Thread: 328i Turbo issues - should I buy one?

My Cars
    2003 530i

328i Turbo issues - should I buy one?

Hello. I have owned a 2000 528i, bought new, and a 2003 530i, bought slightly used. I still have the 2003. Both have been great cars. My daughter wants to buy a used 328i. I've found several seemingly good buys on autotrader. Low mileage - under 30K miles. All are turbos. I'm wondering if the 328i comes without a turbo? And, if not, have many of you had any issues with the turbo? I'm just wondering why someone would sell a 3 or 4 year old car with 24K miles on it if it wasn't having issues. Any suggestions? She wants a white 328i with the cream interior. you can replay here or email me at dmcdlj at gmail.com. Thanks

My Cars
    All new (2012+) 328 are turbo ... All new BMW are turbos as well
    No issues, new BMW turbos are very reliable

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    ^Quite a statement about reliability there. Especially for a long-term owner of M50-based engines, I fear dmcdlj may be in for a rude awakening with an N20 car (at least compared to older BMWs).

Both the M52 and M54 (528 and 530 respectively) have proven themselves to be 250k+ motors with proper car and no overheating, and there are simply far less failure points on those older, NA engines than modern BMW turbos. Obviously, I bought an N20 (320, basically the same engine as the '12+ 328i with less aggressive tune and smaller exhaust), so I still think they are great buys. This is a commuter for me, and who doesn't love a tight, Sport Package BMW average 31+ mpg on a mixed commute? The 320 is a less-featured, less-boosted 328 that will be plenty fast for commuting, if that is an option. But I also have/have had much faster cars, so this car doesn't need to check many boxes for me in the performance category.

I would recommend a warranty, whether a CPO car or aftermarket warranty. That or teach your daughter to be very vigilant of the unique BMW problem signs, such as running low on oil, overheating, etc. An M50-based E39 will need some routine maintenance every 30-40k miles, and oil changes, and they last forever. Ignoring a new, turbo BMW is dangerous. The main reason I recommend the power train warranty in pre-'15 328s is the timing chain guide failures that are cropping up (in very small numbers--and this is rectified in 2015 and newer models), but also all of the F30 BMWs can have electronic problems that will make you REALLY want a warranty. I'm buddies with a couple BMW dealer service advisers, and they are all wholeheartedly begging me to at least invest in a warranty of some sort covering electronics, as ~90% of the cars that come in for non-routine service are having electronic issues with the HVAC, nav/radio/iTunes, etc. Usually these issues won't strand the car, but the diagnosis and fix can run into the four digits fast.

To answer your "why are they selling" question: Generally speaking, many new BMW buyers are leasers; or financers, and in either case, they typically upgrade as soon as possible to the newest model year, which largely drives the yuuuuge 2-3 year depreciation you get on new BMWs. This makes the early F30s, 2012-2014 or so, good buys right now IMHO.

Keep in mind these cars come with a 50k mile/4 year unlimited warranty, whichever comes first, so if you can get one with warranty remaining, even better.

Also keep in mind that the '07-'11 328i was still a non-turbo, with a fairly reliable, all aluminum straight 6 more inline (pun) with your 5 series engines.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    '04 M3 and '06 MC ZCP
    I've noticed this too. The 328i had a fairly lower selling price than the 335i (the car that I own) and the value of my car right now is half of what it used to be. I did purchase the car used at $37k with warranty, but for under $30k, that's where I've been seeing some around where I'm at. Now, the amount of options and packages on the car will also affect the price of the car, so if you want a fully loaded 328i, you might spend more than a base model 328i. To be completely honest, it's nice to have the heads up display and the navigation in the car, just in case but it's not really necessary if it's going to be a commuter vehicle short distances. Anyways, the 3 series is nice (but I really don't like the fly-by wire throttle system, I like the more fuel injected cars) and I love this car. This is obvious, but I'd always get a second opinion whenever buying a car. Good luck car shopping!

My Cars
    2016 Audi A4, BMW
    I believe that they are very reliable.. I could not believe in my eyes when I saw https://dsrleasing.com/.. I found here amazing deals on many vehicles.

My Cars
    '14 328xi Sport Line
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcdlj View Post
    Hello. I have owned a 2000 528i, bought new, and a 2003 530i, bought slightly used. I still have the 2003. Both have been great cars. My daughter wants to buy a used 328i. I've found several seemingly good buys on autotrader. Low mileage - under 30K miles. All are turbos. I'm wondering if the 328i comes without a turbo? And, if not, have many of you had any issues with the turbo? I'm just wondering why someone would sell a 3 or 4 year old car with 24K miles on it if it wasn't having issues. Any suggestions? She wants a white 328i with the cream interior. you can replay here or email me at dmcdlj at gmail.com. Thanks
    All current BMW gas and diesel powered 4 and 6 cylinder engines are turbos. Turbo engines aren't like they were in the 80s; they are now reliable and will last a long time.
    You are wondering why you are seeing 3-4 year old cars for sale? Have you heard of leasing? The CPO market came into being because of the creation of auto leasing, and low mileage off-lease market. That aside, sometimes people just get tired of their cars after 3-4 years, and want the latest and greatest. I wouldn't worry.
    Last edited by tex2670; 02-23-2017 at 08:35 AM.
    2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Shift Paddles

My Cars
    2014 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcdlj View Post
    I just bought a 2014BMW two weeks ago.

The Dealer Showed me the Car Fax and on it was the information that the car was leased.

The 2014 BMW is a sweet spot right now because the normal lease is 3 years and the Warranty from BMW is 4 years or 50k Miles. So many Low mileage vehicles are available with Factory Warranty and a super discount.

My car had 23k miles on it and 11 months of warranty left. This has made me very comfortable about buying the vehicle.
    With Moon Roof and Grey Color and parking package then Car retailed in 2014 at
    $40,500.00. Probably it was picked up on lease at around $33000 + 4k. I paid $19,700.00.Man did someone take a hit!

I suggest that you get a AutoCheck or I think it’s called Carfax on the vehicle that you purchase. IMHO If there is warranty left you can buy for less from a regular dealer. No need for CPO it adds a lot to the price.
    The nice thing about buying a off lease car is that usually the owner is getting rid of it because the lease is over and it’s less likely to be a lemon.
    Last edited by TwoThumber; 06-02-2017 at 09:50 PM.

My Cars
    Honda S2000, VW Jetta TD
    seeing that you have a daughter of car buying age, I'm guessing that you're an older guy like me.

Being a car nut for 50+ years, I'm of the "no replacement for displacement" demographic. Turbos were a method of forcing excessive pressure into conventional motor not designed for it. Boost in power in an overstressed engine not good in for very long. In the late 80s/early 90s, there were Turbo Tbirds and Firebirds - junk.

Totally different today. BMW and every other manufacturer designs these engines from a clean sheet of paper to handle boost with the turbo in an integrated package.

I'm still coming to grips with a 2.0 liter powering the largest Caddy, but it works.

I drive the middle route with my 335i, 3 liters/turbo

There is a replacement for displacement
    Last edited by gerry1000; 06-06-2017 at 11:53 AM.

My Cars
    '14 328xi Sport Line
    Quote Originally Posted by gerry1000 View Post
    seeing that you have a daughter of car buying age, I'm guessing that you're an older guy like me.

Being a car nut for 50+ years, I'm of the "no replacement for displacement" demographic. Turbos were a method of forcing excessive pressure into conventional motor not designed for it. Boost in power in an overstressed engine not good in for very long. In the late 80s/early 90s, there were Turbo Tbirds and Firebirds - junk.

Totally different today. BMW and every other manufacturer designs these engines from a clean sheet of paper to handle boost with the turbo in an integrated package.

I'm still coming to grips with a 2.0 liter powering the largest Caddy, but it works.

I drive the middle route with my 335i, 3 liters/turbo

There is a replacement for displacement
    There is truth to this. My 2.0T 328 has way more power than my 5.0L V8 did in the 80s.
    2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Shift Paddles

My Cars
    20 BMW 230i Coupe
    BMW is replacing my 328i turbo on what they're calling Extended Warranty. The car would smoke after sitting overnight on first start up. Problem kept getting worse. Come to find out it's a known problem.