My Cars
    2004 BMW X5 4.4i

E53 key issue after battery change

2004 x5 4.4i battery died. Kept power to the car while I changed out the battery. Now key won't start car, no crank just all the lights come on, doors lock/unlock, Windows work radio ect. Have another key but the buttons don't unlock the car and have to put key in door to unlock but not sure I can find it yet. Did i cause the key not to recognize the imobilizet/esw. Can I get them synced again!

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by fernando51454 View Post
    ...Kept power to the car while I changed out the battery. ...
    Can you explain in more detail what the text in the quote above actually means?

Are you saying that you left the ignition turned on while disconnecting the battery cables?

Or do you mean that you hooked up a power source to the jump start terminals while disconnecting the battery cables so that you wouldn't lose any of your clock/OBC settings etc? But the ignition was in the OFF position.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2004 BMW X5 4.4i
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Can you explain in more detail what the text in the quote above actually means?

Are you saying that you left the ignition turned on while disconnecting the battery cables?

Or do you mean that you hooked up a power source to the jump start terminals while disconnecting the battery cables so that you wouldn't lose any of your clock/OBC settings etc? But the ignition was in the OFF position.

I kept power to er to the car by using a battery charger so I wouldn't loose power for clock ect. I assume I had key in the off position but I'm sure the key was in the ignition during battery change.

- - - Updated - - -

I have two keys and neither rank the car but all the lights work. It's like the key is not recognizing the esw?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Thanks for the clarification...just wanted to be sure it was understood what occurred.

With any electrical issue...have you checked the new battery's voltage to make sure that it is fully charged and capable of starting the vehicle? If the replacement battery was on the shelf for a while...it may have discharged to the point that it is below 11.89 volts....which could leave it enough power to illuminate interior lights etc...but not start the vehicle.

If you've unlocked your cluster...you can use TEST 9 to see what the battery's voltage is (with ignition in position 1)....or if you have a multimeter...hook directly to the battery to get a reading.

Also, if you keep power connected as you did when replacing the battery...it's easy to accidentally short while removing/placing the battery cables...and could have blown a fuse. Have you checked your fuses for any blown ones? Especially those associated with Immbilization and Engine Control....look at your fuse index in the glove box for the fuses that cover these areas.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-12-2017 at 10:50 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Find and try the other key first quick and easy

My Cars
    2004 BMW X5 4.4i
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Find and try the other key first quick and easy

I tried my other key same issue. Tested the battery and it was over 12 volts but it was weak when I first got it. Put it on a charge to 100% still nothing. No crank but all lights come. I looked at the imobilizer fuses in the glove box and they looked fine. Are there other fuses I need to check on in there. I didn't pull every single one out just the three that were assigned to imobilizer. I also opened up the e-box and checked the fuse cluster in there and they all looked good. I took out the dme relay to go get another at a parts store to see if that is the issue. When I was charging the old battery I thought a smelled a burnt odor by where the e-box is located but I looked inside and don't see or smell anything now. Could the dme relay have shorted. It's only a $12 part and may be worth swapping out. I cand imagine the dme module got fried by just charging it with a charger under the hood. Thanks for all your help this is killing me!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    On the e39 there is a fuse box with strip fuses under the passenger front seat carpet, I wonder if the e53 has it.

My Cars
    2004 BMW X5 4.4i
    On the e39 there is a fuse box with strip fuses under the passenger front seat carpet, I wonder if the e53 has it.

I will have a look. I'm thinking it could be a starter motor. That slight burn smell could have come from the starter motor since on the right hand side of the motor when I smelled it slightly. Could they burn up and cause a burnt smell.

My Cars
    2004 BMW X5 4.4i

I looked no no fuse box there. Thinking I may have a starter issue. Do I need to get under the car to check that? If it was a sync issue with my key and the esw, would my other key work and it didn't. So can I rule out the connection from me key to the esw/imobilizer?

My Cars
    2004 BMW X5 4.4i
    Thanks for all your suggestions. Turns out it was the starter. Ground cable from solenoid to starter was arcing. Bought a new starter installed it and fired right up. Wonder if that ground cable can be resodered and the starter be good to go as a bavk up?