Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1997 750il Navigation RetroFit with 2001 Ibus Audio.

My Cars
    97 E38, 01 E38, 00 W220

1997 750il Navigation RetroFit with 2001 Ibus Audio.

It is ridiculous that this car didn't come with a navigation screen. Has to update.

Is is there any Modifications I need to make the Ibus work?

I pulled the ENTIRE AUDIO SYSTEM FROM MY 01 740il.

do I need to do anything further besides a strait forward install. Thanks in advance.

Pics coming soon.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    This is not something I have experience with but the guys that do will probably need to know what you currently have in the 750. Does it have DSP?

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    I did pretty much the same swap, it was pretty easy but when I pulled the harness from my 01 i just cut the speaker wires and soldered them to the existing wires in the car, also the relay on the '97 harness needs to be added on to the 01.

There are a few members here who have done the swap.
    TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

WIP: Custom Style 42 18x9.5" ET12, 18x10.5" ET8, 3.15 LSD Rear diff.

My Cars
    97 E38, 01 E38, 00 W220
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
    This is not something I have experience with but the guys that do will probably need to know what you currently have in the 750. Does it have DSP?

Thankyou, it is a Fully loaded 750 with DSP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sabreslight View Post
    I did pretty much the same swap, it was pretty easy but when I pulled the harness from my 01 i just cut the speaker wires and soldered them to the existing wires in the car, also the relay on the '97 harness needs to be added on to the 01.

There are a few members here who have done the swap.
    Thanks man I see in your Sig you've done a lot. What relay? I haven't seen it yet.

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    There is a relay towards the rear of the harness, I don't remember exactly where off the top of my head but I'll go to my car tomorrow after work and grab some pictures for you

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

WIP: Custom Style 42 18x9.5" ET12, 18x10.5" ET8, 3.15 LSD Rear diff.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    If you have the money to spend, it is easier to buy a retrofit harness online. They are around $200. It plugs in up front and runs right to the back. You lay it down with the car harness. Then everything plugs in.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    97 E38, 01 E38, 00 W220
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    If you have the money to spend, it is easier to buy a retrofit harness online. They are around $200. It plugs in up front and runs right to the back. You lay it down with the car harness. Then everything plugs in.

Wow!!! Ok ok Racer where do I buy???

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrphlly1 View Post
    It is ridiculous that this car didn't come with a navigation screen. Has to update.
    Just an FYI...prior to 1998...no car manufacturer installed navigation screens...just like there weren't iPhones back in 1970 (wasnt it only like 10 years ago in around 2006/2007 when the first iPhone debuted?)...your wish is for something prior to its introduction to the market.

But it was BMW that came to market first with onBoard navigation systems from the car manufacturer...and that was the 1998 model year. So you missed your wish by one year.

Prior to 1998 and the integrated navigation system...BMW offered navigation systems in their accessory catalog. One was a small screen (usually mounted atop a long gooseneck in the e38/e39 sedans) that was usually attached to the tranny hump. Then there was the TrafficPro nav systems.

I found some old pics of both types installed in a Z3:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-10-2017 at 05:17 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    BMW did debut the MKI system in 1994 (with the beginning of E38 production). It was not a very common option until the MKII came out in the 1998 model year.
    The dealer-installed nav perhaps filled a gap for the American market since Americans don't like to order their cars and wait.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL
    I had MK1 navigation in my old 97 740il.
    Spaceships & Woodgrain.

My Cars
    are slow
    The year is 2017, and you've just upgraded to Windows 2000. The gate has just opened for DSP cars with these touchscreen Chinese units, and since the 2001 had nav that will actually allow you to use these new options.

I've seen some MkIs in 750s though.
    Last edited by XAlt; 02-10-2017 at 07:18 PM.

My Cars
    97 E38, 01 E38, 00 W220
    Quote Originally Posted by psjr View Post
    BMW did debut the MKI system in 1994 (with the beginning of E38 production). It was not a very common option until the MKII came out in the 1998 model year.
    The dealer-installed nav perhaps filled a gap for the American market since Americans don't like to order their cars and wait.

Yes ive bought 11 of these E38s and Most of them had Navigation. A select few came without it like My 95 740il. My 1997 740il has Navigation and my 01 740il has Navigation. Just alittle disappointed in my 750 because of all the toys in it and no screen but we are handling it right away.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Just an FYI...prior to 1998...no car manufacturer installed navigation screens...just like there weren't iPhones back in 1970 (wasnt it only like 10 years ago in around 2006/2007 when the first iPhone debuted?)...your wish is for something prior to its introduction to the market.

