Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too many cars a good problem?

My Cars
    2006 750Li, 2005 V70R

Too many cars a good problem?

So up until last summer the household has had a fairly reasonable amount of cars--XC90 for hauling the liabilities, E36 convertible for top down cruising, and the F150 for work (company car).

I wanted to have a more roomy and comfortable machine than the convertible for year round personal use, since the tax on company car personal use is outrageous. So last summer I bought the 740i short sport with a bum trans to fix in my spare time, so I could have a comfy year rounder and minimize personal use of the company vehicle. I ended up addressing basically all the common issues except the timing chain guides. While I was weighing whether to dive in with the guides, buy a spare motor, LS swap, etc. Mrs. 377Z said "Why don't you just get another S60R?" This was the car I bitterly regret selling a few years ago for the XC90 V8 while awaiting our second. They only ran from '04-07, and they are not getting any younger, so we agreed we might as well do it now.

Figured it would take a while, even searching nationwide. I was wrong... within weeks I found a low mile one owner V70R with the 6 speed manual, selling within two hours from me. The V70R is the wagon version of the same basic car. Manual sedans are uncommon and usually thrashed or pricey, wagons with the manual are even less common. I had to buy it, so I did. Thing is I can't keep 5 cars longterm, two rare use that are tagged and insured are hard to justify, one will have to go. The plan was to sell/part the E38, I have the least money in it and have had it the shortest amount of time, and if the convertible goes its a matter of time before I need another one because I love top down cruising. The Volvos are forever, and the F150 is a company lease. That leaves the BMW's.

But I am more attached to the E38 than I expected--not that I have to explain that to anyone here. Its a really nice executive class car, and IMO a perfect balance of refinement, comfort, and sport. The 3 is nice but its a 3... I wish I could combine them somehow, and have a manual E38 convertible. Every time I drive it, it gets under my skin a bit more. Since everything works but its an E38, my head says part it, but my heart is looking for a way to keep it.

So what would you do?

My Cars
    are slow
    I also have an R (2004 SR GT with the torque limiter removed) which is a great car, but the M62 has my heart. A third row in the R in place of the XC doesn't sound too bad either.

I'm not particularly fond of E36s, but if it's a low mileage car it'll always be worth more than the E38. If you prefer the 7, I'd sell the 3 since you already have a spaceball for some fun. S62 swap is always on the table too.

Is your wagon silver with black trim, I think I saw you a couple weeks ago? If so, we're color twins.
    Last edited by XAlt; 02-13-2017 at 07:02 PM.

My Cars
    2006 750Li, 2005 V70R
    Somehow the P2 R has my heart. A car greater than the sum of its parts, to me. I really love the XC too, with the Yamaha V8, and I think its loaded, sovereign leather, nav, DVD, backup cam, park sensors, dynaudio, not sure there is an option it doesn't have--both volvos are keepers.

I share your sentiment regarding the E36, I only have it because it's a convertible. If there were a convertible with a push button top that was meaningfully bigger inside I would have it. But the convertible is what justifies the third personal cars existence, what makes it okay that it sits idle most days of the year. It's a black 1999 328 with a manual, 66k on the car, so I'm sure it's worth more than the E38 (which is 172k now). I thought about listing them both for sale and sticking with whatever doesn't sell first. But if I sell the 3, at some point I will have to get another convertible, and thus the E38 would be endangered again.

like I said, I wish I could combine the parts I like of the two bmws together into 1 car. Love the executive feel of the 7; by comparison the 3 feels far more downmarket (understandably). But you're out in the open with the push of a button in the 3.

I'm actually in Indy currently, I never updated my location. I do return to Chicago a lot to see family though, in fact that's where the 7 sees its primary mileage. Plotting my return as well but no dice yet, maybe in another year. But ironically my R is magic blue/Gobi, which is as close a match as could be to my 7, which is Oriental blue/sand.

My Cars
    are slow
    All the R cars on paper look unremarkable, but once you get in one, everything clicks together. My favorite thing to do is just pull the parking brake a couple notches up, mash the DSTC button until it says ok, and go.

I guess what you're looking for is the Merc SLs, or even the E64. If only they made the E34 vert...
    Last edited by XAlt; 02-13-2017 at 10:07 PM.

My Cars
    2006 750Li, 2005 V70R
    If only there had been an E38 convertible. SLs are nice, wish they had a back seat; I was never a fan of the 6, and it has insignificantly different rear leg room vs the 3. I have yet to try the E class convertible, mostly because it's more than I want to tie up for a depreciating summer weekend toy.

