Thread: what is normal coolant/water temp?

My Cars
    m3

what is normal coolant/water temp?

i just switched my water pump, thermostat and housing. now i seem to be running a bit hot. just a hair overdead center/vertical which by my autometer gauges seems to be approx 190-220F, mostly 210-220F. this seems a bit hot to me. air temp is 70-90F. any ideas or input? TIA

p.s. dont know temp i was running at pervious b/c the autometer was not hooked-up
    "The main thing about money, Bud, is that it makes you do things you don't want to do."

"The great difference between us, Angelos, is this: you believe you have found salvation, and believing this, you are saved; I believe that salvation does not exist, and believing this I am saved."

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport, 1985 VW GTI
    It is tough to say because where you mount your water temp sender will effect your reading. I have my water temp send mounted in a custom bracket in the upper water hose.

My normal running temp is 220F. The needle on the stock idiot temp gauge does not start to move until my aftermarket water temp gauge approaches 250 F. My supercharger generates a lot of heat, and basically I have to be careful about how much I use my AC if I am in a stop and go situation.

Summer in the city sucks. Hot house, hot car. I have no better place to be than the office because our central AC here rocks. I need a free weekend to escape to the beach and cool off.

I know of others on this board with water temp senders mounted in different locations who will give you different answers. So unless your sender is mounted in the same spot, you are comparing apples and oranges.
    "Some of the neighbors have been complaining about your car being too loud."

My Cars
    BMW
    I have the temp sensor on my thermostat housing and my SPA gauges give an average of about 215-220 on most days, and about 225-230 on the hotter days.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    I don't have an oil temp gauge, but my oil temperature is about 180*F, around 200 if I'm driving hard on the street or sitting in traffic and 220-230 at the track or after a run around the cones.
    Drew | Dinomite.net
    1997 Boston Green ///M3 Coupe Lightweight wheels, non-luxury, no sunroof.
    1994 Volvo 940 Race Wagon

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dinomite
    I don't have an oil temp gauge, but my oil temperature is about 180*F, around 200 if I'm driving hard on the street or sitting in traffic and 220-230 at the track or after a run around the cones.
    I'll bite...how do you know the oil temp without an oil gauge?

My Cars
    m3
    Quote Originally Posted by aceves
    I have the temp sensor on my thermostat housing and my SPA gauges give an average of about 215-220 on most days, and about 225-230 on the hotter days.
    good to hear a constant 210 today! also at thermostat housing
    "The main thing about money, Bud, is that it makes you do things you don't want to do."

"The great difference between us, Angelos, is this: you believe you have found salvation, and believing this, you are saved; I believe that salvation does not exist, and believing this I am saved."