Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Another rear deck speaker upgrade.

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il

Another rear deck speaker upgrade.

So after getting my factory radio working again I quickly noticed my rear deck subs were in sad shape. Reading a lot of very good information on the forums I contacted dville about getting the speaker upgrade. Now just need to save up $300 for subs. Might take a while since I have other things I need to spend the money on more. After doing some searching I found 4 of the monsoon subs 4ohm version brand new for about $30. They were close by too so cheap shipping and arrived next day.

Time to remove those plastic rings around them. After looking at them for a few minutes I decided that a reciprocating saw with a long fine tooth blade should do the trick. So I clamped them in the vice and carefully went to work.

It took about 5 minutes going slow but worked pretty good.

Just a little clean up work with a file to smooth them off.

Now when I get some time I will pull out the box and reshape the plastic. All in all pretty easy. I probably would have purchased from dville though if I had the extra money.

I also got another speaker to try out for fun. It shows a lot of potential too. It is a tangband probably won't have the bass the monsoons have but here are a few pictures compared to my stock speaker.

Here is a shot of the holes to show how close it is to lining up.

Just a few more pictures of the tangband monsoon and stock.
    I'll update more when I get the speaker box out of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by thrawn5499; 02-14-2017 at 03:42 PM.
    "Lead by example, follow by choice."

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Most of my cost is for labor.
    Getting bitten by mosquitos at the junkyard getting parts.
    Testing and Preparing speakers
    Preparing sub boxes.
    Sealing, testing, packing, shipping.
    Won't be doing that for peanuts

e38.weebly.com

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    Nor should you! I think $300 is a great deal for what you do. I would have kept saving money if not for finding these speakers for $7 each new. If I waited to buy yours it would have been end of this year or next year some time. I just have too much things I need to do before spending anymore on car audio. Funny since I used to be in spl competitions when I was in my teens. Spent thousands back then.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 750iL
    How can you tell if a speaker is a monsoon instead of a standard speaker from a Jetta? Any special part numbering?

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    Quote Originally Posted by M73PWR View Post
    How can you tell if a speaker is a monsoon instead of a standard speaker from a Jetta? Any special part numbering?
    Look at the OP's pics 2-4. It shows the part number along with ohm rating needed.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by PiotrC70 View Post
    Look at the OP's pics 2-4. It shows the part number along with ohm rating needed.
    Thank you!!

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    Ok so the weather is nice here today and I had a couple of hours to kill, so I decided to see how far i could get in reforming my speaker box. Turns out a lot further then I thought. I got the box out, and reformed.

For me I only had to reform one speaker cavity on each side. I did this with a heat gun and once the plastic was warm enough to form I pressed a glass jar in it that was a little bigger diameter than the speaker magnet.

Why a glass jar? It was handy the right size and shape. The speakers fit nicely now. Tonight I am going to try to get the speakers hooked up, and everything sealed up. Big thanks to dville for the idea of reforming the speaker box instead of cutting it. Not sure I would have thought to do that. Also thanks for all the help he has been in documenting the upgrade. I definitely would never have thought to do this without the people like him that post their great success here to help others! I'll post another update after the speakers are installed

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    So the hardest part of this process so far is sealing the box. Going on my 3rd time sealing around the speakers. As soon as the hot glue sets up I will hook it back up and see if I got all the air holes. This part alone is worth dville's price in my opinion. If I could start over again I think I would use a silicone type caulk under the speakers to make sure they were sealed good. Might still hot glue around them, but not under them like I did. I might even go back and redo them if I don't get them sealed this time.
    Here is the ton of hot glue around the speakers not pretty, but this is the 3rd time applying, so trying to make sure I got it all.

My Cars
    E38 7er, E46 M3
    E39 rear deck subs are just as good as these Monsoons and are plug and play.

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    That's good to know. These are finally sealed. I guess 3rd times the charm. Sounds so much better than it did before. Of course as bad as the speakers where anything would sound better.