I'm a picky SOB, hence when I find something that clicks I have to get it if I don't have it (the R), but I also get attached to stuff (the E38, convertibles).

I'm just undecided. I'd say I need to sleep on it and listen to my gut, but have slept on it for weeks and am no closer to a decision.

My Cars
    96 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by 377Z View Post
    I'm actually in Indy currently, I never updated my location. I do return to Chicago a lot to see family though, in fact that's where the 7 sees its primary mileage. Plotting my return as well but no dice yet, maybe in another year. But ironically my R is magic blue/Gobi, which is as close a match as could be to my 7, which is Oriental blue/sand.
    Now I know what car you are talking about. I keep looking at it in my CL feed. :-)

My Cars
    are slow
    If only there had been an E38 convertible. SLs are nice, wish they had a back seat; I was never a fan of the 6, and it has insignificantly different rear leg room vs the 3. I have yet to try the E class convertible, mostly because it's more than I want to tie up for a depreciating summer weekend toy.

I'm a picky SOB, hence when I find something that clicks I have to get it if I don't have it (the R), but I also get attached to stuff (the E38, convertibles).

I'm just undecided. I'd say I need to sleep on it and listen to my gut, but have slept on it for weeks and am no closer to a decision.
    CLK or W124 Vert?

Actually has a back seat.
    Last edited by XAlt; 02-14-2017 at 08:25 AM.

My Cars
    We have 5 BMW's (Cars)
    5 is too many??? huh,,

'88 325is, all original, spectacularly clean (Fell into this, may sell)
    '93 325ic, Schwartz/Natural (only 12 made after this one)
    '00 528i, Schwartz/Dove Grey, Msport, 5spd, Dinan (Inclement weather car)
    '00 740i, Tiag/Black (was Fil's)
    '01 740i sport. Royal/Tan (mine/cruiser)
    '01 M3 vert, Imola/Imola (Wifes)
    '05 M3 vert, Cb/Imola (mine)
    '03 Tahoe (Hauler)

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    I hate our 04 V70R and would never buy another P2 R. We are only keeping it because I spent so much on maintenance that it makes for a great family backup vehicle in case any of the others break down.

My Cars
    E31, E65, F01
    I just purchased a 2006 750iL- my co workers and neighbors who have been around all my tinkering on the e38 asked if I was going to get rid of it. I have the e31, e38, now e66 and my pickup. Even though the e38 is going to have to spend it's time in the driveway from now on. I'm not getting rid of it. I like it too much. It really has a different feel when compared to the e66.

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    I hate our 04 V70R and would never buy another P2 R. We are only keeping it because I spent so much on maintenance that it makes for a great family backup vehicle in case any of the others break down.
    There are those that love (totally not) FWD, and those that can't stand it I guess.

Maybe OP could dump both and go XJS, wonderful cars.
    Last edited by XAlt; 02-14-2017 at 11:39 AM.

My Cars
    2006 750Li, 2005 V70R
    Quote Originally Posted by clivesay View Post
    Now I know what car you are talking about. I keep looking at it in my CL feed. :-)
    Did you email me? Had a number of one time "do you has car" and "I'll give you $XXXX right now" messages. I padded the price a bit there because CL. I need to take some better pictures though.

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    5 is too many??? huh,,
    ...in terms of the cars I have, and my current situation. I don't feel I could give appropriate attention to all, with this many. I would have a hundred cars if I could. I can get by here in Indy but once I move back to the house in IL the orientation of the garage/drive it's pretty hard to have more than 3 (odds are the Company car would go away upon that move).

Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    I'd love to trade you my short sport for your R, it's been a great backup family car for me (I have two in car seats). Though from what I remember of your R my 7 would not be equitable.

Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    Maybe OP could dump both and go XJS, wonderful cars.
    not_sure_if_serious_meme.jpeg

Cool and affordable, but I wonder if there is a car with a larger ratio of big on the outside/small on the inside... doubt it would fit in the garage.
    Last edited by 377Z; 02-14-2017 at 12:15 PM.

My Cars
    96 750il
    Did you email me? Had a number of one time "do you has car" and "I'll give you $XXXX right now" messages. I padded the price a bit there because CL. I need to take some better pictures though.
    I am Chris that you sent the door pics to.

My Cars
    are slow
    Just cram the kids in the trunk?

First thing you'll miss about the 7.

My Cars
    2006 750Li, 2005 V70R
    I am Chris that you sent the door pics to.
    Hey, you're pretty close, I regularly drive through Crawfordsville (but not with the 7).

Yeah I figured those two rust spots were a deal breaker for you. I actually got extra door bottom strips from another member here who parted an Orient Blue '01. I have an LVLP detail gun and I planned to repair those spots, then paint the waterline Orient Blue a la '01, then wrap the trim in gloss black. But the cold stopped any painting, and now with what sorted E38's go for especially in light of my mileage (172K), and can't confirm guides ever being replaced, I'm not sure I want to expend a bunch of effort if I'm not sticking with the car. I hate to part, but that might be the best way to go.

I'm at a cross road,

Just cram the kids in the trunk?

First thing you'll miss about the 7.
    Speaking of, do these have the emergency release in the trunk? I could run outside and look but my youngest is sleeping so I'm laying low. Could be bad if crammed children open the trunk while doing 80 on I65

My Cars
    96 750il
    Hey, you're pretty close, I regularly drive through Crawfordsville (but not with the 7).

Yeah I figured those two rust spots were a deal breaker for you. I actually got extra door bottom strips from another member here who parted an Orient Blue '01. I have an LVLP detail gun and I planned to repair those spots, then paint the waterline Orient Blue a la '01, then wrap the trim in gloss black. But the cold stopped any painting, and now with what sorted E38's go for especially in light of my mileage (172K), and can't confirm guides ever being replaced, I'm not sure I want to expend a bunch of effort if I'm not sticking with the car. I hate to part, but that might be the best way to go.

I'm at a cross road,
    I will PM you

My Cars
    2006 750Li, 2005 V70R
    Just to close the book on this, 740i sold, drove away with its new owner about 3 hrs ago. Was fun during its time with me, but I could not resist the call of the V70R.

My Cars
    1998 740il dinan 7
    good man, best to sell one before getting another if you already have a full house. I would look for an Rx8, mazdaspeed6, and m3 on CL from time to time, but my current group of cars keep me content.

My Cars
    2006 750Li, 2005 V70R
    Funny I was thinking if I ever go E38 again it would be a 750il. I went on CL to check if my ad expired last night, after the new owner picked up the car. What do I see? A black on black 1991 850i, local. Argh.

I love having a convertible as the third car; though there are a select few non-convertibles that have a chance to assume that role. A perfect 750il, V10 S8, CL63/65, 911 turbo (more than I want to spend, even the ones with Taurus interiors, just spitballing), 850i would qualify too but never made the radar because they are so rare.

I pinged another local forum member in the hopes that he'll buy a second E31 so I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore . But I have already decided to sell the E36 so if it goes as fast as the E38 did (18 days) I might have no choice...

My Cars
    are slow
    Sunroofmobile>>>>>>E36

My Cars
    2006 750Li, 2005 V70R
    E36 notwithstanding (it will be sold), to me there is nothing like a true open car/soft top. Unfortunately most of the best cars don't come that way...

My Cars
    are slow
    W210 CLK or 124 vert? Maybe

My Cars
    96 750il
    Glad you sold the car but sad too. My schedule blew up over the last week. I saw the 850i too. It has body damage on the front and he says the interior is ok but didn't send any pics. Interesting cars out there I just can't seem to get away to look at any!

My Cars
    2006 750Li, 2005 V70R
    W210 CLK or 124 vert? Maybe
    Possible candidates. The 124 is nice and classic, CLK available with a V8, though I much prefer A209's. But I'm forcing myself to not even look out of curiosity until the E36 is gone.

Incidently if if there was a factory 126 convertible, that would be the target. 220 CL convertible would be an acceptable runner up, but sadly never made. But again, I think CL63's have sunrooofs...

Glad you sold the car but sad too. My schedule blew up over the last week. I saw the 850i too. It has body damage on the front and he says the interior is ok but didn't send any pics. Interesting cars out there I just can't seem to get away to look at any!
    Sorry man, after seeing what these sell for I never expected it to sell in 18 days.

Did you see the green on black short sport on Louisville CL for $2,000? Says trans failsafe but is the right colors and only something like 138k. The trans fix is not hard, or you could source a used one too.

My Cars
    are slow
    All CLs have sunroofs IIRC. Most 126s as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast