Thread: New to this Forum and considering a E92 M3 or V10 M6

My Cars
    2013 Nissan Gt-R

New to this Forum and considering a E92 M3 or V10 M6

Hello My name is Steven and I am here today to get some insight on the two cars I am considering buying. I have searched the forums and although there are some threads about this, I really did not hear much from people who have experience with both the e92 m3 and the v10 engine m6. I currently am selling my 2013 GTR to free up some funds for an investment opportunity and will have some extra cash around, around 30k and I have been seeing the v10 m6s that have really good prices some under 20k and I have been seeing some m3s for around 25k both have lots of miles. I really like both however I have never owned a BMW. I have owned some high performance cars so I'm not really looking for a race car. I really am looking for a good comfortable daily driver. I like that both Ms have some power so I won't be missing speeding sometimes. I would like to see what you guys think of the maintenance and reliablity aspect of owning one of these cars as well as which will be the overall better car and daily driver, because ill tell you that my GT-R really was a pain the ass once the wow factor wore off. Any help is appreciated. thank you

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hey Steven - welcome to the forum! I think that the V10 M6 will be a pain as well, once the wow factor wears off. From what I've read and heard from owners, the V10 isn't the most reliable engine that BMW has produced. They go through coils and maintenance is excessive and expensive. The M3 is much less a pain and would make for a much more enjoyable daily. Maintenance is less intensive and the reliability factor is much higher. Whichever one you decide to go with, make sure that you get a full PPI report beforehand. Best of luck and let us know what you went with.

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2013 Nissan Gt-R
    Thank you for the advice. I am leaning towards the m3 more. I am looking forward to owning one soon.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    As a powerful comfy cruiser, you would like the M5 more. It has some of the same issues as the M3, like rod bearings and throttle actuators, but also adds vanos issues and the automatic version called SMG is clunkier and probably less reliable than the auto version of the M3 (the M3 auto, called DCT, is excellent).

There is a reason why these $80k or $60k cars are selling for $20-25k used. Great value if you can DIY. Potentially a bad value if not. I have had an 08 E90M3 6MT for 6 years and it has been very reliable. I did the rod bearings as preventative maintenance when the extended warranty expired a few years ago. Also replace a fuel pressure sensor and throttle actuator, motor mounts and front tension rod bushings, and plugs, filters, and fluids. It's due for front rotors.

Message member Matutino. He recently shopped both cars and bought the M5 but with an aftermarket warranty.