Thread: Need some help with starter replacement - 2005 545i, N62 engine. Automatic Trans.

My Cars
    2005 545i 90k, 1995 540i

Need some help with starter replacement - 2005 545i, N62 engine. Automatic Trans.

I am needing some help with replacing the starter in my E60, with the V8 engine. There is surprisingly little information out there on how to do this. What I have found is astoundingly scary. I called BMW, and they tell me this job is over $1,700, with 10hrs of labor for a BMW mechanic. Thus, this is a pretty serious job. I have no intention of paying the dealer to change my starter, but I like to have some good advice before going after a job of this magnitude. I will post what I have found thus far. Strangely... I'm not even 100% sure which side the starter is on, given everything I have seen on this!!! I think its on the passenger side, but I have not even been able to see it with my own eyes, even after removing the wheel well skin, and peeking around.

This is the scary youtube video I found on the job... Given the magnitude, this would look consistent with what would take a BMW mechanic 10hrs with all the proper tools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU1aTvtODyU

Another member, ptarditi, posted this message:

Sorry for your problems, but I don't know who has made replacing this starter so difficult. Its one of the easier ones to replace. Disconnect the battery, remove the micro filters and their housings, remove the top of the airbox and then the boot to the throttle, disconnect the fuel line by the upper part of the intake manifold, remove the connector to the oil pressure switch, remove the intake manifold nuts and bolts, move the intake manifold to the side, remove the intake manifold studs, at least the first three. I use a really good 11mm gear wrench to get the bolt at the back of the starter and the e14 torx to get the front lower bolt. Out she goes!!

I was unable to confirm with ptarditi if this was indeed an N62 engine an automatic transmission. I believe that combination leads to this horrendous job. I was hoping for some more practical help, and shortcuts.

Thank you.
    Last edited by martinav; 02-16-2017 at 11:10 PM.

My Cars
    750 F01, 850i, LR3 HSE
    For the N62 motor the actual requirement is to remove the exhaust manifold and right engine mount. It can be done by leaving the manifold in place, raise and support the engine, removing the right engine mount and bracket and then lowering the subframe enough to wiggle it out. The repair info you quoted below from another member is for the 6 cylinder engine not the V8.

Quote Originally Posted by martinav View Post
    I am needing some help with replacing the starter in my E60, with the V8 engine. There is surprisingly little information out there on how to do this. What I have found is astoundingly scary. I called BMW, and they tell me this job is over $1,700, with 10hrs of labor for a BMW mechanic. Thus, this is a pretty serious job. I have no intention of paying the dealer to change my starter, but I like to have some good advice before going after a job of this magnitude. I will post what I have found thus far. Strangely... I'm not even 100% sure which side the starter is on, given everything I have seen on this!!! I think its on the passenger side, but I have not even been able to see it with my own eyes, even after removing the wheel well skin, and peeking around.

This is the scary youtube video I found on the job... Given the magnitude, this would look consistent with what would take a BMW mechanic 10hrs with all the proper tools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU1aTvtODyU

Another member, ptarditi, posted this message:

Sorry for your problems, but I don't know who has made replacing this starter so difficult. Its one of the easier ones to replace. Disconnect the battery, remove the micro filters and their housings, remove the top of the airbox and then the boot to the throttle, disconnect the fuel line by the upper part of the intake manifold, remove the connector to the oil pressure switch, remove the intake manifold nuts and bolts, move the intake manifold to the side, remove the intake manifold studs, at least the first three. I use a really good 11mm gear wrench to get the bolt at the back of the starter and the e14 torx to get the front lower bolt. Out she goes!!

I was unable to confirm with ptarditi if this was indeed an N62 engine an automatic transmission. I believe that combination leads to this horrendous job. I was hoping for some more practical help, and shortcuts.

Thank you.

My Cars
    Correct. What you quoted is for a 6 cylinder.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician