Thread: Headliner Conversion

radlaw is offline SoCalEights Member BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci

Question Headliner Conversion

As many have posted, the sunroof-delete headliner is NLA. Quite a few, including me, would like to remove the sunroof. Has anyone converted a sunroof headliner into a sunroof delete one? Seems like this is feasible by cutting out the sunroof & sunroof cassette part of the headliner and filling it in with comparable material. I have seen where the sunroof opening was filled in; so it seems the entire component could be removed and filled in. Thoughts???

My Cars
    91 850i 59k
    just like you said, it is possible and doable, but the original sunroof delete headliner will give you 2" more of head space..
    91 850i 59k

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Once I finish the car I am currently working on, I will look into playing around with a spare headliner - I have a couple of ideas that might actually work very well since I personally know what the sunroof-delete headliner looks like. When I get to it, I will take plenty of pictures.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by supavnick View Post
    ...but the original sunroof delete headliner will give you 2" more of head space..
    By removing the segment of the sunroof where the carriage was located should give you that 2"

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    I am thinking of picking up a non-sunroof panel from the dealership and making a carbon fiber overlay that I can adhere to the outside of my roof to eliminate the sunroof opening. I am thinking this would be much easier and possibly less expensive than having to weld up the sheet metal or completely swap out the roof panel with new sheet metal which would involve pulling both the front and rear glass panels and a considerable repaint effort. It could be an interesting adventure. I have two really good friends that work in the carbon fiber industry- one builds land speed motorcycles and the other race boats. Both expressed interest in helping me. If there are others interested it could help offset the cost of the material and the sheet metal donor roof ($800 or so) if we pulled multiple panels from it. Let me know what you guys think...

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by UNEEKONE View Post
    I am thinking of picking up a non-sunroof panel from the dealership and making a carbon fiber overlay that I can adhere to the outside of my roof to eliminate the sunroof opening...
    That still doesn't address the sunroof delete headliner issue.

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by radlaw View Post
    That still doesn't address the sunroof delete headliner issue.
    Agreed, but if I don't have a sunroof any longer I will be forced to make a new headliner which then I could replicate as well...

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    I am thinking of picking up a non-sunroof panel from the dealership and making a carbon fiber overlay that I can adhere to the outside of my roof to eliminate the sunroof opening. I am thinking this would be much easier and possibly less expensive than having to weld up the sheet metal or completely swap out the roof panel with new sheet metal which would involve pulling both the front and rear glass panels and a considerable repaint effort. It could be an interesting adventure. I have two really good friends that work in the carbon fiber industry- one builds land speed motorcycles and the other race boats. Both expressed interest in helping me. If there are others interested it could help offset the cost of the material and the sheet metal donor roof ($800 or so) if we pulled multiple panels from it. Let me know what you guys think...
    i paid $200 to have it welded shut - definitely a lot cheaper than the way you are wanting to do it.

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    i paid $200 to have it welded shut - definitely a lot cheaper than the way you are wanting to do it.
    Agreed. Do you have any pictures showing the finished product? Any waviness? What did they use to fill the gap between the sunroof panel and the roof itself?

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Gap was filled with 1/8" steel rods. There is no waviness at all. The key is to get a welder that will mig weld it and one that knows what the hell they are doing.
    Last edited by TxGR8White; 02-23-2017 at 12:00 PM.

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    Agreed, but if I don't have a sunroof any longer I will be forced to make a new headliner which then I could replicate as well...
    Easier said than done!!