Thread: F10 535i charge pipe

My Cars
    2012 BMW 535i

F10 535i charge pipe

Looking into getting the BMS intake for my 535i and I'm wondering if a charge pipe would make a noticeable difference as well in either performance or better sound paired with the intake?

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    It would add a mild gain, but an exhaust system would really bring out the performance and sound even more Let us know if we can be of help.

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    I would not recommend the BMS intake for our cars, look into the AFE intake instead which actually seals the cone filter in a replacement air box and is entirely ducted for fresh air intake only.

An upgraded alloy charge pipe provides peace of mind, not so much performance. There are more restrictive places in the charge tract than the charge pipe.

The upgraded charge pipes are to prevent boost related failures where the plastic weld seam fails under boost, splitting apart and causing a major boost leak.

Exhaust systems (outside a catless downpipe) should be considered at the value of sound/tone only, as they don't offer any notable increase of power.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    2012 BMW 535i
    Thanks guys. Not really sure about spending double the price for the AFE, especially when those gains they claim seem really unrealistic for an intake system. I've always just added aftermarket intake mostly for the sound and the AFE being enclosed seems like it would do nothing for increasing the turbo sound.

I've just been reading that a charge pipe further increases turbo spool sound but wasn't sure since manufacturers claim all kinds of things.

Also doesn't seem to make much sense spending $1500-$3000 for an exhaust system for minimal gains. Maybe if it was a 550i but I don't like the sound of loud V6 exhaust.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    The AFE intake certainly increased the audible spool sound in cabin on my car. Power gains shown are dyno'd and mostly made under the curve, not to peak. Whatever gains it does make are great.... It also is a true cold air intake. The BMS intake is just a filter placed on top of the engine and subject to the full brunt of the hot air pouring over it. Open your hood after a 20 minute drive and stick your face in there. It gets seering hot.

Charge pipe makes zilch for sound difference. Again just to prevent a breakage of the stock part under increased boost as the stock part already breaks at stock boost!

The factory BMW MPerformance exhaust system is the best bang for the buck system out there at around $1200. It saves a good deal of weight, sounds great, and looks awesome. You can see some pictures of it here: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1284877

BMW has never manufactured a V6, and an Inline 6 doesn't sound like a V6.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    2012 BMW 535i
    I'll check out the M exhaust. And yeah that's what I meant to say haha, the i6 with open pipes (DP+exhaust) never sounded that great to me but I do like the sound of the Mperformance exh. Would eventually like to upgrade to the 550i and run straight pipes but I've heard those engines have way more issues.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveAreno View Post
    Looking into getting the BMS intake for my 535i and I'm wondering if a charge pipe would make a noticeable difference as well in either performance or better sound paired with the intake?
    Chargepipe does not add performance or sound, only reliability

Order link for the intake
    https://www.x-ph.com/bms-f10-n55-intake/