My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 3.0i

Question about airbag control unit (light is on) and factory radio

Can I use an airbag control unit (module) with a different part number in my car, after it has been coded? I currently have a 2001 X5 3.0i and I am considering in purchasing a used airbag control unit (has been in an accident but no airbag deployment). Does it have to be the same part number?

What prompted me in replacing the unit is this error messages I get from BMW Scanner 1.4:

F0[240] Internal control unit fault
    03[003] Belt tensioner, front passenger
    15[021] Seat belt buckle, front passenger
    1A[026] Seat occupancy recognition 1 (SBE1)
    02[002] Belt tensioner, driver
    14[020] Seat belt buckle, driver
    02[002] Belt tensioner, driver

These errors are listed under "Fault currently not present," yellow. Belt tensioner for the driver was red, but I fixed it by replacing the buckle from my old seat. So it does seem to communicate but I can't reset errors to get rid of the airbag light. I re-installed the old passenger seat and tried to reset the light, and it gave the same error. It might be worth mentioning that I replaced my seats from a donor 2001 X5 3.0i that was in an accident (with driver side airbag deployment).

My other question is, how can I program my factory radio (without DSP) to turn on without having the key in the ignition? I swapped out the radio with another X5 and it stopped working.

Any help will be appreciated. The airbag question is obviously more pressing.

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5
    Darklight, I am no expert but it looks like the airbag light needs a specific SRS reset tool to reset the module. You may not need a module at all, just a reset.

See the post from Qsilver7 on 12-6-13