Thread: Thinking of buying this, what do you think?

My Cars
    2003 540i

Thinking of buying this, what do you think?

Long time lurker, but not posted anything (that I can remember). Really truly sorry if this is not the board/place for this type of question, but I already own a 2003 540i (which I really love) and would like to add/upgrade to a newer model. I was searching around a bit on EBay in my city and found this car/listing, 2008 535xi since I forgot that part:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112299268616...84.m1555.l2649

Since BimmerForums is one of the "authorities" on BMW's, I just want to get some input about this car, aside from driving the car (which I plan to do tomorrow) but how does this model compare? I have heard from a few "enthusiasts" at the office and they say these models are hard to come by, plus with rebuilt turbos. It sure looks clean and seems to have low miles.

Just looking for some input. Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by lovesflsun; 02-10-2017 at 04:21 PM.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Seems like a solid car from the pictures, haven't seen too many xi wagons either - the most important thing to remember is to get a PPI report. I've attached a link to our site's DIY tech articles on the E60; it should help you in the future troubleshoot and resolve any issues that you may have....if you get the car Best of luck!

BMW 5-Series E60 (2004-2010) Technical Articles

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    Welcome to the forum.
    Looks like a nice touring....
    See you have a e39, but would read through this PDF to help get you up to speed and what to expect for service etc.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...8&d=1486389177
    Last edited by jtbgonesailing; 02-10-2017 at 08:25 PM.

My Cars
    2000 528i Sport Wagon
    I saw this post but didnt want to comment in fear of it getting locked as we are a dealer and this is our car.
    However, I thought I'd comment so at least the OP knows what happened to the auction.
    We're having to replace the valve cover due to a leak that couldnt be resolved so I ended the auction and will relist once we're satisfied with the repair.

Thanks....
    “I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

My Cars
    2000 528i Sport Wagon
    Wagon is available but not on Ebay again yet - New valve cover installed - Issue resolved
    “I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

My Cars
    2000 528i Sport Wagon

My Cars
    2000 528i Sport Wagon
    So what do the powers that be think this car is actually worth?
    I actually had a guy call me about it who was bidding on it commenting that he'd go up another couple of hundred from his 5800 bid.
    My response was - This is a $13k car, I wont be even close to that. Then he comments about how he's watching a sedan but not stuck on it as if it was going to sway me somehow.
    While I dont expect $13k for this car - I find it almost insulting and at the same time mind boggling that someone thought a $6k bid was sufficient to buy this car.
    You cant buy this car broken for that - wholesale for that etc.... I just dont get it....

My Cars
    Not a BMW that's for sur
    Thing is .. we almost have to assume that something is broken on these cars when we buy them, more so if we don't know the service history. For example, if the water pump hasn't been replaced, one needs to assume it will need one. Same with a walnut blasting, various oil leaks and injectors, HPFP, and transmission mechatronic sleeves, etc. All of that figures into the price. It's certainly worth more than $6k but I think $13k is on the high end ...

To compare, I bought a 2010 535ix sedan 6MT with half the mileage for just a little more than you're asking, and I don't think I got a "smoking" deal by any means (the manual transmissions are hard to find).

My Cars
    2000 528i Sport Wagon
    Understood... and like I said, I dont expect $13k. I have it at $12 right now just hoping for a bite and work from there.
    The unfortunate part is that I have 12k in it after doing the turbos, valve cover and fees I've incurred etc.
    Sucks but it happens sometimes.....
    My 30 hours of labor doing the turbos was all just a learning experience
    Most importantly learned I'll never do that again

My Cars
    Not a BMW that's for sur
    Keep in mind Ebay and CL commands lower prices. You may have more more luck at CarSoup.com, where these are listed at about $12k-$13k (which doesn't mean that's what they actually sell for). Presumably, lots which offer financing will probably sell them for more too.

My Cars
    2000 528i Sport Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Norskie View Post
    Keep in mind Ebay and CL commands lower prices. You may have more more luck at CarSoup.com, where these are listed at about $12k-$13k (which doesn't mean that's what they actually sell for). Presumably, lots which offer financing will probably sell them for more too.
    On CarSoup there are only 2 535xi's within 500 miles of my zip and neither are wagons

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Looks like there is a $10k 08 535xit with 102k for sale now. I think that is about where these cars are now. Great cars. We bought our 08 535xit sport cpo with 30k miles in January 2011 for $39k and I figure it is worth maybe $10k today with 115k miles but we are keeping it for a couple more years.