Page 1 of 34 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Chikinhed's Mini Build

My Cars
    '97 M3

Chikinhed's Mini Build

My car is finally up on stands for the winter. It was nice to start on it last night with the addition of some LED lighting to the garage. Strip LEDs and a free computer power supply have made a night and day difference (pun intended).

Exhaust, down pipe and drive shaft are out. I also spent a bunch of time clocking the new 9180 and installed the Turbosmart WG actuator. Not much but I'm excited.

'97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I approve.
    What is your scavenge pump mounted to?

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    I approve. What is your scavenge pump mounted to?
    It was bolted to a mounting plate on the x-brace.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    My car is finally up on stands for the winter. It was nice to start on it last night with the addition of some LED lighting to the garage. Strip LEDs and a free computer power supply have made a night and day difference (pun intended). Exhaust, down pipe and drive shaft are out. I also spent a bunch of time clocking the new 9180 and installed the Turbosmart WG actuator. Not much but I'm excited.
    You still going to run a pump with the TS steed?

My Cars
    e30
    Nice. I promise I will come up to BC this year to check it out. My car will never be running, but I can lend a hand or come to a meet.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Here is the intended mod and maintenance list:

Steedspeed TS manifold
    BW EFR 9180 0.92 IWG
    Turbosmart Hypergate WG 14 psi
    Turbosmart IWG actuator 14 psi
    New down pipe and WG pipe
    New x-brace without scav pump mount
    New UUC feramic twin disc clutch
    Stock, shortened, strengthened driveshaft
    New diff output seals, cover gasket and diff oil change
    Aluminum rear upper control arms
    Rear subframe and mounting point inspection
    New rear shock lower bearings
    And a bunch of not so exciting stuff.

I hooked up the ethanol sensor right to the openOBC last night but I think I have a faulty sensor, I have a new one on order.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Are you adding E85 to increase the ethanol beyond the common 10% already added to pump gas in many places?

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Picture of the aluminium rear upper arms ?
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    Here is the intended mod and maintenance list: Steedspeed TS manifold BW EFR 9180 0.92 IWG Turbosmart Hypergate WG 14 psi Turbosmart IWG actuator 14 psi New down pipe and WG pipe New x-brace without scav pump mount New UUC feramic twin disc clutch Stock, shortened, strengthened driveshaft New diff output seals, cover gasket and diff oil change Aluminum rear upper control arms Rear subframe and mounting point inspection New rear shock lower bearings And a bunch of not so exciting stuff. I hooked up the ethanol sensor right to the openOBC last night but I think I have a faulty sensor, I have a new one on order.

Has your car been sitting for a long time?

If it has and moisture/water builds up in the tank it's enough to throw off the sensor. When I first installed my sensor it the E% would spike between 8 to 50%. After putting in some fresh gas it stabilized.

Food for thought!

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I had the sensor previously hooked up to an Arduino and it was reading wonky. Anything is possible though.

This is what the Arduino was saying last summer with about e12 in the tank.

The aluminum rear upper control arms are from an e46. They are lighter and it's something else for me to polish and make pretty.
    Last edited by chikinhed; 02-12-2017 at 10:44 PM.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    The aluminum rear upper control arms are from an e46. They are something else for me to polish and make pretty.
    You're nuttin fucks!!

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon
    Lol I am doing the same. I figure you may save a half pound as well doing those e46 upper control arms.

-WTB: OEM Class 2 LTW GT wing with risers- Mazak

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    i really really like this car and what you do with it
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Two measly pics..

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    Two measly pics..
    I'll take more pics, I'm not usually stingy with the pictures. No work on the car yesterday, I had a full day of skiing at Whistler and today is Family Day, a provincial holiday for us. I'd probably hear about it if I slipped out to the garage and didn't hang out with the family today.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

I'll take more pics, I'm not usually stingy with the pictures. No work on the car yesterday, I had a full day of skiing at Whistler and today is Family Day, a provincial holiday for us. I'd probably hear about it if I slipped out to the garage and didn't hang out with the family today.
    Priorities man!

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Welp, here is some data that I don't believe was supplied previously....

Steedspeed open T4 weight 36.6 lbs.
    Steedspeed TS T4 weight 25.4 lbs.

Yay! I've dropped some weight off the front end..... Oh dear......

Garret GTX3582R weight 17.6 lbs
    BW EFR 9180 weight 28.8 lbs (wow!)

That makes it exactly the same as before, 54.2 lbs of go fast.

The old Steed came out the bottom with the GTX3582R still attached to it by simply undoing the five Allen head bolts that hold the manifold to the head flange.

The new Steed can slide in from the top past the AC lines. Easy peasy.

I hung the EFR 9180 from the new Steed, rotated the Ireland Engineering poly mount outward as much as it would go and the mount actually clears the compressor inlet and the frame rail without trimming. I then unbolted the Rallyroad high engine mount arm from the block and bolted the other end back onto the mount to take some measurements. Aside from needing a thick spacer and shifting the holes down and forward a 1/2" or so it will fit great.

Now would be a great time for Eric to chime in and say "We have the mount arms ready to ship....".

I'll pick up some metal tomorrow to make a few arms.

The by pass valve nipple is very close to the crossmember. I may have to notch the crossmember or mod the bypass valve to get it to fit.

There is plenty of clearance between the SAP tray and the WG.

Last edited by chikinhed; 02-18-2017 at 07:21 AM.

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon
    Looks great so far! And yeah I want Eric to come up with some arms as well!!

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 3literheater View Post
    Looks great so far! And yeah I want Eric to come up with some arms as well!!
    I cut up the pieces to make an engine mount arm today. Hopefully I'll have a bit of time tonight to fit them up for welding. Let me know if you need one.
    Last edited by chikinhed; 02-20-2017 at 06:08 AM.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I got all the pieces for the motor mount arm all trimmed and fitted. They just need a final clean up to make them pretty before welding. Here is the rough mock up of how it will look once assembled......

Here is the template if anyone needs to make one.......

The recirc bypass valve nipple is right at the subframe. The subframe would either have to be notched or if have to settle for slower transient response. I did a bit of searching and found this little jewel from Treadstone for a more solid solution....

I'm thinking the tricky part is yet to come with the down pipe and WG recirc pipe.
    Last edited by chikinhed; 02-20-2017 at 06:22 AM.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    DSS Driveshaft Caution: Check the bolts on the adapters and the drive shaft on a regular basis. When I was removing the drive shaft I found that the driveshaft aft attach bolts to the adapter were loose, like backing out loose. All had been torqued on install last spring.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    DSS Driveshaft Caution: Check the bolts on the adapters and the drive shaft on a regular basis. When I was removing the drive shaft I found that the driveshaft aft attach bolts to the adapter were loose, like backing out loose. All had been torqued on install last spring.
    Blue loctite ?
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    e30
    Also there is this recirc cover. Not sure if its lower profile or not.

http://www.full-race.com/store/efr-s...-cover-2.html/
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    95 M3, 03 E55, 07 335I
    Can you do extra motor mounts?
    Old set up: 520RWHP & 500RWTQ @ 20PSI 1/4 mile as of 7/26/15 12.5 @ 125MPH - 19PSI
    New set up: Steedspeed Twinscroll, Wiseco Pistons 8.8:1 CR, K1 Rods, Blueprinted and Balanced, ARP Main Studs, o-ring block, GTR 12mm head studs, GT35R with 86mm HTA billet compressor wheel (GT3586RHTA) TwinScrol 1.06 exhaust housing, Nick G custom tuning, 6 Speed Transmission, UUC Twin Disc Clutch, UUC EVO III, UUC DSSR 109mm, EVO 6 Speed Driveshaft, HFS-6 W/M injection, Zeitronix data logger, 3" SS full exhaust, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Race coilovers.

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon
    I'm interested to see if either one of those recirc covers will work.

Since you can see how things are fitting do you think it is possible to send the hot side over the subframe?
    Last edited by 3literheater; 02-20-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Page 1 of 34 123456789101126 ... LastLast