Thread: Finally defeated by the fan clutch nut, must be getting old and feeble.

My Cars
    hiss by my window

Finally defeated by the fan clutch nut, must be getting old and feeble.

For a very long time I have removed the fan clutches using a wrench and BFH. This method has served me well, until yesterday.
    I hammered away for several minutes and managed to almost bash the fender with a missed blow as I was getting tired swinging a 3# hammer.
    With a bit of grinding on an old garage door opener bracket I fabricated a crude tool to hold the pulley and it was off in a flash.
    My apologies to all those who've posted over the years struggling to remove a fan clutch where I simply replied with something to the effect of "hit it harder".

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Lol, its hell to get old.

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    I took mine off 2 winters ago. It stays in my trunk just in case i get stuck in traffic.
    "**if you suck at driving, it certainly could put you into a curb. Don't suck."

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by mboor View Post
    It stays in my trunk just in case i get stuck in traffic.
    That would be fun times on the side of the road trying to start those damn threads with a hot engine.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    That would be fun times on the side of the road trying to start those damn threads with a hot engine.
    Normally yes. I have no fan shroud, and the factory air box is no more, There's actually a decent amount of room, it spins right on.
    "**if you suck at driving, it certainly could put you into a curb. Don't suck."

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    what is the nominal value of the visco fan clutch for the M50, M52 to open? The same fan clutch part number 11527505302 is also used on S50, S52 engines, Z3, E39, and even an E38 and X. engine.
    I have checked in realoem but there is no info, when I check for my E32 750 M70 it says 92 degree Celsius for 111527502804 visco fan clutch. On the original fan clutch there is only the bmw and Behr logo and the part number.
    As far as I could check, dimensions and connections are same for both, maybe just the bimetal might be slightly different which is probably neglectable.
    Standard t-stat for the M70 is 85 degree C, while the S52 for example runs with 88 degree C. t-stat.

Looks like all the aftermarket visco fan clutches are not that specific, as there are endless OE part numbers for comparison purpose usually mentioned.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    what is the nominal value of the visco fan clutch for the M50, M52 to open? The same fan clutch part number 11527505302 is also used on S50, S52 engines, Z3, E39, and even an E38 and X. engine.
    I have checked in realoem but there is no info, when I check for my E32 750 M70 it says 92 degree Celsius for 111527502804 visco fan clutch. On the original fan clutch there is only the bmw and Behr logo and the part number.
    As far as I could check, dimensions and connections are same for both, maybe just the bimetal might be slightly different which is probably neglectable.
    Standard t-stat for the M70 is 85 degree C, while the S52 for example runs with 88 degree C. t-stat.

Looks like all the aftermarket visco fan clutches are not that specific, as there are endless OE part numbers for comparison purpose usually mentioned.
    I don't know the temp they are supposed to work at.

Something I have noticed with some replacements is that they seem to open late(some seemingly never) as they are noisier, perhaps they are meant to also swing a larger fan. The aftermarket might be more concerned with consolidating numbers/applications than a bit of fan noise.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T