But it was BMW that came to market first with onBoard navigation systems from the car manufacturer...and that was the 1998 model year. So you missed your wish by one year.

Prior to 1998 and the integrated navigation system...BMW offered navigation systems in their accessory catalog. One was a small screen (usually mounted atop a long gooseneck in the e38/e39 sedans) that was usually attached to the tranny hump. Then there was the TrafficPro nav systems.

I found some old pics of both types installed in a Z3:

Ok????? I'm sorry I don't know that to be even remotely true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    The year is 2017, and you've just upgraded to Windows 2000. The gate has just opened for DSP cars with these touchscreen Chinese units, and since the 2001 had nav that will actually allow you to use these new options.

I've seen some MkIs in 750s though.

Not really interested in anything but a fully loaded factory Look and feel. Fortunately for a dealer such as myself I get to buy, drive and play with all makes and models. I just find WINDOWS 2000 more comfortable and reliable than most operating systems available today. Thanks for the input.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Wow!!! Ok ok Racer where do I buy???
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...s/61120309250/

So I did forget to mention that this retrofit harness has the newer radio connector in the trunk. That means you must upgrade your radio to the newer BM53 flat pin radio in order to fit the harness. While that is an added expense, in my opinion it is worth it because not only do the radios sound better than the old gen but depending upon the version you get ,it will also support sirius xm and an aux input completely factory integrated. That's about everything I need in my car.

I do admit the newer units that are out now seem tempting, but I just don't like the look and the cheesy graphics. They still don't have them looking good in-dash. If I need newer tech, I just hook my phone up to the car through the TV module. Like having an android in-dash.
    Last edited by racer2086; 02-10-2017 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Typos
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    97 E38, 01 E38, 00 W220

So I did forget to mention that this retrofit harness has the newer radio connector in the trunk. That means you must upgrade your radio to the newer BM53 flat pin radio in order to fit the harness. While that is an added expense, in my opinion it is worth it because not only do the radios sound better than the old gen but depending upon the version you get ,it will also support sirius xm and an aux input completely factory integrated. That's about everything I need in my car.

I do admit the newer units that are out now seem tempting, but I just don't like the look and the cheesy graphics. They still don't have them looking good in-dash. If I need newer tech, I just hook my phone up to the car through the TV module. Like having an android in-dash.

Question Racer how does it become easier? Is it complete plug and play? Finance is no problem. I'll buy a whole car and gut what I need easily. That updated radio should be in an X5 or somethin.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    ok I did the NON Navigation to navigation.
    it took me 6 hours you will need the following
    Harness
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E39-E53-...JUUlpj&vxp=mtr

MK4 I have one for sale
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-MK4-GPS-...VX7ub2&vxp=mtr

widescreen monitor
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-NAVIGATI...JYmK6R&vxp=mtr

also you will need to code the amp using (I let you borrow mine as long as you pay shipping both ways.)
    http://www.navcoder.com/

you have to run the harness from the back of the car to the front of the car.
    Here is the DIY
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/479497

Good LUCK IF you were closer I help you do the install
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Question Racer how does it become easier? Is it complete plug and play? Finance is no problem. I'll buy a whole car and gut what I need easily. That updated radio should be in an X5 or somethin.
    Yes, it is easier. There is no cutting or soldering of wires. There is a large rectangular plug up front that plugs into the connector that used to plug into the front in-dash radio. Then the harness runs to the back and leaves you with the flat pin connector for the new trunk radio and the blue and maroon connectors for the nav computer. There is also an AUX connector already integrated into the harness so you can add an aux plug up front quite easily without having to run anything to the trunk again. There is also a new antenna wire integrated into the harness that plugs into the c-pillar amplifier in place of your current radio antenna and runs with the harness to plug into the radio in the trunk. It is very straight forward and laid out perfectly.

The only additional thing you will have is two longer loose wires up front: one is to go to the ABS wheel speed for the front left wheel that is up behind the glove box and the other is supposed to go to the LCM with a crimp on connector to the reverse light wire to signal reverse to the nav computer. It will function fine without them, but the wheel speed is used by the nav to help with accuracy counting down to a turn and/or if you are in the city or a tunnel where the GPS signal is weak. (I have used it in Boston, where there is no GPS in the tunnels for the phone or car, but the car nav keeps going fine along the map as it reverts to the wheel speed sensor). I'm not sure why the nav needs to know when the car is in reverse. But in the nav diagnostics, it does have a field to show whether the car is in forward or reverse gear.

