Thread: Engine shutdown: Fuel pump, EKP

My Cars
    2010 328xi

Engine shutdown: Fuel pump, EKP

While driving on the highway, my engine shutdown. I pulled to the side and scanned the vehicle.

I got the following codes
    • EKP-motor: voltage, Code: 006292
    • EKP-Engine failure, Code: 006293

Could anyone provide any insight as to what these codes reveal, and what could be the cause of my problem?

Right now, I suppose I'll start doing some fuel pump tests, but I'm not partiuclarly positive what I should do.

My Cars
    2010 328xi
    Ok, first thing done was to check the fuel pump fuse (F70). Visually it appeared fine, then hooked it up to my digital multimeter and it passed the continuity test, so that's not the problem.

The next thing I did was remove the rear seat on the passenger side, unbolt the cover for the fuel pump, and then I wanted to test the electrical circuitry to he fuel pump. However, the connector in the Bentley manual is not the same as the connector in my car, and I'm not even sure how to test this with the volt meter properly.

The Bentley manual shows me this: https://postimg.org/image/cd7br1sg1/

My car has this: https://postimg.org/image/7jsgf5lsr/

As you can see, they're not even the same connectors. So, anyone know how to properly test this and what I could try?

On a side note, I tried starting the car up, and it started. A bit perplexing.

My Cars
    2010 328xi
    I guess I'm talking to myself.

So, the vehicle is starting up (without me having done anything) and I've been driving it around a bit today. This would seem to clearly indicate that voltage is getting to the fuel pump as well as the fuel pump working properly.

My next guess is perhaps some unknown issue with the fuel pump control module.

Does anyone know of anyway I can test this thing to make sure it doesn't have any issues? Also, if I chose to replace it myself, is there anyway to reprogram it myself. I use Carly for BMW currently, but I'm unaware if it packs that ability.

My Cars
    2010 BMW 535i
    I have the same problem
    how you fix ???

My Cars
    E60 535i
    What was the solution?? New EKP module?

My Cars
    e92 335xi
    Quote Originally Posted by kcorrie4 View Post
    While driving on the highway, my engine shutdown. I pulled to the side and scanned the vehicle.

I got the following codes
    • EKP-motor: voltage, Code: 006292
    • EKP-Engine failure, Code: 006293

Could anyone provide any insight as to what these codes reveal, and what could be the cause of my problem?

Right now, I suppose I'll start doing some fuel pump tests, but I'm not partiuclarly positive what I should do.

dis you find the solution? having same issue waiting on a second EKP first one disnt solve the problem

My Cars
    2009 BMW 535i
    Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd try to bump this one since a resolution was never posted . . .

I just had the exact same thing happen yesterday. Thought I was dead in the water so I go a tow back home with the intention of heading to my Indy mechanic. Went outside to straighten her out and it started as if nothing happened, so i was able to get it up into the driveway to run diagnostics. Pulled the same codes (006292 & 006293) but am not sure where to start. I read the case study "How to Change Your BMW E60 Fuel Pump" but it doesn't indicate how to diagnose a bad EKP Module. Since I can now start/drive the vehicle, I'm wondering if that might be where I start? .. maybe a faulty pressure sensor? . . .

Appreciate it if someone has some ideas to see if this is something that I can take care of on my own!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    It's a classic sign of fuel pump issues you could check fuel pressure, but fuel pumps are notorious for working then not working. When there starting to go bad. Also you could do a fuel pump ramp test, when the pump is running the tech will watch live data in the form of a sign wave, worn pumps will have large peaks and valleys new pumps peaks and valleys will be smaller and tighter. I replaced my fuel right after I got the car because I knew it was original. I can't tell you how many cars over the years that won't start, get towed in, run just fine. We would advise the customer and recommend the fuel pump.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 535i
    Appreciate the thoughts . . . when you say you replaced your fuel pump, is that the low pressure fuel pump or the high? I was hoping to nail things down as best i can as i've heard about people replacing pumps only to have the situation reappear.

My Cars
    F30/F87/E21

EKPS fuel pump module

Quote Originally Posted by TagHeuer View Post
    Appreciate the thoughts . . . when you say you replaced your fuel pump, is that the low pressure fuel pump or the high? I was hoping to nail things down as best i can as i've heard about people replacing pumps only to have the situation reappear.

Hello, can you let me know if you were able to fix the issue?
    I am having the same problem and would like to replace the correct item.
    F30, 328i with same symptoms.
    Got fuel supply error, car would not start, got the car towed, car is now starting fine.

thank you
    Eli

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    It's a classic sign of fuel pump issues you could check fuel pressure, but fuel pumps are notorious for working then not working. When there starting to go bad. Also you could do a fuel pump ramp test, when the pump is running the tech will watch live data in the form of a sign wave, worn pumps will have large peaks and valleys new pumps peaks and valleys will be smaller and tighter. I replaced my fuel right after I got the car because I knew it was original. I can't tell you how many cars over the years that won't start, get towed in, run just fine. We would advise the customer and recommend the fuel pump.
    Hello, can you let me know if you were able to fix the issue?
    I am having the same problem and would like to replace the correct item.
    F30, 328i with same symptoms.
    Got fuel supply error, car would not start, got the car towed, car is now starting fine.

thank you
    Eli

My Cars
    2010 328xi
    For those who asked, still no answer. Still dealing with this problem. Maybe one day someone will have an answer!