Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FelPro gaskets, thanks Wagons Ho..The surgery has started

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Jimlev, good plan! Repinning the Bosch connectors in 90s to early 2000 era Ferraris is a common exercise to fix phantom or unexplained Check Engine lights. It can also resolve poor running and rough idle issues. Kits are sold with all the various pins (upgraded with greater tension and gold plating) along with replacement silicone boots (better withstanding engine heat) and the tools to depin the connectors, as well as the double crimp tool. (It helps to clean the new, stripped wire with contact cleaner spray and a small wire brush to enhance the connection before crimping.) The female end of Bosch junior timer connectors do not have a very high cycle life. IIRC Bosch claims only 12 to 15 cycles before the female side can start to loose clamping/contact pressure on the male pin.

Took me several nights to do my previous F355 spider...including the Motronic connector. Took lots of pictures and wrote down wire colors to ensure I assembled each connector back correctly. Started on the first try.
    Last edited by f355spider; 02-17-2017 at 07:57 PM.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I've purchased all of the parts from BMW and have the correct AMP crimp tool. Thanks for the info about using a cleaner.
    I've directly connected a PWM supply to the TB motor which shows it works fine, the pedal pot has been replaced so everything points to wiring.

My Cars
    E39 540I
    Quote Originally Posted by f355spider View Post
    Jimlev, good plan! Repinning the Bosch connectors in 90s to early 2000 era Ferraris is a common exercise to fix phantom or unexplained Check Engine lights. It can also resolve poor running and rough idle issues. Kits are sold with all the various pins (upgraded with greater tension and gold plating) along with replacement silicone boots (better withstanding engine heat) and the tools to depin the connectors, as well as the double crimp tool. (It helps to clean the new, stripped wire with contact cleaner spray and a small wire brush to enhance the connection before crimping.) The female end of Bosch junior timer connectors do not have a very high cycle life. IIRC Bosch claims only 12 to 15 cycles before the female side can start to loose clamping/contact pressure on the male pin.

Took me several nights to do my previous F355 spider...including the Motronic connector. Took lots of pictures and wrote down wire colors to ensure I assembled each connector back correctly. Started on the first try.
    Any links to these kits, also do you replace the protective sleeve' for the harness, mine are hard plastic

Nice work as always Jim

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    It wasn't a kit, I just purchased all the individual parts.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by E39540V8 View Post
    Any links to these kits, also do you replace the protective sleeve' for the harness, mine are hard plastic

Nice work as always Jim
    Scuderia Rampante.com The kits are designed for Ferraris and priced accordingly. But they may sell you the pins and boots separately if you wanted them..they are a top notch product. Their kits include pins and boots for every connector...even the O2 sensors. http://scuderiarampante.com/sri-gold-connector-kit/ Kits includes all parts, tools and instructions...but again, ask, they may sell individual parts to handle your needs.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    1987 325is 2000 530iT/5
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    I've got new connectors, pins, and wire so I'm fine on replacing them.
    Thats the right way to do it!

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    I realize you keep all components in great shape, so the following question is likely to have "no" as the answer, but could the oil be coming from either the CCV or the pipe from the CCV to the OSV?
    '03 540i-6
    153k mi; bought April ‘07 w/38k mi
    Silv/Blk, CWP, UUC SSK w/DSSR, M5 diff, JBR LW FW, SPEC Stage 2 clutch, Zionsville w/2-stage fan, coolant hoses, M60 intake manifold, motor-out overhaul (powder-coated VCs, TCGs, valley pan, coolant mani, head gaskets, heads refurb, all other gaskets, seals), Beisan vanos, PS pump & hoses, AC comp, fuel pump & filter, washer hoses, 88-degree thermo, DUDMD tune, Vibrant Racing muffler, Zeck CDV, Brembo solid-disc rotors w/ Textron pads & UUC SS brake lines, Dinan springs w/Koni Yellow shocks/struts, M5 front & rear sway bars, H&R 10mm spacers & studs front & rear, Pilot Sport A/S 3s, headlight adj repair, polished headlight lenses, 6k Umnitza Xenon & AE bulbs, new OEM M-Sport bumpers, gauge rings, permanent seat-twist repair to front seats, ZHP shift knob, M5 headliner kit (reinforced A-pillar clips), Schmiedmann pedals, MID & cluster pixel repair, Bavsound Stage 1 speaker upgrade & dedicated amp w/DSP subwoofers, retrofitted cupholder

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    No, those parts were OK. I did have an oil catch can connected between the OSV and the CCV, didn't have any oil leaks there. I did seem to have more oil around the intake manifold gaskets than I've ever seen before. They could have been leaking oil that is inside the manifold. I'll be checking the crankcase vacuum level when I get in back together.
    I removed the catch can and all of the extra hoses that connected it.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    They could have been leaking oil that is inside the manifold.
    Are you referring to PCV style oil in the intake manifold here Jim? Very interesting if that could be true with an additional catch can in the system...

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    If the CCV vacuum level is way to high it could be pulling in too much oil vapors. I replaced the OSV in 2014 when I did the guides.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Even "dirty", looks so good.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Mechanically it's mostly back together. Started working on the wiring today, hope to finish that part tomorrow.
    The sleeving on the TB, MAF, and Dual temp sensor cables are brittle and broken in many places.
    Looks terrible so that is also getting replaced.

OilLeak8.JPG

OilLeak9.JPG

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    So clean Jim! I need to leave my car at your house for some much needed tidying up.

So your plan is to drive a bit and look for oil?
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    So clean Jim! I need to leave my car at your house for some much needed tidying up.

So your plan is to drive a bit and look for oil?
    Right, will pull the intake off as soon as I see some oil.

Just leave your car here after you get a new clutch put in it and with a good set of rear meats......some good twisties around here with no houses for miles.
    Headed back into the garage after dinner, the wiring is done.
    Need to put the DME back in, air ducts, cabin air filters, and clean some oil off the bottom side of the engine.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Just bought a new clutch. Gulp.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    What clutch did you get? My stock clutch is still holding, got about 50K on it now. I did do a small mod to the pressure plate so it would clamp with a little bit more pressure.

Finished putting my car back together and cleaned up all of the oil that was on the under side.
    Gave it a wash and shammy dry then took it for a 40 mile cruise, no sign of oil leaking out the top side yet.
    If I get another Failsafe Engine Program I'm probably going to buy a new ($$$) pedal potentiometer.

Just realized my car had a b-day 2 weeks ago, 17 yrs old.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    I got the UUC twin disk on presidents sale. I'm hoping for the best. My clutch was good until hwy pulls this winter. The cold ups the power. I saw the tach rising faster than speedo.

I hope your oil seepage is easy to find and fix. Also be interesting to know if your rewiring solves the DBW faults. Lots of TU guys seem to get that issue. How much is the pedal pot assy?

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Twin disc should hold up to your insane power levels.
    The DME does too much checking between the throttle pot and TB, compares the pot voltages on both parts, the current the TB motor uses, and how fast the TB responds.
    So far the best deal on a new OE Bosch pedal pot is $300.
    There's a Tech Session at Sandia BMW tomorrow night, I'll see what they want.

- - - Updated - - -

Just finished checking my crankcase vacuum.
    It's always been around 3.4" water column, today it was 5", still within spec which is 3-6".
    Don't know if the headers had anything to do with the increase, didn't have them the last time I checked it.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Welcome to the forum Joan.
    Which process/replacement are you asking about?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Did you ever determine where the leak was?

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    No I didn’t, after I put it all back together it‘s been fine.
    I should have done what you mentioned in your deleted post, LOL.

One positive thing is that my constant Engine Failsafe Program has been gone since I rewired the throttle body. Also did the MAF and dual temp sensor at the same time.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    No I didn’t, after I put it all back together it‘s been fine.
    I should have done what you mentioned in your deleted post, LOL.

One positive thing is that my constant Engine Failsafe Program has been gone since I rewired the throttle body. Also did the MAF and dual temp sensor at the same time.
    It looked like a lady had joined the thread so in a rare moment of discretion...

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    It looked like a lady had joined the thread so in a rare moment of discretion...
    Good move Ross.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12