Thread: The 4GZ3

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.8

The 4GZ3

Hey all, just registered.

I am Justin. new to the BMW scene but not new to cars.

I bought my 99 Z3 2.8 early this year (17) from a buddy who got it from a buddy who got it from a budy who got it from a buddy who got it from the guy that swapped it blah blah blah. Basically it was swapped with a Nissan CA18DET.....neat concept huh? Except for the fact the trans was trashed, the swap was haggard, and I dont know jack about Nissan stuff. I already had plans for it before I acquired it though. I am sure that some of you know about the Mitsubishi 4g63. I have been a mitsu nut for the past 10 years...been planning a rwd roadster 4g build for 5 years, and here we are. I ripped all of the nissan junk out, stripped all the interior, wiring, everything. did some massive cutting on the firewall, stripped the interior floor pans, ect. Designed my mounts with 1/4 inch plate steel and 11ga .125 wall thickness 1.5 in round tube, and a Millermatic 211 in my shop at home. as for chassis wiring i went with a 22 circut Painless harness. I managed to retain a few factory switch and what not but this isn't a DD car. Power windows, a radio, clock.....thats it. No wipers, heat/ac, ect.

Engine/Trans
    1990 Mitsubishi 6 bolt 4g63
    Manley rods
    Manley Platnuim series pistons
    Kelford 272 cams
    ARP head studs
    Fidanza adjustable cam gears
    Jay Racing rwd coolant conversion
    Kiggly racing crank trigger
    ECMLink V3 with speed density
    JM Fabrications RWD Intake manifold
    Custom T3 Exhaust manifold
    Holset HX40 turbo
    Magnafuel 7303 external Fuel pump
    15 gallon sumped fuel cell

Bill Hincher T5 bellhousing Adapter
    Borg Warner T5
    Custom shifter relocation
    Southbend Clutch
    ACT flywheel
    Custom Driveshaft

This thing is still a project...waiting on the intake to get here then I'll be wiring the engine harness and work on getting it running with the dummy engine i have in it for mock up. once the whole thing is set up I'll pull the drivetrain out to close up all the holes in the firewall and to paint the engine bay aswell as putting the built engine in.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    interesting swap. I am familiar with the 4G63engines. I had a couple AWD 2g Talon turbo cars that I flipped. I used to work on 6G72 and 6G72TT powered cars all the time. I am also no stranger to Engine swaps, I have done 3 3rd gen RX-7 ls1 swaps.

I'd be interested in seeing some photos of what you have going on with your swap. I have plans for an LS swap in my M but probably wont get started on that for a year or two unfortunately (weddings are expensive).

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Cool. Get your post count up so you can show off some pics. Good luck with the build.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose