Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Chikinhed's Mini Build

My Cars
    '97 M3
    More testing and dataloging tonight. I have confirmed that the Zeitronix fuel pressure is correct and the small mechanical fuel pressure gauge at the FPR is reading 10 PSI high. Fuel pressure is now set to 51 psi. Next I was cross checking my AFR's because the AEM AFR gauge was reading leaner than the Zeitronics by quite a bit. The Zeitronix is showing really rich during WOT but the test AFR gauge is reading lean. Next time I will compare the test AFR gauge against the AEM AFR gauge to verify it is accurate.

I also double checked the preload on the Turbosmart IWG75, I backed the nuts off and retightened them to insure the correct preload. I did see a higher boost tonight, about 23 psi but with questionable AFR's I was only on it for a second. I'll have to do more testing with better AFR's.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I did a boost leak check and found a few decent size leaks. Leaks are fixed and fuel pressure double checked but I ran out of time and couldn't test drive it. Hopefully tomorrow.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    Where were the leaks? Silicone couplers?
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Where were the leaks? Silicone couplers?
    You think the T-bolt clamps are tight until you do a boost leak check at 25 psi or so. I also had a leak at the edge of a weld on my cold pipe. When I close the air valve for the test the pressure goes down very slowly now, she is tight now.

There was enough leaks to keep my crappy little air compressor running constantly during the boost leak test
    Last edited by chikinhed; 06-16-2017 at 03:39 PM.

My Cars

Chikinhed's Mini Build

Good info. I work on mostly stock cars here at work and haven't had to do a real boost leak test. 10 psi is pretty easy to keep from leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I haven't test driven it yet but I was getting boost taper instead of boost creep. Hopefully the boost leaks were the cause. Poor turbo was trying to pressurize the atmosphere.

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Poor turbo was trying to pressurize the atmosphere.
    ...I could feel it down here in Socal. We're now experiencing a heat wave, thanks to your leaks.

"You don't win silver....you lose gold."

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I took the car for a drive. I am still getting boost taper with rpm. Fixing the boost leaks didn't fix it. It seems to be heat related. I've also checked the routing of the WG lines and the preload on the IWG actuator.

Next to check will be WG springs. They may be too weak and are being pushed open. The other possibility is the divider in the Steed manifold is slightly too long and is holding the EWG off its seat.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I'm at my first autoX event with the EFR 9180. I have no complaints about spool or transient response, it pretty damn good.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    What if you are just getting a broad spike rather than taper? Can you set your WG to open earlier to see if that reduces the spike? Or van you adjust the controller sensitivity to reduce taper if you are sure there is taper?

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I can't get more boost then what it tapers to.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Then run stiffer springs. I am not running as much as you so I have not gotten to the point where there might be an issue. Could having 2 WG be part of the issue? Could you need a bigger line off the turbo or are the controller ports big enough to sufficiently pressurize the actuators?

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I'm using 1/4" ID silicon hose and 1/4" OD stainless tubing for the WG actuators T'd to each WG.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    1/4 should be fine. And you are not using the little plastic Mac valve that came with the EFR that has small ports so none of the fittings are an issue. I'd crank mine up for you but don't think I have the fuel or tune with 60s since I have the CES extreme ported big valve head and schricks. I am sticking to 20 or 21 tops until I have an 80 lb tune.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I have peaked at 23 psi so far and I'd like to get it stable at 25 psi if I could.

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    Imagine 2 air cylinders with the same dynamic and static friction. Same volume and same pressure. They will react to a shared pressure (T) reasonably close if the volume of the airlines is the same. placing the valve and T as close to the cylinders as possible is another precautionary measure. This is how machines doing synchronized fluid power motion start and then you play with it.
    A long drop to stability is usuall the (I) or time component in the command/feedback model (PID). The P is how much of a correction to make every I seconds.
    tune until instability (overshoot and undershoot the target) then back it off. There is a formula (several) but in the end you stll clean it up by hand most of the time anyways.
    it seems like parallel WG would be difficult to setup (not impossible) from the perspective of controlling 2 different things with one set of values.
    It seems like serial setup where one leads off the pressure release and the other follows would be more controllable. For example an IWG with a lower volume (and maybe spring weight) followed by a larger volume EWG if you want quicker response but less flow capabilty in the intial cracking of the valves. Vice versa if you want a slower but higher volume reaction on the initial valve cracking. Once one valve stabilzes on a pressure then it fills the second. Just experimental thoughts after the comments on stabiliin the valves if that is something you suspect.

My Cars
    95 M3, 03 E55, 07 335I
    Quote Originally Posted by bry195 View Post
    Imagine 2 air cylinders with the same dynamic and static friction. Same volume and same pressure. They will react to a shared pressure (T) reasonably close if the volume of the airlines is the same. placing the valve and T as close to the cylinders as possible is another precautionary measure. This is how machines doing synchronized fluid power motion start and then you play with it.
    A long drop to stability is usuall the (I) or time component in the command/feedback model (PID). The P is how much of a correction to make every I seconds.
    tune until instability (overshoot and undershoot the target) then back it off. There is a formula (several) but in the end you stll clean it up by hand most of the time anyways.
    it seems like parallel WG would be difficult to setup (not impossible) from the perspective of controlling 2 different things with one set of values.
    It seems like serial setup where one leads off the pressure release and the other follows would be more controllable. For example an IWG with a lower volume (and maybe spring weight) followed by a larger volume EWG if you want quicker response but less flow capabilty in the intial cracking of the valves. Vice versa if you want a slower but higher volume reaction on the initial valve cracking. Once one valve stabilzes on a pressure then it fills the second. Just experimental thoughts after the comments on stabiliin the valves if that is something you suspect.
    You had me at hello...
    Old set up: 520RWHP & 500RWTQ @ 20PSI 1/4 mile as of 7/26/15 12.5 @ 125MPH - 19PSI
    New set up: Steedspeed Twinscroll, Wiseco Pistons 8.8:1 CR, K1 Rods, Blueprinted and Balanced, ARP Main Studs, o-ring block, GTR 12mm head studs, GT35R with 86mm HTA billet compressor wheel (GT3586RHTA) TwinScrol 1.06 exhaust housing, Nick G custom tuning, 6 Speed Transmission, UUC Twin Disc Clutch, UUC EVO III, UUC DSSR 109mm, EVO 6 Speed Driveshaft, HFS-6 W/M injection, Zeitronix data logger, 3" SS full exhaust, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Race coilovers.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Both WG use the same canisters and springs. I believe valves are close in size. Just not sure both are getting correct air flow compared to 1 valve through the T.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Didn't someone here say they had to cut back the divider in their Steed because it was interfering with their WG?

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Didn't someone here say they had to cut back the divider in their Steed because it was interfering with their WG?
    That's on the Tial WG, shouldn't have to on a TS WG.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post

That's on the Tial WG, shouldn't have to on a TS WG.
    Its best to leave the manifold alone, and to grind the fire ring on the Tial WG. Doesn't take much, just 2 spots with a carbide bit. Much better to alter/devalue a $15 fire ring than a $1400 manifold.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I'm hoping to find the wrong springs in one of the WG's.

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    why not just run the tial gate? Ive never seen the EFR gate work properly, ever, in my life, or even heard of it working.
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    One 44 or 45 alone won't control boost on an efr on the twinscroll manifold unless using the 1.45 9180.

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    It will if he's trying to run 25lbs
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast