Thread: New 135i owner.

My Cars
    11 550i

Red face New 135i owner.

Hey everybody, I just recently picked up a one owner 09 135i with only 50k for a great price with a extended warranty covering all engine failure cause I am all too well familiar with repairs bills with these cars. I'm moving into this car from a 06 330i, and what a different beast this car is! All I can say is WOW, what a great car! When I saw it online I knew I had to have it, and quick before it sold because others were also looking at it. The great thing about this model is I got the six-speed manual fully loaded with M package, and rare navy blue color. Will try to post some pics when I get a chance, but it's sexy trust me. Already tinted the windows, looks really good. I want to make this car even more bad ass friends whats next! What should I do next performance wise? Also haven't done my research on what all the M package actually is, but if anybody can explain that would be awesome. Any other comments or service info from other 1 series owners are appreciated!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Congrats on the new purchase - hopefully you didn't jump in blindly and got a PPI report. I have a 2008 135i with the same N54 motor and there are several issues to look out for. I had to replace my oil cooler right around 50k because they tend to be faulty and may crack (a common replacement is from the 135is which has a much beefier cooler). Also, the N54 engines have a tendency to build up a lot of carbon and go through coils, so a misfire may happen. Lastly, like all BMWs there might be a small electrical issue; likely with a Restraint System Malfunction on the passenger side and involving a faulty sensor in the seat-belt (worse case is a faulty module). I'm by no means trying to scare you, but this is the reality of the first gen 1 series. It's good that it's still under warranty. Enjoy the car, but make sure to service it regularly and watch out for the above issues. As far as upgrades: intake, exhaust, and a JB4 tune are the most popular on it. Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions or need advice on parts.

-Dmitry
    Last edited by Pelican Parts; 02-09-2017 at 05:07 PM.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars

My Cars
    11 550i
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Congrats on the new purchase - hopefully you didn't jump in blindly and got a PPI report. I have a 2008 135i with the same N54 motor and there are several issues to look out for. I had to replace my oil cooler right around 50k because they tend to be faulty and may crack (a common replacement is from the 135is which has a much beefier cooler). Also, the N54 engines have a tendency to build up a lot of carbon and go through coils, so a misfire may happen. Lastly, like all BMWs there might be a small electrical issue; likely with a Restraint System Malfunction on the passenger side and involving a faulty sensor in the seat-belt (worse case is a faulty module). I'm by no means trying to scare you, but this is the reality of the first gen 1 series. It's good that it's still under warranty. Enjoy the car, but make sure to service it regularly and watch out for the above issues. As far as upgrades: intake, exhaust, and a JB4 tune are the most popular on it. Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions or need advice on parts.-Dmitry
    Cool thanks for the reply. As I stated it's under a extended warranty company so whatever breaks will be repaired under the warranty's expense But I will keep a close eye on everything you stated. I have heard of the oil cooler issue. With these German cars its seems to be a luck of the draw, some have issues some never do. From previous 3 series ownership others would say they have like 170k and never had any problems, while im over here taking out second loans from bank to cover repairs lol. -Dmitry[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

Any suggestions on best intake systems?

My Cars
    z3
    Be careful modifying the car with regards to keeping the warranty intact...

My Cars
    11 550i
    Thats very true, will keep that in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Be careful modifying the car with regards to keeping the warranty intact...

My Cars
    11 550i
    Any suggestions on best air intake system?