Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 288

Thread: Another rear deck speaker upgrade.

  1. #251
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    70
    My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    So I used high density foam around the speakers and I am getting a rattling from the speakers. I tested them in the car without bolting down but the speakers themselves are rattling. I'm assuming that's different than chuffing, correct?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jjc034; 11-24-2018 at 12:08 PM.

  2. #252
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,090
    My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Looks good.
    Chuffing as I know it to be is the sound of air rushing through openings that it arenít supposed to be there. Cracks in the box, open screw holes, loose speaker etc.

    Make sure to test each speaker outside the box to make sure they are not damaged before installing them.

    It looks like your foam was very thick and when you screw the speakers in the speaker frames are slightly distorted or twisted. This could cause voice coil rubbing.

    You need to Troubleshoot where the rattling is coming from: box to car, speaker to box, speaker...

    Some of the boxes I would find have cracks near the bolt holes at the inner speakers due to age. Those I would seal up with hot glue.
    Last edited by dville; 11-25-2018 at 08:39 AM.

  3. #253
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    70
    My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Quote Originally Posted by dville View Post
    Looks good.
    Chuffing as I know it to be is the sound of air rushing through openings that it arenít supposed to be there. Cracks in the box, open screw holes, loose speaker etc.

    Make sure to test each speaker outside the box to make sure they are not damaged before installing them.

    It looks like your foam was very thick and when you screw the speakers in the speaker frames are slightly distorted or twisted. This could cause voice coil rubbing.

    You need to Troubleshoot where the rattling is coming from: box to car, speaker to box, speaker...

    Some of the boxes I would find have cracks near the bolt holes at the inner speakers due to age. Those I would seal up with hot glue.
    Thanks @dville. I tested the speakers before mounting and had no issues. I will remove all of the screws and see if the rattling is still there, then begin further trouble shooting.

    I loosened the screws to give the speaker a more uniform fitment around the rubber and still had the rattling. I will keep working on this one and appreciate your support!

    Thanks,
    John

  4. #254
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    70
    My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    @dville went through your photo bucket pics - did you add polyfil to your speaker cavities? If I recall correctly, I was informed to remove the foam in the middle of the speaker deck and only make the inner pockets deeper.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  5. #255
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,090
    My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    No polyfil.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My E38 Project...................DSP Rear Deck Subwoofer box with Monsoon Speakers NO longer for sale ....................................

  6. #256
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Saint Cloud, Florida
    Posts
    77
    My Cars
    98 740I 00 740IL 08 R1
    So 4 ohm monsoons in the doors is recommended also? Thinking about buying 8 and swapping all the 5.25ís out of my DSP car.

  7. #257
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,090
    My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosted96GSX View Post
    So 4 ohm monsoons in the doors is recommended also? Thinking about buying 8 and swapping all the 5.25ís out of my DSP car.
    Thatís what I did! 👍👍👍

  8. #258
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    70
    My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Quote Originally Posted by dville View Post
    Thatís what I did!
    What tweeters did you use for replacement?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  9. #259
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,090
    My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Quote Originally Posted by jjc034 View Post
    What tweeters did you use for replacement?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Did not change those.
    Only the eight 5.25Ē speakers

  10. #260
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    70
    My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Quote Originally Posted by dville View Post
    Did not change those.
    Only the eight 5.25Ē speakers
    Are they not as prone to heat and cracking?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  11. #261
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Saint Cloud, Florida
    Posts
    77
    My Cars
    98 740I 00 740IL 08 R1
    Thanks dville!

  12. #262
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,090
    My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Quote Originally Posted by jjc034 View Post
    Are they not as prone to heat and cracking?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    It’s the foam surround on the 5.25” speakers that gets damaged with age.
    The others worked fine.
    My E38 Project...................DSP Rear Deck Subwoofer box with Monsoon Speakers NO longer for sale ....................................

  13. #263
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lancaster CA
    Posts
    4,549
    My Cars
    e34, e38, e39, e46, e70
    OK Dville, and all others that have these installed, I have a question.

    About 6 months ago I did this mod on my sons e39 540i, posted here https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Deck-Speakers

    one thing I realized was that the Monsoons were not performing well in the small sealed boxes of the e39 and I drilled a hole in the boxes to let them breath, and the Monsoons came to life.

    In in the original mod here you had cut out the sub box to fit the outboard speaker, allowing the box to breath. I did the same when I did the mod on my 740iL. Sounded great. Now I want to do the same on my DINAN 7. However, now you reform the box and keep it sealed.

    Im wondering, is the box big enough to let the speakers breath ok, or does it still need a vent? Has anyone done a side by side comparison?

    My old set in the iL still works great, although one speaker may be a bit loose and crackling after all that high volume bass for about 2 yrs now.

    02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

  14. #264
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    70
    My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Quote Originally Posted by kouks View Post
    OK Dville, and all others that have these installed, I have a question.

    About 6 months ago I did this mod on my sons e39 540i, posted here https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Deck-Speakers

    one thing I realized was that the Monsoons were not performing well in the small sealed boxes of the e39 and I drilled a hole in the boxes to let them breath, and the Monsoons came to life.

    In in the original mod here you had cut out the sub box to fit the outboard speaker, allowing the box to breath. I did the same when I did the mod on my 740iL. Sounded great. Now I want to do the same on my DINAN 7. However, now you reform the box and keep it sealed.

    Im wondering, is the box big enough to let the speakers breath ok, or does it still need a vent? Has anyone done a side by side comparison?

    My old set in the iL still works great, although one speaker may be a bit loose and crackling after all that high volume bass for about 2 yrs now.
    I reformed the inner speaker cavities and removed the foam in the center, which helps them breathe a bit. Now that my new monsoons are breaking in, they sound pretty darn great. No chuffing using HDF and nice low.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  15. #265
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,090
    My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurburgringer View Post
    Bill - it's going to take you more than an hour to get a sub-box out of one at a pick-and-pull
    Iíll share a secret for removing the sub box from a junkyard car in 5 minutes:
    Remove headrests (20 second job).
    Remove c pillar trim (30 second job if they are already messed up).
    Remove speaker grilles.
    Cringe and then basically break up the cardboard rear deck trim by prying the rear of it towards the front of the car.
    Then I use a battery powered socket to unbolt the box, slide forward and unplug, then remove.
    I take the speakers out so they donít charge me for them, but I keep the screws.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by kouks View Post
    OK Dville, and all others that have these installed, I have a question.

    About 6 months ago I did this mod on my sons e39 540i, posted here https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Deck-Speakers

    one thing I realized was that the Monsoons were not performing well in the small sealed boxes of the e39 and I drilled a hole in the boxes to let them breath, and the Monsoons came to life.

    In in the original mod here you had cut out the sub box to fit the outboard speaker, allowing the box to breath. I did the same when I did the mod on my 740iL. Sounded great. Now I want to do the same on my DINAN 7. However, now you reform the box and keep it sealed.

    Im wondering, is the box big enough to let the speakers breath ok, or does it still need a vent? Has anyone done a side by side comparison?

    My old set in the iL still works great, although one speaker may be a bit loose and crackling after all that high volume bass for about 2 yrs now.
    The E38 box has a large opening in the middle under the sub box that vents into the trunk.
    Keeping the back of the speaker sealed only reduces the effective opening into the trunk.
    My E38 Project...................DSP Rear Deck Subwoofer box with Monsoon Speakers NO longer for sale ....................................

  16. #266
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lancaster CA
    Posts
    4,549
    My Cars
    e34, e38, e39, e46, e70
    Quote Originally Posted by dville View Post


    The E38 box has a large opening in the middle under the sub box that vents into the trunk.
    Keeping the back of the speaker sealed only reduces the effective opening into the trunk.
    Thats what I was looking for. The Monsoons are made as open speakers in the doors and need to breath. They use their shell to create better bass. We are basically replacing the shell with the rear deck, but they still need to breath.

    02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

  17. #267
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,090
    My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by kouks View Post
    Thats what I was looking for. The Monsoons are made as open speakers in the doors and need to breath. They use their shell to create better bass. We are basically replacing the shell with the rear deck, but they still need to breath.
    The entire door of the VW is the box.
    The speaker is sealed with foam and riveted to a metal plate in the VW with the window regulator and other stuff on it.
    The metal plate is sealed to the door opening with some gasket sealant goop.
    The windows opening are sealed with rubber seals.

    The door becomes a fairly large “box” after its all put together.

    I know this because I had a 2004 Jetta with a Monsoon system, and the doors would really thump with bass to no end.
    I was jealous of this when I got back in my E38.
    This is what started me with getting Monsoons to work in my E38.
    Last edited by dville; 12-29-2018 at 06:31 PM.
    My E38 Project...................DSP Rear Deck Subwoofer box with Monsoon Speakers NO longer for sale ....................................

  18. #268
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,090
    My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Quote Originally Posted by kouks View Post
    Thats what I was looking for. The Monsoons are made as open speakers in the doors and need to breath. They use their shell to create better bass. We are basically replacing the shell with the rear deck, but they still need to breath.
    Read your thread on the E39. Nice work.
    Same as I did, experiment until you are satisfied.
    The designers of the factory system do calculations of the volume of the box and select a speaker with specs along with a final box size that is best for the application. We don’t have that luxury, so experimenting is the low cost option.
    My E38 Project...................DSP Rear Deck Subwoofer box with Monsoon Speakers NO longer for sale ....................................

  19. #269
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    12,153
    My Cars
    98 740IL & 00 740i sport
    Just installed brand new 4ohm monsoons using the method of just expanding the middle holes not cutting and removing all of the foam in the box. Im not super impressed and expected a bit more bass. Maybe I did something wrong? Any tips to get it tuned right?

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  20. #270
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Greenville, NC
    Posts
    948
    My Cars
    99 740iL, 01 330 CiC
    I wsn't that impressed with mine, either, but I've had real subs in my cars for decades. I just got a smaller box for 2 10's and put them in the front of the trunk.

  21. #271
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    12,153
    My Cars
    98 740IL & 00 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ConvGeorge View Post
    I wsn't that impressed with mine, either, but I've had real subs in my cars for decades. I just got a smaller box for 2 10's and put them in the front of the trunk.
    That's probably why I feel the way I do as well... They definitely sounded better in my old jetta. If i open the trunk there is alot of bass going into there via the port in the box. Wish that was going into the car instead...

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by purplecty; 01-12-2019 at 09:31 PM.

  22. #272
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    12,153
    My Cars
    98 740IL & 00 740i sport
    So I found a good CD and it does in fact make a big difference for heavy bass tracks. I was basing mu feedback listening to the radio and I am pretty impreased with higher quality audio like CDs. Im hoping when I retrofit streaming a bluetooth module it will be just as good if not better...

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  23. #273
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    70
    My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Just installed brand new 4ohm monsoons using the method of just expanding the middle holes not cutting and removing all of the foam in the box. Im not super impressed and expected a bit more bass. Maybe I did something wrong? Any tips to get it tuned right?

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Wait a little for them to break in. I wasn't impressed either at first and then BOOM... crazy good bass out of those little guys.

    I'll send you my dsp settings next time I'm in Mr. Green.

    Also either use cassette adapter or Bluetooth for best fidelity.

    Thanks,
    John

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  24. #274
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hampshire UK
    Posts
    6,981
    My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    The problem with the rear speaker deck is that the bass is rolled off above 40Hz - and that means that you get very little action from them until you play a CD with prevalent sub-bass - try some Pendulum, in particular Propane Nightmares from In Silico - that will move some air!
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i


    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

    Chase - Heroes to a generation

  25. #275
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    717
    My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Timm View Post
    The problem with the rear speaker deck is that the bass is rolled off above 40Hz - and that means that you get very little action from them until you play a CD with prevalent sub-bass - try some Pendulum, in particular Propane Nightmares from In Silico - that will move some air!
    That also explains why I'm so happy with how the Monsoons play really low bass... when a song comes on where a bass note starts higher and then just drops to the bottom of the frequency range (40-20-10hz) they bring it right out. Really impressive.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Enlarging Rear Deck Speaker Holes
    By 10kken in forum Car Audio & Electronics sponsored by Bavsound
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 07:31 PM
  2. rear deck speakers for 94 325
    By joe325i in forum Car Audio & Electronics sponsored by Bavsound
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-24-2002, 10:12 PM
  3. E36 M3 Rear deck speaker help
    By havenlock in forum Car Audio & Electronics sponsored by Bavsound
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-11-2002, 12:06 PM
  4. what are my rear deck speaker options?
    By 1995red318i in forum Car Audio & Electronics sponsored by Bavsound
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-23-2002, 12:05 AM
  5. 4" rear deck speakers...how hard to replace with 6x9's?
    By Sacramento M3 in forum Car Audio & Electronics sponsored by Bavsound
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2002, 01:42 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •