Thread: Charging System Problems

My Cars
    83 320i

Charging System Problems

While riding around the volt and amp gauge will go up and down with rpms and will peg to the max on the gauges around 3k rpms. This is randomly coming and going. Sometimes while it's being weird and we go over a bump it will stop.

I think it may be the alternator or the regulator, and have been told the regulator is built into the alternator. My dad thinks it could be a wire goign to the alternator grounding out or coming disconnected.

Also having a problem where it takes a bunch of tries before the car starts. It makes a click sound on each try but it only spins up on a few of them. Is the starter dying?

My Cars
    E21, E24, M3
    Check the alternator for the proper supply of volts ?I think its 14v?

Check the leads going to the alt. also check the ground cable.

Or maybe it just the guage...

You should check these out and narrow it down, trouble shooting may be your best bet in this case...

/Hey your E21 looks super kleen, post sum pix up or put it in this site's registry clicky

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    as Blitzed said, check the voltage at the alternator, check the wires at the alternator for corrosion, fraying, loose, etc.
    check the fuse box and go thru the fuses. For the problem of starting: see if you can spin it by connecting the wires directly to the battery thast will either eliminate the starter or signal it as the cause. My guess a wire is loose at the starter and it will make contact sometimes/sometimes not. Mine has the original 22 year old starter and it works fine. Thinking about it, when I bought it it had a lot of the original parts still.....
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    83 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzed310
    Check the alternator for the proper supply of volts ?I think its 14v?

Check the leads going to the alt. also check the ground cable.

Or maybe it just the guage...

You should check these out and narrow it down, trouble shooting may be your best bet in this case...

/Hey your E21 looks super kleen, post sum pix up or put it in this site's registry clicky
    Thing is both the voltage and amp gauge read normally when its not acting funny. And when their pegged all the gauge lights and headlights get brighter, and the wipers go insanely fast. And it usually does it while rolling but when it doing at idle the volts are lower then the 14 it will stay at usually.

And about the body stuff, I need to get a few more pics of it next time i'm at my dads, i think the sides and rears are zender but im not certain, and i think the wing a modified e30 one but the front bumper i have no idea on. All i know is its one piece not a euro bumper with a airdamn...

My Cars
    83 320i
    Ok so the regulator isnt part of the alternator.
    So maybe that'll fix it.

I got another question though, are there any places that are known to leak brake fluid on these cars?