Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Another rear deck speaker upgrade.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurburgringer View Post
    heh, I also bought the "last set"
    Seems the seller somehow got his hands on a big quantity of NOS speakers. Saying "last set" is a sneaky but smart way of selling more
    Great marketing for sure!
    Just keeping it reliable and looking decent.

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero32;29601138[B
    ]Great marketing for sure![/B]
    yeah, i guess so. for ppl who believe it...

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Marketing scheme not needed. New monsoons for $9 delivered to my door is enough for me... The pic at the end shows the lot of speakers he has. DVILLE you should ante up on these no more junkyard time and labor...
    Last edited by purplecty; 02-16-2017 at 11:41 AM.

My Cars
    1998 740il
    While I wait for my Monsoon woofers to arrive, I had a couple questions specifically for those who have done the conversion already.

What do you find is the cleanest and easiest way to separate the speaker from mounting ring? I've seen chisel, dremel + cutoff wheel, oscillating tool , sawzall with fine tooth blade, etc. I happen to have all of these tools at my disposal, so I'd like to dive into cutting these things apart using the "experts" best methods.
    Second, its sounds like the terminals are not labeled for polarity so many are using the factory VW connectors. Those of us buying these eBay "new" monsoons, won't have that luxury. So can somebody let us know which terminal is +. I will probably solder wires directly to the internal terminals on the speaker.
    Finally, for those of you getting spare DSP speaker boxes from the junkyard (like pick-n-pull) what are they charging you for those? The Pick-N-Pull website doesn't list a price for speaker box/enclosure. I want to pick up a spare box and modify it at my leisure rather than drive around with car tore apart for a week.

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    As for removing the ring, I only tried one method. it worked well for me. as for the speaker polarity, I found pictures online of these speakers with the factory harness and wire colors on them, then found the wiring diagram for the car. Using this method I determined that the polarity is as follows. If the speaker magnet is facing you (so the speaker is upside down) the (-) terminal is on the left and the (+) terminal is on the right.

speaker.jpg
    Last edited by thrawn5499; 02-16-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    "Lead by example, follow by choice."

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Marketing scheme not needed. New monsoons for $9 delivered to my door is enough for me... The pic at the end shows the lot of speakers he has. DVILLE you should ante up on these no more junkyard time and labor...
    whrre did u get urs?

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by mooll View Post
    whrre did u get urs?
    We have all been getting them here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Four-4-Brand...RYHYJ6&vxp=mtr
    However, the price appears to have gone up from $35 for 4 to $40 for 4. I have yet to receive mine yet, but I can say the seller shipped them within an hour of placing my order. Even with the price increase $55/shipped for 4 NEW monsoons is a solid deal. You will likely pay $7-10 for used monsoons at the junkyard and have to spend the time removing the door panels and drilling rivets. Plus hunting for Jetta's + Passats with the premium Monsoon stereo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thrawn5499 View Post
    As for removing the ring, I only tried one method. it worked well for me. as for the speaker polarity, I found pictures online of these speakers with the factory harness and wire colors on them, then found the wiring diagram for the car. Using this method I determined that the polarity is as follows. If the speaker magnet is facing you (so the speaker is upside down) the (-) terminal is on the left and the (+) terminal is on the right.

speaker.jpg
    Awesome, that is exactly what I was looking for! And did the sawzal leave a pretty good flush/smooth finish to the speaker ring? I saw DVille has used many methods. I feel like the oscillating tool would perhaps give the best control. I think a cutoff wheel on the dremel would cause a lot plastic melting and then you spend a lot of time cleaning up the melted plastic "flashing"
    Last edited by BillConn; 02-16-2017 at 01:17 PM.

My Cars
    2001 750il Chrome line
    No I bought the last set! The price with shipping is up to $60, the word is out.

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by BillConn View Post
    We have all been getting them here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Four-4-Brand...RYHYJ6&vxp=mtr
    However, the price appears to have gone up from $35 for 4 to $40 for 4. I have yet to receive mine yet, but I can say the seller shipped them within an hour of placing my order. Even with the price increase $55/shipped for 4 NEW monsoons is a solid deal. You will likely pay $7-10 for used monsoons at the junkyard and have to spend the time removing the door panels and drilling rivets. Plus hunting for Jetta's + Passats with the premium Monsoon stereo.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome, that is exactly what I was looking for! And did the sawzal leave a pretty good flush/smooth finish to the speaker ring? I saw DVille has used many methods. I feel like the oscillating tool would perhaps give the best control. I think a cutoff wheel on the dremel would cause a lot plastic melting and then you spend a lot of time cleaning up the melted plastic "flashing"
    I think it did pretty good. I used a new blade and went slow. just a little touch up with a file is all i needed on 3 of them. I also very slightly angled the blade away from the front of the speaker. i figured that after it was cut off i could clean it up more if needed. I didn't need to. On the 4th speaker I tried to go too fast and it did heat the blade and cause some melting. On this speaker I not only used a file but I went over the back part with a 120v hand sander with a fine grade paper. it didn't take much more time but I should have went slower...

My Cars
    99 528i Sp, 01 740i Sp
    well, the "last set" marketing trick kind of worked on me :/
    I'm no audiophile, only spend about 1/2 an hour per day in the car and there are only 2 or 3 songs in my current 6-CD mag base-heavy enough to buzz the subwoofers, so I wasn't especially motivated to do anything about it.

But not knowing if $50 for new speakers shipped to my door was a deal that wouldn't last, plus a few Jim Beam and Coke's saturday night.... and I clicked buy

Here's the saw I plan on using to cut off the plastic surround tomorrow night: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just bought it a few weeks ago so it's still wicked sharp. Thin blade, 14 TPI pull saw should slice through the housing like butter.

Will take Thrawn's advice and use silicone caulk to seal them to the housing.
    Last edited by Nurburgringer; 02-16-2017 at 03:23 PM.

My Cars
    99 528i Sp, 01 740i Sp
    Quote Originally Posted by BillConn View Post
    However, the price appears to have gone up from $35 for 4 to $40 for 4.
    heh they're now up to $44+$15 shipping.
    Was $36+$15 when I ordered mine last weekend.

As his stock dwindles he keeps raising the price, until the last set will probably be $100 BIN.
    Pretty smart guy!

edit - just read through the entire description. I remember reading something in the auction about him having a large box but not the "assembly line left-over" part:

"These are brand new and have never been out of the crate. (Except to photograph one for this listing.) We have a large box of them. They are assembly line left-overs. They were never installed. They are first quality, not rejects. "
    Last edited by Nurburgringer; 02-16-2017 at 03:38 PM.

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    I think mine was around $36 shipped, but it is only a hour or so away from me so I got them the next day. shipping wasn't much either $5 or $6 I think.

My Cars
    99 528i Sp, 01 740i Sp
    To my knowledge you're the earliest "adopter" on BF for these, only right you should get the best deal.
    It was only after reading your posts here that I went to Ebay and searched "VW Monsoon speaker".

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    heh, I also bought the "last set"
    Seems the seller somehow got his hands on a big quantity of NOS speakers. Saying "last set" is a sneaky but smart way of selling more
    Just got mine today! thats the fastest shipping ever. Now for some prep work cutting off the plastic bracket. If I remember I'll post some pics.
    Just keeping it reliable and looking decent.

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    Cool look forward to seeing your progress.

My Cars
    1998 740il
    well, the "last set" marketing trick kind of worked on me :/
    I'm no audiophile, only spend about 1/2 an hour per day in the car and there are only 2 or 3 songs in my current 6-CD mag base-heavy enough to buzz the subwoofers, so I wasn't especially motivated to do anything about it.

But not knowing if $50 for new speakers shipped to my door was a deal that wouldn't last, plus a few Jim Beam and Coke's saturday night.... and I clicked buy

Here's the saw I plan on using to cut off the plastic surround tomorrow night: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just bought it a few weeks ago so it's still wicked sharp. Thin blade, 14 TPI pull saw should slice through the housing like butter.

Will take Thrawn's advice and use silicone caulk to seal them to the housing.
    I thought about a hacksaw as well. Very easy to control, but probably slow going...

My Cars
    E38 7er, E46 M3
    After finding out the E39 subwoofers I had were shot, I went ahead and bought a set of those Monsoons from the Ebay seller to install in the rear deck on my E38. Now, do I need the VW harness in order to make these work?

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    You can solder the new wires to the speaker, or use spade terminals if you want. I just soldered mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
    After finding out the E39 subwoofers I had were shot, I went ahead and bought a set of those Monsoons from the Ebay seller to install in the rear deck on my E38. Now, do I need the VW harness in order to make these work?
    ALL six were blown ? damn...all mine were nice.

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    i contacted spkr guy earlier in the day asking if he'd have more and he said he had just re listed them not long after i contacted him but they will not have any more...hence the price upping; that and the fact that you ppl and others bought a lot of them haha and quick. he said they are flying off the shelf. idk if true about having none left...
    ONE left now?
    Last edited by mooll; 02-16-2017 at 07:47 PM.

My Cars
    99 528i Sp, 01 740i Sp
    Has anyone put monsoons in the doors? I haven't noticed that mine are anywhere near as bad as the rear deck, but at this price... worth it?

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    Has anyone put monsoons in the doors? I haven't noticed that mine are anywhere near as bad as the rear deck, but at this price... worth it?
    its been done they need some modifications

My Cars
    99 528i Sp, 01 740i Sp
    yeah I know, but guess the stock door speakers don't typically crumble like the deck ones? Haven't seen nearly as much talk about this swap as the subs.

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    I thought about doing a swap on the door speakers too. Since mine were in good shape, and sound good I left then alone. I did buy a couple of other speakers to test for the doors, that tang band I posted pics of was one. But I did not replace any yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    yeah I know, but guess the stock door speakers don't typically crumble like the deck ones? Haven't seen nearly as much talk about this swap as the subs.
    I think its the heat exposure the rear deck gets mixed with the quality of the foam that was used... Mercedes S500 in 01 had BOSE? What does the 740 have? I have no idea...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast