Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Another rear deck speaker upgrade.

My Cars
    99 528i Sp, 01 740i Sp
    Bill - it's going to take you more than an hour to get a sub-box out of one at a pick-and-pull
    Seriously, it's not that hard to get out but much easier in the comfort of your own garage. Then you can easily clip the seat backs and bottom back in, if it'll take you a while to install the new speakers in the box.

My Monsooned box has a buzz or rattle at higher bass levels. Have to go back there and see what's loose. Hopefully just a not-fully-seated grille. What I've afraid of is that one or more of the three child-seat anchor blocks isn't fully tightened down, allowing the box itself to vibrate against it's mounts. That will mean taking the seats back out, cover off, etc.

I also just ordered off Ebay an REM Murmur CD, the "Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs" version. They go for ~$200 NIB, or ~$30 used. Always been one of my favorite albums but the regular CD has terribly muddy sound. Really looking forward to blasting the much-improved version in the 7.

My Cars
    E30 and other misc high mileage trash
    just ordered mine

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurburgringer View Post
    Bill - it's going to take you more than an hour to get a sub-box out of one at a pick-and-pull
    Seriously, it's not that hard to get out but much easier in the comfort of your own garage. Then you can easily clip the seat backs and bottom back in, if it'll take you a while to install the new speakers in the box.
    I just can't see it taking me that long to yank from the Pick-N-Pull ;-) Yank out bottom seat, pop out c-panel lights, zip out all the bolts with a cordless impact... a few torx fasteners and done... Seems like a 15min job to me... especially since I am not trying to protect the condition of the parts I am removing...

Quote Originally Posted by Nurburgringer View Post
    My Monsooned box has a buzz or rattle at higher bass levels. Have to go back there and see what's loose. Hopefully just a not-fully-seated grille. What I've afraid of is that one or more of the three child-seat anchor blocks isn't fully tightened down, allowing the box itself to vibrate against it's mounts. That will mean taking the seats back out, cover off, etc.

I also just ordered off Ebay an REM Murmur CD, the "Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs" version. They go for ~$200 NIB, or ~$30 used. Always been one of my favorite albums but the regular CD has terribly muddy sound. Really looking forward to blasting the much-improved version in the 7.
    This makes me a little nervous. My 7 is so quiet now, no rattles or anything. I'd had to introduce a bunch of buzzing and rattling. I'd be curious to know what the cause of your new rattle/buzz is. I wonder if you speaker wire leads are flopping around inside the enclosure?

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    I was worried about rattles from my speaker covers but I don't have any. I am not sure this did not help my headliner let got though. Less than 1 week after getting my cd magazine and cranking the radio my headliner failed above the rear seats. Did the improved Bass speed up the failure? I guess I will never know.
    "Lead by example, follow by choice."

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    Anyone have a pic of what they did for the speaker connections?

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    This is the only one I have when I first tacked it on with solder to test it. Sorry not the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 528i Sp, 01 740i Sp
    ok I climbed in the back during a bass-heavy song (non-dsp, bass set to mid point, volume cranked just a bit over the max I would listen to). The "buzz" was coming from both left and right sides, wasn't affected (much, if at all) by pressing down on the grilles or cardboard cover. Seemed to be coming from the speakers themselves. I touched the cones and center part, but couldn't determine exactly what was causing it.
    You can hear it in this youtube vid:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9JCzUdlJb4

It's not a deal breaker for me. >90% of the songs I listen to, at typical volumes, don't cause any kind of buzz.
    But still annoying.
    Any ideas?

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    Sounds like air leaking around the speakers

My Cars
    99 528i Sp, 01 740i Sp
    damn, for sure laid a continuous bead of caulk around rim before setting them in.
    Go around them with more caulk, smoothed with my finger, or go for hot glue?
    Also over the screws would be a good idea I suppose.
    What would you do?
    Last edited by Nurburgringer; 02-24-2017 at 09:28 PM.

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    Well it might not be air, but that sounds like what I was hearing before I got mine fully sealed. You could try going around it again with more silicone, it would probably be easier then hot glue

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    Maybe it is leaking air around a screw or some where else on the box...

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    So I was thinking of a way to help figure out if it was an air leak. The old soapy tire bubble trick might work. With a soap/water solution, lightly go around the speakers. See if you get any bubbles. If not look for any other area to try without taking everything back out. Idk how well it will work but it is the only thing I can think of right now.

My Cars
    99 528i Sp, 01 740i Sp
    Is the box fully sealed? I thought there was a port in the center on the bottom side, leading to the trunk.
    If the trunk is open there shouldn't be any resistance out of this port, so no air leakage around the speakers.

I just smeared some silicone around the 6 screws on the passenger side, will let it cure overnight then crank her up again.
    Tomorrow I'll try first with the trunk closed and then open if there's still the noise from the passenger side with it closed.

Thanks for the ideas!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840Ci, 1985 Fer

Another rear deck speaker upgrade.

I appreciate the thread very much, guys. It's great inspiration, as I need to do this speaker job. Where you have been referring to "cutting", is it the need to cut out the bottom of the box, to accommodate a deeper speaker frame/magnet on the Monsoons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Matthew M.
    North Carolina, USA
    1997 840Ci | 2001 740iL | 1985 308GTSi Quattrovalvole

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by BobieM View Post
    I appreciate the thread very much, guys. It's great inspiration, as I need to do this speaker job. Where you have been referring to "cutting", is it the need to cut out the bottom of the box, to accommodate a deeper speaker frame/magnet on the Monsoons?

Thanks to dville, we no longer need to cut the box. Just use a heat gun on it. We have been cutting the plastic housing off from the monsoon speakers. They come with a shroud on them that needs to be removed.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840Ci, 1985 Fer
    Quote Originally Posted by thrawn5499 View Post
    Thanks to dville, we no longer need to cut the box. Just use a heat gun on it. We have been cutting the plastic housing off from the monsoon speakers. They come with a shroud on them that needs to be removed.

Great, thanks

Matthew M.
    North Carolina, USA

My Cars
    '96, '98 & '00 BMW 740iL
    So, uh, where'd you find four speakers for $30? Help a brother out! :P
    Last edited by 914; 02-25-2017 at 06:43 PM.

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il

Another rear deck speaker upgrade.

They were the ones posted on ebay. The prices just went up, and my shipping was low since it is an hour or so from me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Four-4-Brand...RYHYJ6&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by thrawn5499; 02-25-2017 at 07:02 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840Ci, 1985 Fer
    Thank you for the tip, just ordered a set.

Matthew M.
    North Carolina, USA

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    Well, just ordered my set too. I already have the speaker box out from yesterday's suspension install.

Funny thing is, although I can see now I have stock speakers and one has a tear in the rubber surround, they still pump out pretty nice bass as-is. Anyway, this should be a good pre-emptive upgrade before the stock ones head downhill and for $61 shipped couldn't really pass them up.

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    Well, just ordered my set too. I already have the speaker box out from yesterday's suspension install.

Funny thing is, although I can see now I have stock speakers and one has a tear in the rubber surround, they still pump out pretty nice bass as-is. Anyway, this should be a good pre-emptive upgrade before the stock ones head downhill and for $61 shipped couldn't really pass them up.
    Thats pretty much where I am at too. My deck speakers are in good shape.. no signs of physical degradation. I beleive the PO of my e38 kept it garaged and out of the sun. But new monsoons @ $50-60 seems like a nice upgrade regardless

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Those of you doing this yourselves.
    Make sure you know the green wire with the black stripe is the positive (+) speaker wire.

This is against most aftermarket wiring color conventions but BMW can do what they want right?

e38.weebly.com

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840Ci, 1985 Fer
    Yes they can, and often do and thank you.

Matthew M.
    North Carolina, USA

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    Quote Originally Posted by dville View Post
    Those of you doing this yourselves.
    Make sure you know the green wire with the black stripe is the positive (+) speaker wire.

This is against most aftermarket wiring color conventions but BMW can do what they want right?
    e38.weebly.com
    This is the same for the door speakers. Green/Black is (+) and Green is (-). On the Mid's and tweets however Black is (+) and Green is (-) which is just idiotic.

My Cars
    99 528i Sp, 01 740i Sp
    More Monsoon testing.
    Popped in a new CD I just got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/142274867035
    The standard CD was one of my first, and never sounded good. Terrible mix, but such a great album...
    Well Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs released this re-issue 10-15 years ago.
    Like listening to it for first time.
    But I had to turn the bass way down. Like 25% or less.
    And still, at higher volumes one song buzzed.

So, the impedance on these is 4ohms, vs 8 stock. They're all on the same channel, right?
    That would be half the total impedance, or twice the current.

I'm pretty sure the buzzing is coming from the cone itself. Can hear it in every speaker. Changes when I touch with my finger.

Do the 8ohm monsoons not fit?

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast