into vehicle status did not reveal anything.

I allowed the engine to run for about 15 mins and no issues or hesitations. At this time could not check the coolant tank as the engine had already reached operating temp.

During the 15 mins or so the engine ran smoothly, no odd noises etc. One thing I did notice though was white smoke from the exhaust upon giving it a little gas which could be condensation, I know for a fact this car has not been driven for a month or so I could be a possibility.

What do you guys think? Could it be a major issue such as allowing the l engine to overheat requiring a rebuild or some other minor issue which upon searching could be a stuck thermostat or early signs of a water pump failure?

Not sure at this stage, may go for another visit and check the coolant reservoir.
    Steer clear my friend...the white smoke is worn valve seals and the overheat warning could only spell bad news ...take it from a fellow member whose Ben through 2 750i lemons back to back 2010 sport and ah7 2011 and still battling the 2nd ...
    e39 M5 | e38 740i Sport | e34 M5 | s63 AMG | Porsche 911 Cabriolet 1985 | Porsche 911s coupe 1977 | Range Rover Autobiography

My Cars
    05 E46 M3
    Deposit paid before I got to reading your msg
    I'm praying, this one i got below market value here by as much as 15-20k.

Worn valve seals sounds similar to the E60 550i I had before I got rid of it. When left idle and then hitting the gas produced a large puff of smoke otherwise unnoticeable. This F02 did not exhibit this.

I don't believe it is as cataphoric as a blown motor or something similar. These cars from the early E90's have a safety feature whereby the engine shuts down if the temp reaches a certain range before doing serious damage.

We will see... i'll update upon delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by miylive View Post
    Steer clear my friend...the white smoke is worn valve seals and the overheat warning could only spell bad news ...take it from a fellow member whose Ben through 2 750i lemons back to back 2010 sport and ah7 2011 and still battling the 2nd ...

My Cars
    2016 Audi A4, BMW
    The waiting time can be hard some times..