Thread: Coolant level

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe

Coolant level

My car can sit for days and the level in the expansion tank shows a little low, then if I loosen the cap to fill it up, it goes to the cold level once the pressure is released. Is that normal? Does the system need to be bleed again? I recently did a complete cooling refresh so that is very possible.
    1997 M3 Coupe Estoril/Modena......Track monster
    1997 M3 Coupe Cosmos/Dove
    2011 X3 Black/Black
    2011 335i Space Gray/Black
    1986 IROC-Z Black/Gray

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Doesn't sound like something I would worry about....but it never hurts. I would drive around with the heat on full black/90 degrees, car fully warmed up and that should help instead of trying the messy approach, but again, sounds like you're fine
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    11 X5 35D and 98 M3/4/5
    yeah, if the level rises up once you open the cap it means there's still air in your system. Keep trying to bleed it out

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    My car has always done this. Never had any issues in over 20,000 miles, just live with it.

My Cars
    94' 325is, 95 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
    My car has always done this. Never had any issues in over 20,000 miles, just live with it.
    Same here. But there was a thread last week that I cant seem to find and someone said that this was a sign of possible head gasket leak. Had me freaking out for a second but my car still runs find and no coolant loss so I got over it

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    Fill it while it is cold and the car is running with the heater on and the bleed screw open. Once you get it right it won't move on you when you pull the cap off anymore. You should have no bubbles coming from the bleed screw and coolant should be right to the top of it. At that point you should also be at the cold fill line in the reservoir. Put in bleed screw, put on cap, call it a day.

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Sounds like a possible hg leak. I've been around and around the block on this - no pun intended. The reality is the cooling system is a closed system. If the system is remaining pressurized overnight or over days, that extra gas is being introduced somehow. Re-bleed and monitor. If it keeps happening, you need to decide how much you care and what diagnostics to run, recognize that none are truly confirmatory (you can have a decent leak down test yet still need a new hg, etc). Hopefully it's not the hg but be watchful.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMW M3
    This might be an indication that your coolant reservoir needs to be replaced. Most likely the pipe (that is visible when you open the cap) has cracked, this happens after years of use and from high heat.

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    My motor ran with the mysterious disappearing coolant for 3 years with full performance and no loss of coolant. I tested the coolant for combustion byproducts, got a negative result. I also did a coolant pressurization test which held steady for 12 hours. If it has no palpable effect on the performance of the car, who cares.

My Cars
    E36 & E46 M3 coupes
    My motor ran with the mysterious disappearing coolant for 3 years with full performance and no loss of coolant. I tested the coolant for combustion byproducts, got a negative result. I also did a coolant pressurization test which held steady for 12 hours. If it has no palpable effect on the performance of the car, who cares.
    Agreed. Only annoying part in that respect is to having to keep buying jugs.

I have the dreaded rear coolant hose leak that I really have no way to get to. Looks like it's leaking in the center of the car but it runs down the tranny and then on the ground. Planning on doing a 5 speed to 6 speed swap in the near future. Will take care of it then.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    If you had the cooling system open its likely just air in the system. Check out the "cold bleed" method here:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ead&p=29394803

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3
    I have the same problem and finally saw that I had a VERY slight leak...it leaks only enough to hit the lower side of the gasket and burns off/evaporates before it was noticeable. Time to clear the WHOLE damn coolant system out and get somethgn that will last!

1995 BMW M3/2/5 - Alpine White - Vaders - Stage II Maxsil Pistons, Chipped, 24# Injectors, MagnaFlow Exhaust, and heated door locks!

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe
    Now I am curious. I have a little bit of a leak, mostly when it is warmer temperatures outside. Every few weeks I have to add a little bit. By opening the expansion tank and adding some coolant, am I introducing air into the system or should the system still be fine?

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Quote Originally Posted by ewrjontan View Post
    Now I am curious. I have a little bit of a leak, mostly when it is warmer temperatures outside. Every few weeks I have to add a little bit. By opening the expansion tank and adding some coolant, am I introducing air into the system or should the system still be fine?
    Taking the radiator cap off does not introduce air into the system.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Taking the radiator cap off does not introduce air into the system.
    What if you replace the coolant level sensor from the bottom of the coolant tank? Does that introduce air into the system?

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Quote Originally Posted by usedunderwear View Post
    What if you replace the coolant level sensor from the bottom of the coolant tank? Does that introduce air into the system?
    Well you gotta remove the expansion tank to replace that sensor, so yeah.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Well you gotta remove the expansion tank to replace that sensor, so yeah.
    Thank you. Found out yesterday after I replaced my coolant level sensor....it has air in the cooling system so I'm going to re-bleed it again

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    The coolant level should only drop not raise when loosening cap. If it goes up you have air in system. I had replaced my entire cooling system 2 years ago and just figured out my new Behr expansion tank was faulty with a crack in the inner tube as I could never bleed all the air out and the level would go higher and higher after every drive. I finally figured it out when I could hear hissing in the tank with cap off after bleeding it and running engine for a few mins after. Replaced with new tank and the level has been at kalt ever since with no hissing. Moral of the story is your expansion tank could be your problem as it was for me.
    Last edited by ben4bama; 02-26-2017 at 08:21 AM.
    98 M3 sedan