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Nice work.
    I used to cut the inner speaker cavity and another user brought up the idea of the Heat gun, so we all learn from each other and get better.

e38.weebly.com

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    I use hot glue (not as much as you lol) and drill new screw holes and tighten then speakers down before the glue hardens.

e38.weebly.com

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    It's a process I have down now after doing 25 of them so far.

e38.weebly.com

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
    E39 rear deck subs are just as good as these Monsoons and are plug and play.
    really?
    this is interesting im parting a 540 imma see if this is true

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    Ok everything is back in the car. It sounds pretty good. Can't tell yet since my CD changer is missing the magazine. So only radio. And I have not heard any songs that I wanted to crank up. I miss streaming from my phone already lol.
    Man 25 is a lot of units to do. I wouldn't really want to do this again. It wasn't real hard, or even expensive. Just a lot of work for factory subs and amp. If I do it again I will put in some real subs. This is nice since it takes no space though. I don't think it sounds as good as our Acadia factory system.
    The best factory system I have heard was in my clk500. It really has deep low bass. I have heard aftermarket subs that didn't hit as hard or low.

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    I can tell you that radio does it no justice.
    The range of CD or streaming Bluetooth really is a world of difference.

e38.weebly.com

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    That's good to hear. Now I need to find a magazine for my cd changer. I am going to add the grom tb3 unit sometime, but I want to find a cheap solution until then

My Cars
    99 528i Sp, 01 740i Sp
    Thanks to the OP for motivating me to remedy the blown out subs in my '01 740.
    Over the weekend I ordered 4 new Monsoon speakers off Ebay for $50 shipped (seller "replacementradios"). They should be here by the end of the week, and the plan is get them cut up Friday night and then tear into the rear deck Saturday.

I appreciate the tips&tricks for this fix posted by all, especially dville.

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Crazy nice price on new speakers !!!

I have posts of people selling used ones for $50 each

Nice sharing.

e38.weebly.com

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by mooll View Post
    really?
    this is interesting im parting a 540 imma see if this is true
    i pulled 6 spkrs out of the 540 and they are all 5.25" and bolt right up to the e38. the 2 subs that are in the rear dsp deck of the 540 will need slight easy modifications to the wiring to be plug and play. my e38 sounds amazing now with dual 12's in the trunk and now SIX 5.25" woofers in addition to the 2 6.5" front door woofers...
    Last edited by mooll; 02-14-2017 at 12:29 PM.

My Cars
    1998 740il

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Nurburgringer View Post
    Over the weekend I ordered 4 new Monsoon speakers off Ebay for $50 shipped (seller "replacementradios"). They should be here by the end of the week, and the plan is get them cut up Friday night and then tear into the rear deck Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by dville View Post
    Crazy nice price on new speakers !!!

I have posts of people selling used ones for $50 each

Nice sharing.

e38.weebly.com
    Nurburgringer,
    I saw those last night too, after reading the several posts regarding these monsoons. I was all set to head to the local pick-n-pull that had about 18 jettas and 15 passats... but I saw those ebay sets of 4 for $50, it was too good to pass up. I think I bought the last set of 4 available from that seller. Pick-N-Pull wants $7.99 for a "large" speaker and if you get the wrong counter-jockey, I think the price can be as high as $15 if they call them "high-end" speakers.
    I look forward to making the upgrade.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurburgringer View Post

Same place i got mine

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    buy my intravee II and it gives you and option to add Alpine cd changer and 2 aux imputs and add the I phone to play thru and control with oem system.
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Just bought the last pair from replacementradios shop on Ebay. $50 shipped is to good to pass up on.
    Just keeping it reliable and looking decent.

My Cars
    99 528i Sp, 01 740i Sp
    heh, I also bought the "last set"
    Seems the seller somehow got his hands on a big quantity of NOS speakers. Saying "last set" is a sneaky but smart way of selling more

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast