eBMWParts

Thread: E92 - Steering Wheel Alignment Help

My Cars
    None yet :(

E92 - Steering Wheel Alignment Help

So I picked up my 2008 335i Coupe in Sept. 2015 with about 33K on the ODO. The car is completely stock minus being lowered a little bit. Anyway, I am not at about 56K on the ODO, and i'd say for the past 6-8K miles, there has been a little bit of shaking in the wheel at above 70 MPH, and the wheel has been slightly off center, the wheel tilts a bit to the left when going completely straight.

So I took it in, had the wheels all balanced and just today a full alignment. The shaking is noticeably better overall (still slightly there) but the alignment of the wheel itself is off. I had this done at the dealer and they claimed that they got the alignment as perfect as they could, but they couldn't get it completely perfect due to the aftermarket springs. Now, these springs previously have been completely fine, my question is, is there any reason that a BMW dealership couldn't do a proper, FULL alignment just because they think the springs are not OEM? Also, is it possible that a spring (or both front springs) are so bad as to off-set just my wheel, and cause a little bit of vibration?

Simply trying to troubleshoot after a full balance and alignment.

EDIT: My springs are completely black, I can post pics if need be.
    Last edited by carbineguy; 02-14-2017 at 08:51 PM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Did they supply you with the before-after alignment spec sheet?
    Lowering springs mostly affect the camber rate, so there should be no problem with off center steering.
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 02-14-2017 at 10:07 PM.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Did they supply you with the before-after alignment spec sheet?
    Lowering springs mostly affect the camber rate, so there should be no problem with off center steering.

I don't have a spec sheet, I can attempt to get one tomorrow, the receipt just says this:

"Performed four wheel alignment per BMW spec. Note, vehicle appears to have lowered suspension. Unable to get right front camber within spec, suspect possible bent suspension components (strut). Left rear camber in spec but adjustment maxed out"

Now, I had the tech put it back up on the lift and while we were both looking at it, he did not say he explicitly saw anything bent or broken at that time.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Are you certain no damage occurred to coincide with the start of the shaking 6-8k miles ago, a certain pothole perhaps?
    Was steering centered and steering angle sensor reset/recalibrated during alignment?

My Cars
    Haven't hit any sort of pot holes that I can recall. The shaking and the wheel being off of center was a progressive issue that needed attention. It didn't just happen overnight. And again, the receipt suggests that that *may* be an issue, but I had them put it back up on a lift and look at it with me present and the tech verbally said 'nothing appears bent or broken'.

I'll have to inquire about the steering angle sensor and having the steering centered.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Well, since you are certain there hasn't been any damage, as well as describing symptoms as being progressive, then I would focus on worn components.
    Inspect all steering components for wear, looseness, such as: tie rods,balljoints,wishbones,radius rods,bushings,stablizer bar bushings,endlinks.