Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to fix valve tick

My Cars
    E30 M3, e92 M3, X3M comp

How to fix valve tick? This is how you do it!!!

I know most of us e36 guys have this problem. This is how you fix it. I went to VAC its a local shop. These guys are great; really know what they are talking about. They told me to use something called Rislone or Reslone it is a treatment (for valves and valve lifters) it is a yellow bottle. You put in along with your oil. I did it about two months ago and.... nothing. I do not hear anything, not one tick. It’s wonderful to get in the car and hear all of the stuff that you want to hear. Oh and you can get it at any pep boys or AutoZone for $6. TRUST ME THIS STUFF WORKS!!!!!! Get a bottle and put it in with your old oil in the car right now. The ticking will go away. I now put a bottle of this in my car for every oil change. So now I put in six bottles of Mobil 1 0w-40 and one bottle or the Rislone. Let me know how you guys make out.
    Last edited by slickwill21; 01-21-2005 at 06:55 PM.

My Cars
    See List.
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwill21
    I know most of us e36 guys have this problem. This is how you fix it. I went to VAC its a local shop. These guys are great; really know what they are talking about. They told me to use something called Rislone or Reslone it is a treatment (for valves and valve lifters) it is a yellow bottle. You put in along with your oil. I did it about two months ago and.... nothing. I do not hear anything, not one tick. It’s wonderful to get in the car and hear all of the stuff that you want to hear. Oh and you can get it at any pep boys or AutoZone for $6. TRUST ME THIS STUFF WORKS!!!!!! Get a bottle and put it in with your old oil in the car right now. The ticking will go away. I now put a bottle of this in my car for every oil change. So now I put in six bottles of Mobil 1 0w-40 and one bottle or the Rislone. Let me know how you guys make out.
    Thanks, I will try that in my 318IS
    1983 MCI-9 43' Motor Coach
    1985 Interceptor 1000R
    1994 Ninja ZX7 w/Zx900 Motor
    1993 318is
    1995 M3 Supercharged
    1997 540i 6 Speed
    1998 Ford E350 Turbodiesel
    1999 Yamaha 125 Dirt Bike
    2000 Yamaha 125 Dirt Bike
    2000 GSXR 750 Race Bike (A)
    2001 GSXR 750 Race Bike (B)
    2002 GSXR 600 Telefonica Limited Edition
    2003 Yamaha R6
    2003 24' enclosed trailer for racing
    2005 Pocket Bike
    2005 GSXR600 Race Bike

My Cars
    No Car
    which one is it, rislone or reslone? thanks for the advice

My Cars
    E30 M3, e92 M3, X3M comp
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaBimma
    which one is it, rislone or reslone? thanks for the advice
    ummmmm haha I don’t know. It is one of them, you will know once you see it. It also says something like 40 years of engine treatment. Its also is in a yellow bottle. 5,000 miles and still no tick.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    sometimes making noises go away is not a good thing especially with bent valves which with enough time could break and fall and you don't want to know what happens after that. I would much rather invest the time and money to fix a head than a bottom end..

My Cars
    E30 M3, e92 M3, X3M comp
    Quote Originally Posted by aMiR M3
    sometimes making noises go away is not a good thing especially with bent valves which with enough time could break and fall and you don't want to know what happens after that. I would much rather invest the time and money to fix a head than a bottom end..
    Well I really don’t know what you mean. If you just add something to help clean lifters and valves, I don’t think you are causing any damage. The other thing is if you valves are bent, I don’t think adding this or 1 quart of anything would help bent valves and ticking would not go away. I think the reason for the ticking is the lifters hitting the valves, not the actual motion of the valves. I could be wrong. If you have that kind of problem i think you would have a little more than "ticking"

My Cars
    2016 M3 Manual
    switching to a 0W or 5W oil is also known to help. M1 0w40 seems to work better than castrol syntec 5W50 from my experience.

My Cars
    '88 M3, '99 NINJA, '87 SUBARU
    I know that Slick 50 brand engine treatment helped my engine sound a little smoother. I didnt even put in the whole bottle, just a few ounces and the changes were fairly significant.

My Cars
    No Car
    hey guys, I went to pepboys today and I found the redlone, you just replace one quart of oil with this reslone oil. I will be putting it in the motor on tueday along with URI crank and UUC EVO3 kit. should be tons of fun . cannot wait to see the results. I will also be getting new ignition coil connectors (i suspect one of mine is bad but i will just replace all 6. also i looked on the reslone bottle and its safe with all conventional and synthetic oils. I will be running 5w-30 mobile along with reslone. I used to run 0w-30 but it just seemed to thin to me, it poured like water, dunno maybe its just me being paranoid. anyways i'll let yall know my findings, thanks slickwill for the advice.

My Cars
    E30 M3, e92 M3, X3M comp
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaBimma
    hey guys, I went to pepboys today and I found the redlone, you just replace one quart of oil with this reslone oil. I will be putting it in the motor on tueday along with URI crank and UUC EVO3 kit. should be tons of fun . cannot wait to see the results. I will also be getting new ignition coil connectors (i suspect one of mine is bad but i will just replace all 6. also i looked on the reslone bottle and its safe with all conventional and synthetic oils. I will be running 5w-30 mobile along with reslone. I used to run 0w-30 but it just seemed to thin to me, it poured like water, dunno maybe its just me being paranoid. anyways i'll let yall know my findings, thanks slickwill for the advice.
    I’m Glad I could help. Let us know how it goes!!!!!

My Cars
    No Car
    hey guys, did a write up in E36 M3 section. worked just as promised if not better.

My Cars
    E30 M3, e92 M3, X3M comp
    See i told ya!!

My Cars
    86 325
    mind if i add my 2 cents?

i went to autozone yesterday and bout this LUCAS oil treatment, helps cool engine and helps the noisey lifters/valves. i put that in there started the car up and it is still ticking. i seen the redlone what you guys are talking about... i passed that up and went for the lucas oil shit that was 7.99$ i believe. this is the description of the stuff i bought today tell me if it "should" help after a while of driving it... it kind of embarrasses me driving a BMW around with that loud ass ticking noise. it sounds like a valve or lifter smacking the hell out of something. here's the description:

Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer
    A pure petroleum multi-use oil supplement. Controls noise, heat and wear in manual transmissions and differentials. Number one in the heavy duty and high performance industries.

Lucas Oil Stabilizer is a 100% petroleum product formulated to eliminate dry starts and reduce friction, heat and wear in any type of engine. It allows motor oils a higher degree of lubricity which reduces oil consumption and operating temperatures. Use Lucas Oil Stabilizer in gear oil to stop leaks, reduce operating temperatures and increase the life of the gear oil. Since it is pure petroleum, it can safely blend with all other automotive lubricants, even synthetics, ATF and mineral oil. It keeps old engines alive and new engines new.

Key Benefits
    Increase oil life at least 50% longer
    Reduces oil consumption
    Eliminates dry starts
    Raises oil pressure
    Increases power and miles per gallon

let me know if that should help.. ill try adding the whole dam bottle tomorrow mourning. or should i go purchase the REDLONE and pour that in there? please let me know if you guys dont mind thanks alot!!!!

My Cars
    E30 S50 Turbo
    Hmm...wonder if it's up to the challenge of auto-xing. I know that right after just one run my car ticks like hell and people are always looking at me wierd and wispering to eachother that it's my car making that wierd sound.

I have just learned to tell people who ask that I have a diesal conversion.

My Cars
    86 325
    Quote Originally Posted by mazur
    Hmm...wonder if it's up to the challenge of auto-xing. I know that right after just one run my car ticks like hell and people are always looking at me wierd and wispering to eachother that it's my car making that wierd sound.

I have just learned to tell people who ask that I have a diesal conversion.

LOLOLOL

seriously... should i try that stuff they mentioned above? i cant afford to fix it again i just replaced the alternator.

My Cars
    600cc of pure fury
    that lucas shit foams I wouldnt use it. Search and you`ll find a link to a guy whos done the tests.

My Cars
    600cc of pure fury
    PS rislone helped me.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i, 1996
    so, are you guys adding 1 quart of rislone and draining out a quart of oil? or just adding 1 quart of rislone?

casue adding a quart of oil might make it go away whether or not it is rislone...
    http://www.framesdirect.com/sunglasses/ - Sunglasses!
    1994 BMW 325i - GUTTED,
    AD shocks, eibach race springs, motorforce camberplates, stud conversion, and RTAB limiters, tunnel exauhst, CAI/chip, underdrive pullies, fan delete, AC delete, sparco race seats, 18x9 Superlegerras, GC swaybar, 2.8L engine with M50 intake manifold
    AND
    1996 BMW 328 - daily driver

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    A common cause of noisy valvetrains is reduced oil flow due to sludge build up in the oil passageways. This is a very common problem with Camray's and VW/Audi 1.8T engines, they have very small sumps (4qts on the 1.8T) and add Turbo heat you accelerate the problem. Both manufacturers have increased warrantys lately due to this problem.

A wonderful fix is a product called Auto-Rx. Sounds like a scam I know, but check in the best Oil Site on the net ( www.bobistheoilguy.com ) silly name, but the industry experts hang there. They very much support this product. I tried it on my 100k+ Passat last year and it quieted down my noisy valve train. Unlike harsh commercial products that break up any sludge into chucks that then plug up passageways, AutoRx slowly dissolves it over several thousand miles, and your oil filter collects it. (and man does your oil turn black if you had much sludge!) It cleans out the sludge from seals (that cause leaks due to lest plyablity), cleans ring packs (improves compression), and more. I will use it on my next car as well. Know that several oil companies have tried hard to buy the company, but he feels this will lose the intregrety of the product.

www.auto-rx.com

And before I ever would stick Riselone in my engine, I would research at Bob's.

www.bobistheoilguy.com

My Cars
    '99 M3
    one of the things i've found to really help valve tick is to keep the oil level "full". what i mean by that is to the very top of the range on the dipstick. i'll get some ticking when i'm in the lower half of that range, but if i keep it right at the top, it's quiet 99% of the time.

i run mobil1 10w-30 and have ~118k miles with numerous track events and autox's...

ymmv.
    Dan

'99 BMW M3
    '04 Toyota Tacoma

'79 Volvo 242 GT [sold]
    '79 Volvo 242 GT [sold]
    '03 Kawasaki ZX-6R [sold]

My Cars
    E30 M3, e92 M3, X3M comp
    I thought it would be nice to give you guys a update on this stuff.

i guess i should of said something about how she was doing earlier. 10,000 mile later still not one tick. i also had another oil change in there, around 5,000 miles ago. 6 mobil-1 0W-40 and one bottle of reslone. It sounds just like my M3 engine just rolled off the showroom floor. 75,000 on the clock now.

Any other reslone storys or updates?

My Cars
    86 325
    heres an update for u guys

added rislone because of the kinda loud ticking noise. a few hundred miles later, still no ticking. this bottle works miracles. and from the stories ive read on here, it seems like it cures whatever happend(s) in there. though, on the bottle it does say add it every oil change, so there u go! THIS STUFF WORKS!! http://www.rislone.com/engine.htm

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    back from the dead!

I've got some awful valve tick, and my head was rebuild less than a year ago and I haven't money shifted. I'd be willing to try one of these products before I start digging into the motor again. I'm interested in a fix, not just a cover up.

any more info on this AutoRX stuff? If it actually works. I'd like to hear from more than one person.
    Ted Teten
    1995 M3 Coupe - S52'd

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Guys I wouldnt run this stuff after every oil change. Maybe once and then once without it and repeat if the ticking comes back. These additives commonly thin the oil in an attempt to "wash" the crud off of parts. Overtime it could be damaging...

My Cars
    1997 328iS - Boston Grün
    i've always had good results with rislone in my experience. I am going to try it in my 740 V8 to cure a valve ticking. I would say to use it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast