Thread: ENGINE Squeal (NOT A PULLEY!!!!!!)

My Cars
    BMW 323i

ENGINE Squeal (NOT A PULLEY!!!!!!)

'99 BMW 323i

My engine started to squeal at the start of winter. I figured it was a pulley so i decided to wait it out because I was broke at the time (highschooler who loves his BMW when it works). So I began what I thought would be a quick pulley fix. Once I was finish I turned the car on and SCREEETCH continual repetitive squealing. My heart dropped as I realized this might be much worse than I anticipated. I took the belts off and turned the car on...SCREEEEETCH...

The squeal is coming from the rear of the engine (around the last two cylinders near the intake manifold cover). It almost sounds like a bad bearing within the engine as the performance isn't affected noticeably. Does anyone know what this might be? My mechanic said he thinks it is a camshaft bearing but I have no clue what that is or what I would have to do to fix this. If anyone could help before a bearing goes in my engine that would be great! I really don't have the money for a swap and i'm probably going to part the car out and get a newer bimmer if the engine is totaled. Thanks guys!

My Cars
    99 M3
    Is it a manual transmission? Could be the throw-out bearing?

My Cars
    BMW 323i
    Automatic. Forgot the exact model of the trans but I don't know what the throw-out bearing is. Diagram? Last 7 of VIN is FP51903

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330 CI Vert
    Automatic trans won't have a throwout bearing. You have no water pump hooked up, with the belt being deleted, and it's still screeching? Any smoke, shaking, other craziness going on, or just a screech? Oil level, etc. is all fine?

My Cars
    BMW 323i
    https://youtu.be/rWsTEMOO6R0 Here's what it is doing. I'm taking it to the local dealership wednesday as they will have the technology to see what is wrong.

My Cars
    BMW 323i
    Just replaced the water pump and the noise persists even after taking the belts off.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Just for confirmation, disconnect electrical connection for the secondary air pump.

My Cars
    BMW 323i
    Turns out it was my starter not disengaging! holy fuck i was scared that it was have been an engine problem...but now I have to take the manifold off
    Last edited by Bimmerboycam; 02-15-2017 at 06:32 PM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Great that the mystery was solved. Better the manifold than camshaft, btw-get rid of the mechanic that blamed the bearing.

My Cars
    BMW 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Great that the mystery was solved. Better the manifold than camshaft, btw-get rid of the mechanic that blamed the bearing.
    Yeah I guess he isn't the best at diagnosing...although the mechanics at my local dealership said they were all very surprised that it was only the starter...sounded like it was about to blow up..

My Cars
    '06 zhp coupe
    Had something similar happen to my then girlfriend's 4runner. The starter continued to engage even with the key off! I had to have her turn off the ignition while I simultaneously disconnected the battery.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Causes can be sticking starter solenoid or ignition switch.

My Cars
    BMW 323i
    Replaced the starter (what a bitch, it took be about 14 hours over the span of two days to remove manifold and clean intake head) and all is well. No squealing. For future reference, if you have a squeal and it is behind the intake manifold it could be the starter.