Thread: How To: Electric window motor replacement

My Cars
    2 e9's, 320is, 996 Turbo

How To: Electric window motor replacement

Hi folks, I thought I would do a quick write up on electric window replacement (this concerns the rear windows but is probably the same for the front).

Always a good idea to disconnect the battery but what's life without a little danger.

Check to be sure the child safety switch is not depressed as the reason for the rear windows not working :-)

First, remove the door panel- there are instructions on that but it's easy, just go slow and be careful. **the door latch cable has a plastic sheath that needs to be pulled back to get it free**You should order some new door clips (green) before you begin (rmeuropean.com)- I like these guys. Also be sure to order the plastic sliders (2 per side). The sliders are the white plastic pieces with the metal clip that the regulator arm balls snap into. If your windows don't work I can pretty much guarantee the sliders are in pieces. Special note* you can replace the motors without removing the regulators but it will take you twice as long so just take the whole mess out of the door.

Once the panel is off there are 2 funky torx screws that hold the metal motor on to the plastic gear box. The gear box IS the problem, not the motors, but I don't think you can get them individually. Remove the metal motor and that will allow you to move the window. You can not move the window up or down with the motor attached to the gearbox.

Once removed, push the window all the way down and tale off the clips that hold the "arm balls" onto the sliders. A good set of needle nose pliers works well for removal and installation of these.

When the window is free push it all the way up and hold it up with duct tape as sort of shown in the pictures below.

Take a picture of where all the wires are held in because they should go back into their holders and catches so they don't get squeezed when you put the door panel back on.

Oh, you can also order the little clear grommets that go into the hooks and locks which will be destroyed by now.

There are 4 10mm bolts that hold the regulator in and 3 torx bolts that attach the door catch (all 7 have to be removed) and one of the torx bolts is behind the door weatherstripping so you'll have to get to that. Again, it's easy, just take your time, have some beverages and an ash-tray handy if you smoke.. and drink..

Pull the regulator out towards the front seats (obvious) and if you want to make it a little easier since the regulator arms are spring loaded hold them in the down position using a wire tie.

Once the full regulator is out of the door put it on a bench and clean it completely. This is when the plastic sliders will fall into pieces. Please trust me, get the sliders, I think they are 2 bucks a piece, you don't want to do this job more than once if you don't have to. When the window is down (do not remove it) you should clean the felts with a soft brush and compressed air. This will really help and the windows will look better when they're up.

There are 3 torx bolts that hold the gear box on from the back, remove the gear box and clean all the sliding pieces and re-grease them.

When everything is clean and regreased (including the tracks attached to the bottom of the window that is still in the door) grease everything up and put the sliders in the window tracks. You will have to lower the window a little to do this, then pull it back up.. sorry, I repeat, when everything is cleaned up, pull the regulator arms all the way down and keep them there with a wire tie as you will have removed the first wire tie one to clean all the teeth.

Now, with the arms held down put in the new motors and gearboxes (as 1 unit- don't take apart). By doing this you will not have to remove the motor from the gear box when you install. Also, one of the felt/rubber window guides is attached to the regulator so don't forget to brush that out as well. You can now position the regulator back in the door with the window ALL THE WAY UP- this is how you get the glass to get in the groove. Don't be afraid to fiddle around but don't force anything.

Once the regulator is in correctly you will know because the door catch will be aligned and you'll be able to put in 2 of the 3 torx bolts.

Once the torx bolts are in you can put in the other 10mm bolts and snug them up. Now, LOWER the window and pop the arm balls into the NEW plastic guides and insert the clips. Once everything is looking good, tighten the four 10mm bolts and the 3 torx bolts, reconnect the wires and test the window with the door panel off.

Life should be swell. Now put your panel on and enjoy life.

These are my shots, note the plastic gear with the missing teeth. THIS IS THE PROBLEM! The motor, once bound will NOT move even though it's pretty powerful so don't waste allot of time checking switches.

More pictures on next post
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2 e9's, 320is, 996 Turbo

window pictures

I hope this write up is helpful. It won't make the job easier but it shows that it can be done if you take it slow and steady
    Attachment 593240Attachment 593241Attachment 593242Attachment 593243Attachment 593244
    Attached Images Attached Images