Thread: My RPM jumps when I start my car.

My Cars
    '07 530 xi

My RPM jumps when I start my car.

Does anyone know about this? It started recently and I didn't notice it prior to a month or two ago. Maybe cold weather?

i have an '07 530xi with 98k miles. Bought the car a little over 6 months ago and haven't had any issues at all! About to do an oil change and spark plug replacement but this is bugging me.

I start art my car, turns on and RPM goes up since the car starts then goes down like every other car. A second or two later the RPM will jump to 1.5-2 then immediately go down. It doesn't stay there at all but it does do this every time I start the car. The idle is steady around .9 on cold and drops to .6 when warm.

I may may be over thinking it but just want to see if anyone else had issues. I started noticing it after I let my dad drive my car and he drives crazy. Every car is a formula 1 car to him. Doesn't matter if he just turns to car on or if he's going to the grocery store.

Thanks for for any help!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Your dad sounds awesome and I love that he 'formula 1s every car' - I had a similar "issue" as you're describing in my 135i and was told that it's just part of the warm up cycle. Unless you're getting a rough idle and rpms consistently go up and down; I wouldn't be too worried about it. To be safe, you can try to pull the codes and see if anything stands out. I've also attached a link to our site's DIY tech articles for your car - it'll help you troubleshoot any issues you may have in the future. Best of luck!

BMW 5-Series E60 (2004-2010) Technical Articles

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    '07 530 xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Your dad sounds awesome and I love that he 'formula 1s every car' - I had a similar "issue" as you're describing in my 135i and was told that it's just part of the warm up cycle. Unless you're getting a rough idle and rpms consistently go up and down; I wouldn't be too worried about it. To be safe, you can try to pull the codes and see if anything stands out. I've also attached a link to our site's DIY tech articles for your car - it'll help you troubleshoot any issues you may have in the future. Best of luck!

BMW 5-Series E60 (2004-2010) Technical Articles

-Dmitry
    He does drive crazy, lol. He has an x5 M package and makes it work for its name lmao.
    Thanks for the reply. I never paid it much mind but didn't always notice it so wasn't sure if I never paid attention or if it was new.

Ill ll be sure to look at that link right now, thanks!