For $228, the harness is a great deal (in my opinion). The hardest thing about the retrofit then just becomes feeding that large rectangular connector up under the center console to the center dash -- the hardest 2 feet of the retrofit. But it can be done; I've done it in my E38 and just did it in my gf's E39 this last December. The rest is easy.

You will need to remove the left trunk trim, the rear seats, rear c-pillars and lights, rear deck, left door sill trim, lower b-pillar trim, driver's seat, semi-lift-up the air ducting under the driver's seat. You will need to remove the trim above the glove box, and just to the right of the steering wheel, remove the center dash frame, center console trim (to help run the wiring). That should be about it. Just take your time. Everything should come apart and go back together with relative ease. If it doesn't, something isn't in right or isn't being installed in the right order.

Feel free to PM me for help. I can give you my number if you have questions during the install.

You shouldn't pay more than $228 for the harness, $200-350 for MKIV, $100-150 for widescreen or $50 for regular screen w/ wood, BM53 $50-300 (...can be pricy on ebay). For reference, I got my BM53 and MKIV for $75 from a yard. Widescreen from a local part-out for $100. All trunk brackets you should be able to get for cheap from a local part-out. The center nav frame will be tough because you have a prefacelift with the individual console buttons. There weren't many prefacelift cars with nav in them, so I had to buy my frame from BMW back in 2010 when I installed this stuff. But if you watch ebay, I've seen them come up on there. I think that's about it.

You WILL need the car coded if you have DSP. The radio will shut off after a minute if you don't. My non-DSP was ok, but the DSP amp needs to know there is nav installed in order to work properly.

Edit: I forgot to talk about the CD changer. Since you have a 97, like my 98 your CD changer uses the weird round plug. You will have to replace that with an I-bus CD changer if you want to keep a changer in the car. You will also need to make a mini harness to run the audio from the 6-pin plug of the changer to the CD changer pins on the trunk radio. Additionally, you will need to make a mini harness to get power/ground/i-bus to the 3 pin connector on the CD changer. That's how it communicates with the radio and car. It isn't as hard as it sounds if you have the connector plugs, BMW pins, solder and heat shrink tubing. I cut what I need out of junkyard cars.
    Last edited by racer2086; 02-11-2017 at 07:48 PM.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    ...Ok????? I'm sorry I don't know that to be even remotely true.
    Looks like I should have left well enough alone...trying to go back 20 years to remember what was being offered...got me spanked. I confess...the debut of the MK 1 Nav system as an option was lost somewhere in the fog of my memory.

But 1998 does stand out in my memory...perhaps it was the year that the onBoard Nav system became standard equipment on the 750iL (in the US market)...but still optional on the V8. (I'm still up for correction if it can be proven that prior to 1998 any nav system came as standard equipment...and not as an option).

Nav monitor (and Traffic Pro) from the accessory catalogs of that day are true, too. See the images below of the optional Nav system from an old BMW accessory catalog that I still have in my library.

Here's some old Traffic Pro images/info:

{Traffic Pro installed in place of the MID in an e38}

The 4th attachment image below gives the 11 digit BMW part number for the e38 & e39 even though they weren't pictured in the catalog (65 90 9 408 775 @ $1100).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-11-2017 at 09:39 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    97 E38, 01 E38, 00 W220
    Yes, it is easier. There is no cutting or soldering of wires. There is a large rectangular plug up front that plugs into the connector that used to plug into the front in-dash radio. Then the harness runs to the back and leaves you with the flat pin connector for the new trunk radio and the blue and maroon connectors for the nav computer. There is also an AUX connector already integrated into the harness so you can add an aux plug up front quite easily without having to run anything to the trunk again. There is also a new antenna wire integrated into the harness that plugs into the c-pillar amplifier in place of your current radio antenna and runs with the harness to plug into the radio in the trunk. It is very straight forward and laid out perfectly.

The only additional thing you will have is two longer loose wires up front: one is to go to the ABS wheel speed for the front left wheel that is up behind the glove box and the other is supposed to go to the LCM with a crimp on connector to the reverse light wire to signal reverse to the nav computer. It will function fine without them, but the wheel speed is used by the nav to help with accuracy counting down to a turn and/or if you are in the city or a tunnel where the GPS signal is weak. (I have used it in Boston, where there is no GPS in the tunnels for the phone or car, but the car nav keeps going fine along the map as it reverts to the wheel speed sensor). I'm not sure why the nav needs to know when the car is in reverse. But in the nav diagnostics, it does have a field to show whether the car is in forward or reverse gear.

For $228, the harness is a great deal (in my opinion). The hardest thing about the retrofit then just becomes feeding that large rectangular connector up under the center console to the center dash -- the hardest 2 feet of the retrofit. But it can be done; I've done it in my E38 and just did it in my gf's E39 this last December. The rest is easy.

You will need to remove the left trunk trim, the rear seats, rear c-pillars and lights, rear deck, left door sill trim, lower b-pillar trim, driver's seat, semi-lift-up the air ducting under the driver's seat. You will need to remove the trim above the glove box, and just to the right of the steering wheel, remove the center dash frame, center console trim (to help run the wiring). That should be about it. Just take your time. Everything should come apart and go back together with relative ease. If it doesn't, something isn't in right or isn't being installed in the right order.

Feel free to PM me for help. I can give you my number if you have questions during the install.

You shouldn't pay more than $228 for the harness, $200-350 for MKIV, $100-150 for widescreen or $50 for regular screen w/ wood, BM53 $50-300 (...can be pricy on ebay). For reference, I got my BM53 and MKIV for $75 from a yard. Widescreen from a local part-out for $100. All trunk brackets you should be able to get for cheap from a local part-out. The center nav frame will be tough because you have a prefacelift with the individual console buttons. There weren't many prefacelift cars with nav in them, so I had to buy my frame from BMW back in 2010 when I installed this stuff. But if you watch ebay, I've seen them come up on there. I think that's about it.

You WILL need the car coded if you have DSP. The radio will shut off after a minute if you don't. My non-DSP was ok, but the DSP amp needs to know there is nav installed in order to work properly.

Edit: I forgot to talk about the CD changer. Since you have a 97, like my 98 your CD changer uses the weird round plug. You will have to replace that with an I-bus CD changer if you want to keep a changer in the car. You will also need to make a mini harness to run the audio from the 6-pin plug of the changer to the CD changer pins on the trunk radio. Additionally, you will need to make a mini harness to get power/ground/i-bus to the 3 pin connector on the CD changer. That's how it communicates with the radio and car. It isn't as hard as it sounds if you have the connector plugs, BMW pins, solder and heat shrink tubing. I cut what I need out of junkyard cars.

Ive got all the parts from an 01. I took everything out of it. My personal 740 so I know it's all good stuff

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by franco90 View Post
    ok I did the NON Navigation to navigation.
    it took me 6 hours you will need the following
    Harness
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E39-E53-...JUUlpj&vxp=mtr

MK4 I have one for sale
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-MK4-GPS-...VX7ub2&vxp=mtr

widescreen monitor
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-NAVIGATI...JYmK6R&vxp=mtr

also you will need to code the amp using (I let you borrow mine as long as you pay shipping both ways.)
    http://www.navcoder.com/

you have to run the harness from the back of the car to the front of the car.
    Here is the DIY
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/479497

Good LUCK IF you were closer I help you do the install
    thanks man, when the harness comes in I'll do the magic lol, and pm you if I can't get it right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    U need the mk4
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    If you go with the retrofit harness, the radio in your picture will not plug in. Also, the nav frame on the right is for facelift cars (99+), so all the buttons below the A/C panel won't fit.

My Cars
    97 E38, 01 E38, 00 W220
    Quote Originally Posted by franco90 View Post
    U need the mk4

Ive got it. It's in my trunk already sitting in the Navigation frame. I installed the Mk4 in the hidden bracket in the trunk so nothing happens to it while I'm waiting for the harness to get in.

- - - Updated - - -

If you go with the retrofit harness, the radio in your picture will not plug in. Also, the nav frame on the right is for facelift cars (99+), so all the buttons below the A/C panel won't fit.
    Yeah I need the BM53 radio Tuesday I will have it.also I have buttons from a 2001 can I use those?

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Yeah I need the BM53 radio Tuesday I will have it.also I have buttons from a 2001 can I use those?
    That's a good question... Since I don't have a facelift, I'm not 100% sure what the pins on the back look like. But if the button pod takes the same size pins, you may be able to remove them from the prefacelift button connectors and swap them into the facelift button pod. If there's a prefacelift frame you can find, I think that would make things easier.

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    I...also I have buttons from a 2001 can I use those?
    Not that I know of unless there is some type of harness adapter.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    97 E38, 01 E38, 00 W220
    Ok guys thankyou for that nice piece of knowledge!!!! I will order one today.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840Ci, 1985 Fer

Educational thread guys, thanks. If I have a 2001 with the Mark III, and I'm upgrading the nav computer to Mark IV, is there a specific part # widescreen that I should be looking for? I wasn't sure where compatibility dropped off for plug-and-play install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Matthew M.
    North Carolina, USA
    1997 840Ci | 2001 740iL | 1985 308GTSi Quattrovalvole

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast