Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Another rear deck speaker upgrade.

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Monsoons in door

http://e38.weebly.com/speakers.html

You all will really love the sound of these speakers.
    Can't wait to hear the feedback.
    These speakers will outlast your car for sure.

One trick I did to my car was to cut up a black t-shirt and hot glue it to the underside of the removable speaker grilles.
    Cuts down on the sunlight beating down on the speakers and does not affect the sound.

e38.weebly.com

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by dville View Post
    Monsoons in door

http://e38.weebly.com/speakers.html

You all will really love the sound of these speakers.
    Can't wait to hear the feedback.
    These speakers will outlast your car for sure.

One trick I did to my car was to cut up a black t-shirt and hot glue it to the underside of the removable speaker grilles.
    Cuts down on the sunlight beating down on the speakers and does not affect the sound.

e38.weebly.com
    As always kudos to dville for inventing this product...

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurburgringer View Post
    yeah I know, but guess the stock door speakers don't typically crumble like the deck ones? Haven't seen nearly as much talk about this swap as the subs.
    sort of. i've found they still crumble but usually only to the touch--if they are not already blown
    i had polk 6.5" front door speakers in until they blew and they sounded amazing over stock, so im sure these mosoons sound great, too.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 750il
    Hey, new here...But am interested in this, as I come from the VW community and am familiar with the Monsoon speakers, and learning more about the complicated systems that the 750 entail.

I am helping my friend revitalize his car, and we just got the amp working (his car had the "tweeters only" syndrome until he swapped the amp two days ago), and the rear speakers are shot.

I have to ask, what is the reason for going 4 ohm across the board, and not mix and matching the 2ohm rear deck speakers with the 4ohm front door speakers from the Mk4 Jetta/Golf with Monsoon? Does it have to do with the ability of the amp to drive them efficiently, a sound issue, or does it just sound like a distorted mess?

Just want to know before I slog into the mess that is the junkyard near us that has two 7 series and about 12 Mk4 and many more B5/B5.5 Passats to dig through.

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro

Another rear deck speaker upgrade.

Each speaker in the sub box is driven by a separate amp channel that was designed for 8ohm. Front door Monsoons lower the impedance on each channel to 4ohm which produces more power with the consequence of increased current draw and heat dissipated which the over engineered amp seems to be quite fine with.

Not sure how you would mix and match without loading different channels with different impedance.

I did one time try a series combination with only 2 channels in use driving 4 speakers but I was underwhelmed.

But if you know me, I'm all about the experimenting. So if you do try something different, share the results please.

e38.weebly.com
    Last edited by dville; 02-17-2017 at 12:33 PM.

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    I think the rear deck speakers are originally 8ohm, so you can switch to the 4ohm Monsoon speakers and overdrive the amp a little bit without detriment. But heading down to the 2ohm might be a step too far.

Edit - dville beat me to it.

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Yes I agree. 2 ohm may be asking too much of the amp.

e38.weebly.com

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    I don't think a 16+ year old amp could handle the 2 ohm load for very long. These amps might have been decent when they were new, but if they only set on a shelf for 15 years some of the parts will have degraded and the amp won't be able to handle the stress it would have when it was new. at 4 ohms for the rear speakers they are already louder in my car then the rest of the speakers at the same volume. When you crank it up it is not very noticeable, but at really low volumes it definitely is. If you could run 2 ohm speakers on this amp without a problem, the volume difference in the speakers would be even more pronounced. If you upgraded the doors to 4 ohm then that wouldn't be as much of an issue but I still don't think the amp could handle it.
    "Lead by example, follow by choice."

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    I believe the doors are already 4ohm.

My Cars
    99 528i Sp, 01 740i Sp
    Good stuff. Won't worry about the door speakers right now, but if another window regulator should break (knock on wood) that would be a great time to do them.

I put a few different CDs in the mag this morning in an attempt to get some more bass to better hear the before/after.
    Like most here I assume, I don't use the "DSP" function (sounds too echo-y) just the standard, equalizer mode.

Literally as I was typing the above I got a text, telling me the speakers were delivered on my front porch.

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    Nice! Now get those installed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    My door speakers are 4ohm on my 1996 but wasn't sure if they were the same in my 01

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by thrawn5499 View Post
    . When you crank it up it is not very noticeable, but at really low volumes it definitely is.
    I think that's due to the bass control of the circuit rather then the impedance of the speakers. I have a set of aftermarket 10" subs run by an Alpine amp that gets it's signal from the rear deck speaker outputs of the stock amp. It dials back the bass quite a bit at high volumes (probably to protect the small stock subs.) So at low volumes my subs are overpowering, at high volumes they kinda disappear. Because of this, I'm thinking about doing the Monsoons in the rear deck box so I can get some truck space back and lose the weight back there, too. I already managed to score a set of the Monsoon speaker from my LKQ, I get a better deal than the Pick-n-Pull apparently, they cost me 2.98 each! I just need to get an oscillating saw so I can remove the spacers, plus I need to find one more pair of the Monsoons to put in my rear doors. (I already replaced the fronts with ones from BavSound.

My Cars
    99 528i Sp, 01 740i Sp
    ok, about 1.5 hours in and I'm exactly half-way through the job. And now I have an even greater respect for DVille, removing these boxes from junkyard cars.
    Stretch your back first!

Some tips:
    - No need to saw the plastic surrounds from the new speakers. Just carefully clamp it in a vice (soft-grip jaw covers) and use a sharpish chisel and moderate hammering to split the glue-joint. Takes repositioning 3-4 times in the vise to work all the way around. The 4th one took me about 2 minutes. Then used a ~400F soldering iron to hit the soldered pads, while gently prying up on it with a flat screwdriver. Voila.
    - No need to remove the armrest or first-aid kit holder (on my '01 shorty, at least).
    - The 4 tiny torx screws under the speaker grilles holding on the main speaker box cover are size T-10. Luckily, after scrounging around one of my tool boxes I found one that must have come in some cheapo kit 20 years ago.
    - BMW must have used some kind of locktite on the 13mm bolts holding down the child-seat latch brackets at the back of the box. Took some muscle to get these out, and not a lot of room to work with the rear window right there.

So, the crumbly old speakers are out, I just have to find a jar or something else the right size to enlarge the 2 inside speaker magnet wells after heating them up with my trusty Harbor Freight hot air gun and then tomorrow I'll get to soldering, caulking, and reassembly.

Fun job!
    Raising my pint glass to Dville and Thrawn right now
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nurburgringer; 02-17-2017 at 09:20 PM.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    The other day I noticed my sub is not working. I figure my mechanic unplugged it while doing the rear shocks. Is there any way to access the plug without removing everything?
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    00 BMW 750
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    The other day I noticed my sub is not working. I figure my mechanic unplugged it while doing the rear shocks. Is there any way to access the plug without removing everything?
    Everything will have to come out. I know it sucks. Almost made that mistake yesterday.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by tjpike View Post
    Everything will have to come out. I know it sucks. Almost made that mistake yesterday.
    No big deal. I have some monsoons to install anyway so I'll get those in while I'm at it. Thanks!
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    99 528i Sp, 01 740i Sp
    All done.
    Damn. Sounds GREAT to me!
    Played Sting Soul Cages (BIG bass) then Dire Straights CDs, messing around with the customizable "memo" DSP functions but ultimately going back to non-DSP.

I haven't listened to any high-end car audio to compare it to (probably better that way) but has a rich, clear, balanced sound with very nice bass IMO.

final tips:
    - I couldn't find a jar of the right size like Thrawn used, but had a Stanley metal thermos to enlarge/form the inside magnet-wells. You'll need something ~4" in diameter, and don't worry too much about melting through the plastic box. It can take a lot of heat.
    - drilled 3 holes in each Monsoon to use the stock hold-down screws, then with a smaller bit drilled through them into the box.
    Then soldered the leads (green/black is positive, thanks again Thrawn), laid down a small bead of silicone caulk, set the speakers in place and located 2 of the screw holes with toothpicks until I got the first screw tightened down.
    - The center child-seat attachment block was a bit cocked, so couldn't use the spacer to bolt down the hook. I'll never put a child seat in the center position anyway, so just snugged it down against the cardboard speaker box cover.
    - there are two screws on the bottom/outside edge of the seat backs, just outboard of the bottom seat belt receptacles. They were a pain to remove (should have taken off the seat-belt fixtures with a 17mm socket first), and I COULD NOT get them back in on reassembly. Must have spent 30 minutes effing with them, but couldn't get them to bite in the threads. With the lower seat cushion in place the seatbacks don't move anyway, so 2 leftover screws from the job...

Took the opportunity to clean/condition all the leather, gently wipe down the mouse-hair trim with a damp microfiber cloth and dish soap (it looked ok but quite a bit of dirt came out), vacuum the car, and clean the inside of the rear glass.

For a final time, thanks to all that shared their tips/instructions, and also the heads up on the Ebay deal.

VERY happy with the sound system now

20170249_134045.jpg20170249_122821.jpg20170249_120535.jpg
    Last edited by Nurburgringer; 02-18-2017 at 08:59 PM.

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    Looks great! Good job! I too am pretty pleased with the sound quality now too. It can't compete with some of the custom setups I have done, but sounds great for modified stock

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Love it!!!!
    Clean factory look and know that those speakers won't dry rot as long as you have that car.

e38.weebly.com

My Cars
    1998 BMW 750il
    Thanks for the info, folks. Your answers are very helpful. We may have to pull the rear seatback to address a non functioning, but running (on startup) rear headrest motor, at least that's what it appears the noise is coming from, so we will check this out then. Much obliged. Great community!

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurburgringer View Post
    All done.
    Damn. Sounds GREAT to me!
    Played Sting Soul Cages (BIG bass) then Dire Straights CDs, messing around with the customizable "memo" DSP functions but ultimately going back to non-DSP.

I haven't listened to any high-end car audio to compare it to (probably better that way) but has a rich, clear, balanced sound with very nice bass IMO.

final tips:
    - I couldn't find a jar of the right size like Thrawn used, but had a Stanley metal thermos to enlarge/form the inside magnet-wells. You'll need something ~4" in diameter, and don't worry too much about melting through the plastic box. It can take a lot of heat.
    - drilled 3 holes in each Monsoon to use the stock hold-down screws, then with a smaller bit drilled through them into the box.
    Then soldered the leads (green/black is positive, thanks again Thrawn), laid down a small bead of silicone caulk, set the speakers in place and located 2 of the screw holes with toothpicks until I got the first screw tightened down.
    - The center child-seat attachment block was a bit cocked, so couldn't use the spacer to bolt down the hook. I'll never put a child seat in the center position anyway, so just snugged it down against the cardboard speaker box cover.
    - there are two screws on the bottom/outside edge of the seat backs, just outboard of the bottom seat belt receptacles. They were a pain to remove (should have taken off the seat-belt fixtures with a 17mm socket first), and I COULD NOT get them back in on reassembly. Must have spent 30 minutes effing with them, but couldn't get them to bite in the threads. With the lower seat cushion in place the seatbacks don't move anyway, so 2 leftover screws from the job...

Took the opportunity to clean/condition all the leather, gently wipe down the mouse-hair trim with a damp microfiber cloth and dish soap (it looked ok but quite a bit of dirt came out), vacuum the car, and clean the inside of the rear glass.

For a final time, thanks to all that shared their tips/instructions, and also the heads up on the Ebay deal.

VERY happy with the sound system now

20170249_134045.jpg20170249_122821.jpg20170249_120535.jpg
    Awesome, thanks for the update. I received my monsoons on Monday. I only seem to have about an hour of free time in any given week, so this "mod" will take me a while. I did at least get the leads unsoldered last night as I had the soldering iron out for something else. My plan is to grab a DSP sub box from a wrecked 740 at the pick-n-pull, so I can do all the modifications at my leisure, otherwise id be driving around with the back seats apart for a month :-D

My Cars
    03 M3 00 740i 98 528i
    Damn this thread.......

Hahaha
    2000 740i - 149K - Dville Monsoon rear deck speaker upgrade, GROM audio Bluetooth
    1998 528i - 204K - GROM audio Bluetooth setup, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, BSW Stage One speaker kit, Facelift Xenon's with Angel Eyes
    2003 M3 - 210K - BMW Euro Cross Drilled Rotors

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    Lol!

My Cars
    03 M3 00 740i 98 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by thrawn5499 View Post
    Lol!

"Last one" lol

15 a speaker tho after shipping and brand new...can't beat it. Anymore.....
    2000 740i - 149K - Dville Monsoon rear deck speaker upgrade, GROM audio Bluetooth
    1998 528i - 204K - GROM audio Bluetooth setup, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, BSW Stage One speaker kit, Facelift Xenon's with Angel Eyes
    2003 M3 - 210K - BMW Euro Cross Drilled Rotors

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast