Thread: M3 Suspension upgrade, Help needed

My Cars
    98 323is

M3 Suspension upgrade, Help needed

I just acquired an M3 supsension (Struts, springs, shocks) from a 98 M3 for a 98 323is. What other parts do I need to simply install the components I have? Basically I do not know what parts are needed to mount the struts, etc.

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    You need the upper spring plate for a 96+M3. Other than that all your parts will bolt on.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&threadid=3476

Good luck!
    Bernman

My Cars
    98 323is

Bad call

I called bimmerparts and they just about chastised me for wanting to change the suspension. They said it is a bad move. Anyone care to tell me why?

My Cars
    2000 Mercedes-Benz CLK430, 92 325i/4
    They are dumb

My Cars
    98 323is
    Can I use the 323is stock upper strut mounts for the m3 struts and springs or should I purchase the new M3 ones?

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by raulpou
    I called bimmerparts and they just about chastised me for wanting to change the suspension. They said it is a bad move. Anyone care to tell me why?
    Did they give you any detail on "bad move?"

I just put M3 struts, springs, swaybars, and strut bearings from a '95 M3 on my '96 328i. The whole job took about 4 hours. I only had the parts listed above, used all my stock hardware, standard tools, air tools, and a spring compressor.

There are some different reinforcements available for the front and rear that you may consider if you are planning to drive aggressively. Many previous threads cover this topic.

The difference is unreal. My car sits a little more than 1" lower now and is much tighter.

If the 323 is the same e36 platform as my 328, you shouldn't have problems.

My Cars
    98 323is
    They basically said it would not change my ride height, or handling. The stock struts basically suck and there is ZERO point to doing this. It really left me kinda pissed off because he did not answer my question but rather went on to banter about everyone who does this is stupid for doing so.

BTW- Do you think the stock strut bearings would work? Is the difference noticeable?

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Plug:

You need my M3 sway bars to complete the package.

My Cars
    98 323is
    : How much, shipped to Orlando?

My Cars
    1994 325i, 1999 528iT
    Can I use the 323is stock upper strut mounts for the m3 struts and springs or should I purchase the new M3 ones?
    Yes, you can (and probably should) use your 323 upper strut mounts with the M3 struts and springs. As Bernman noted, what you need are the 96+ M3 upper springs plates. The plates sit between the upper strut mount and the spring itself.

You would want to use a different upper strut mounts if:

a) you are switching to 96+ M3 control arms,

or

b) you want to do something non-stock in terms of front camber and caster.

Kent

My Cars
    E46 M3
    : How much, shipped to Orlando?
    $95 shipped to FL. PM me or post in my thread. (Link in sig)

JB

My Cars
    98 323is

Which are the spring plates?

I looked at the link that he has which lists the parts but there is no "plate" is there another name.

My Cars
    1992 325i, 1996 MB C220
    If he has bigger tires, use the 95 hat - it will add caster and cure the tramlining problem that the e36 experiences when you add wide tires in the front.

I'm running 95 m3 hats, 96+ springs and struts, once again a world of difference before and after. You will need to allign the car afterwards, as the drop and increase in camber will change the toe.

Take care,

George
    Current Cars:
    2007 Range Rover HSE - 22" Redboune Nottinghams (winter daily)
    2001 BMW 740i - New Project
    1999 Jaguar XK8 Show Car done By Arden
    2011 Mercedes E550 4matic Sport (daily driver)
    1996 Chevrolet Impala SS
    1997 Chevrolet Corvette
    George - J&M Automotive, Hamilton NJ
    Sales - Service - Accessories

My Cars
    00 sc Roadie
    Chris at Bimmerparts occasionaly surfs these fora --maybe he'll chime in.

Perhaps they were saying it was a bad move because you're installing used wear components?

I'm going to be putting in my new suspension in a couple weeks --I'm using the M3 upper strut mounts and spring hats (96 on), I've also been told that the ground control Rear shock mounts are a good idea.
    Some ladies like a hand-held. I prefer to drive mine.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    I looked at the link that he has which lists the parts but there is no "plate" is there another name.
    I think it is also called a spring hat but the TIS from BMW calls it a top spring plate. It's simple, M3 struts and springs are a different size diameter than your stock ones. The spring is sandwiched between two "plates" . on the struts, the bottom " plate is built into it, the spring sits on that an then there is a separate top plate that goes on top of the spring. This top plate must be from an m3 to fit the smaller diameter m3 spring.

Part #8 is the rubber pad and #7 is the actual plate.

as euro4life mentioned above, if you use M3 struts you really should also use an m3 sway bar in the front because the stock one mounts to the control arm and an m3 sway bar connects to the strut, although you could get away with leaving the stock one on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by markcm; 07-20-2004 at 12:42 AM. Reason: add text

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    If you talk to Lou in the parts department at www.pacificbmw.com and ask him for an Upper Spring Plate for a 96 M3 front strut, he will be able to get you the part number, and will sell you them...probably for about $10 each. You need two. As Mark pointed out, you need the spring cushions as well. If your struts did not come with the lower ones, you should get these too.

Bimmerparts was giving you reasonable advice. It is not the best idea in the world to put used OEM shocks and struts on your car. It will probably work, but the lifetime of the OEM parts is really not much more than 50k to 60k miles. You are much better off with new parts. The M3 springs *will* lower your car, and they do have higher spring rates. I am not sure why the bimmerparts guy told you differently.
    Last edited by Bernman; 07-20-2004 at 12:54 AM.

My Cars
    1996 328i

part #'s

Here is a more detailed picture with part numbers for a 96 M3. spring plates are 31 33 2 227 903
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by markcm; 07-20-2004 at 01:17 AM. Reason: add part #

My Cars
    98 323is
    They basically said the set-up as a whole is a bad idea, even with new struts because he did not like the OEM quality or ride. I'm not looking for an argument I just think it is bad service to not sell someone the parts they are looking for because you don't like what they want to do with their car.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    They basically said the set-up as a whole is a bad idea, even with new struts because he did not like the OEM quality or ride. I'm not looking for an argument I just think it is bad service to not sell someone the parts they are looking for because you don't like what they want to do with their car.
    That's a bunch of craaap.

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    That is *very* un-Zygmunt-like. In my experience they have been very helpful, polite, and had good prices. The prices seem to not be as great as they once were, but the service has been beyond reproach. Times change I suppose. Not always for the best...

Good luck!