Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other neat cars/projects you are involved with?

My Cars
    hiss by my window

Other neat cars/projects you are involved with?

I've recently been tapped to do some mechanical restoration of an interesting older car, a Jensen Interceptor Mk. III.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jensen_Interceptor
    Being a fan of orphan exotics I'm excited to be working on it. It has a 440 Cryzzlur, as Clarkson would say, so will be adding some extra oomph.
    What cool stuff are you other guys working on?
    Last edited by ross1; 02-06-2017 at 10:05 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    I always thought those Jensen's were really cool cars. American big block power with a refined euro chassis, best of both worlds. Very cool. What kind of work will you be doing on her? Post some pics when the time comes, id love to see it.

I'm currently working on a turbo M3 build, and a 1972 olds cutlass that's been on the back burner for too long. Moving it to the front burner when the turbo is done. I'm really hoping to blow the dust off on my dad's 1967 lotus elan this summer too.
    "**if you suck at driving, it certainly could put you into a curb. Don't suck."

My Cars
    E46M3, S52T E30, E21T
    I've been building my e21 for about two years now. Started as a clean, all stock non-running 320is. It's finally becoming something. Now a fully forged 2.1l, cammed, megasquirted, turbocharged, e28 M5 subframes underneath it, group 2 bodywork, etc etc... hopefully I get to tune on it this week. Waiting on some parts right now so I'm sitting still until they arrive. Hoping for about 400chp. She weighed in at 2190lbs.

Pics from front to back here:https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-a-new-project

CURRENT:
    Racecar: '81 e21 320i Group2. GT28 @ 25psi, MS2, e28 M5 suspension/brakes underneath, forged, cammed, 400bhp, 2190lbs, etc, etc...
    Daily: '95 e34 540/6. DUDMD tuned, vogtland/koni, Schnitzers, other minor touches.
    Project: '94 525iT. S50 swapped, supercharger in the works, manual swapped, Airlift supsension, Mpars, Brembo's, clean machine.
    New daily: e60 530i sport package. Stock.

My Cars
    2016 640i, 1990 535iM
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerwillrbnsn View Post
    I've been building my e21 for about two years now. Started as a clean, all stock non-running 320is. It's finally becoming something. Now a fully forged 2.1l, cammed, megasquirted, turbocharged, e28 M5 subframes underneath it, group 2 bodywork, etc etc... hopefully I get to tune on it this week. Waiting on some parts right now so I'm sitting still until they arrive. Hoping for about 400chp. She weighed in at 2190lbs.

Pics from front to back here:https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-a-new-project

HOLY MOLY that looks beautiful!
    2016 640i Coupe'
    1990 Bmw 535i Turbo 600whp

1999 740iL: Sold
    1997 740i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 535i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 528e: Crashed and parted
    IG- @Rogetta_Stone

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335i Convertibl
    Built this for 8 years and sold it recently to buy my 335i.

CCC16.jpg
    Look! Before our very eyes, the future is becoming the past.

I have a chevelle i need to start. :/
    Herr, wirf Hirn vom Himmel! ... oder Steine, Hauptsache er trifft.

88 Alpineweiss / black E30 M3 -Project.
    Brilliantrot / black US SPEC 3/90 prod e34 M30b35 535i 5spd - Modded.
    98.5 Tiag Silber /black e36 m3 - Modded.
    99.5 Estoril Blau /dove e36 m3 - Modded.
    07 Crimsonrot /black E83 X3 6spd - Stock..

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by mboor View Post
    I always thought those Jensen's were really cool cars. American big block power with a refined euro chassis, best of both worlds. Very cool. What kind of work will you be doing on her? Post some pics when the time comes, id love to see it.

I'm currently working on a turbo M3 build, and a 1972 olds cutlass that's been on the back burner for too long. Moving it to the front burner when the turbo is done. I'm really hoping to blow the dust off on my dad's 1967 lotus elan this summer too.
    The Interceptor IS a neat car, but being a cottage built British car it hasn't fared well over time. I need to read up about them a bit. Front suspension looks to be Jag, leaf sprung live rear axle from ?? It's a big heavy tourer but certainly has lots more balls than most of it's contemporaries. Owner wants a high stall torque converter behind the 440 with a dyno sheet that purports near 500 hp. Don't think he has grand touring in mind.
    I'll be inspecting the engine built by others long ago then installing it along with the rest of the drive train and whatever else is(or isn't) in a bunch of boxes.
    I'm hoping the engine wasn't assembled by the same builder as the last project this guy provided me as the last one had "issues". That project was a GM A body of the same generation as your Cutlass. Those cars are really, really nice drivers, they do everything pretty well and are simple a brick. I have a big soft spot in my heart for them.

Don't blow too hard on the Lotus, just kidding.
    Last edited by ross1; 02-06-2017 at 05:58 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    91 535i
    Steve
    91 535i
    08 X3
    05 X3
    86 930
    73 TR6

My Cars
    E46M3, S52T E30, E21T
    Quote Originally Posted by E38740iMD View Post
    Thanks!
    CURRENT:
    Racecar: '81 e21 320i Group2. GT28 @ 25psi, MS2, e28 M5 suspension/brakes underneath, forged, cammed, 400bhp, 2190lbs, etc, etc...
    Daily: '95 e34 540/6. DUDMD tuned, vogtland/koni, Schnitzers, other minor touches.
    Project: '94 525iT. S50 swapped, supercharger in the works, manual swapped, Airlift supsension, Mpars, Brembo's, clean machine.
    New daily: e60 530i sport package. Stock.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by E38740iMD View Post
    Better yet, it looks like it is a barrel of monkeys to drive. I'd be beating that thing like rented mule!

My Cars
    E34 (Msport)|DB2 (GSR)
    1992 Acura Integra (GSR). Yes, one of those Hondas. Actually quite rare, they only produced +/- 5000 units for the GSR model. My main project car. Building it for track purposes. Far from finished, but progress is steady. Future plans include more aerodynamics, beefer wheels/tires, custom wiring (switch panel/standalone ecu/aftermarket gauges). Future, future plans include a full rollcage, weight reduction (tar removal), and possible stitch/seam weld the chassis.

My Cars
    01 M5, 93 M5, 94 525iT
    In 2012 I picked up a 2004 Ford F- 150 SVT Lightning. At the time I'd driven one that a buddy of mine bought new in 2001 and had for a few years. When I started looking for a truck I wasn't really in the market for any particular brand but I wanted a V-8 and a manual transmission. I had no idea that combination was all but eliminated in the mid-nineties. The only thing close to that was the Dodge SRT-10 single cab, but they were still commanding the about $25K. I figured if I was most likely going to have to get a truck with an auto, it might as well be fast. I managed to pick up the Lightning for $13k. I ended up going with a full Hotchkis suspension along with replacing all of the suspension bushings. I also had the factory Eaton supercharger and intake plenum ported and added an aFe intake. It's actually been a great vehicle and nothing beats a screaming supercharger at WOT.
    Tommy L.

(
    oOO \ (IIII) (IIII) / OOo)

-o- (##########) -o-

2001 BMW M5 LMB
    LHD Euro
    Bilstein PSS, Black Kidneys, Dinan Rear Anti-sway Bar, Matte Black Style 65, UUC SSK w/DSSR, Alpine iLX-007, Alpine MRV-F 340 Amp, Boston Acoustics Pro components, Alpine MRP-M450 Amp, Infinity Kappa 102.7W Sub x2

Current Garage:

1993 BMW M5
    1994 BMW 525i Touring 5spd
    2004 Ford SVT Lightning

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    [QUOTE=uses0ap;29590377]1992 Acura Integra (GSR). Yes, one of those Hondas. Actually quite rare, they only produced +/- 5000 units for the GSR model. My main project car. Building it for track purposes. Far from finished, but progress is steady. Future plans include more aerodynamics, beefer wheels/tires, custom wiring (switch panel/standalone ecu/aftermarket gauges). Future, future plans include a full rollcage, weight reduction (tar removal), and possible stitch/seam weld the chassis.

Nice to see a "rice burner" who's form follows function rather than some cartoon version of a race car.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin025 View Post
    In 2012 I picked up a 2004 Ford F- 150 SVT Lightning. At the time I'd driven one that a buddy of mine bought new in 2001 and had for a few years. When I started looking for a truck I wasn't really in the market for any particular brand but I wanted a V-8 and a manual transmission. I had no idea that combination was all but eliminated in the mid-nineties. The only thing close to that was the Dodge SRT-10 single cab, but they were still commanding the about $25K. I figured if I was most likely going to have to get a truck with an auto, it might as well be fast. I managed to pick up the Lightning for $13k. I ended up going with a full Hotchkis suspension along with replacing all of the suspension bushings. I also had the factory Eaton supercharger and intake plenum ported and added an aFe intake. It's actually been a great vehicle and nothing beats a screaming supercharger at WOT.
    Any problem keeping head gaskets in it?
    My mailman is a gearhead so we always chat. His son drag races a Lightning and is constantly lifting the head off it, I suspect he has the boost dialed a bit though. If so any suggestions I could offer him?

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    The Interceptor IS a neat car, but being a cottage built British car it hasn't fared well over time. I need to read up about them a bit. Front suspension looks to be Jag, leaf sprung live rear axle from ?? It's a big heavy tourer but certainly has lots more balls than most of it's contemporaries. Owner wants a high stall torque converter behind the 440 with a dyno sheet that purports near 500 hp. Don't think he has grand touring in mind.
    I'll be inspecting the engine built by others long ago then installing it along with the rest of the drive train and whatever else is(or isn't) in a bunch of boxes.
    I'm hoping the engine wasn't assembled by the same builder as the last project this guy provided me as the last one had "issues". That project was a GM A body of the same generation as your Cutlass. Those cars are really, really nice drivers, they do everything pretty well and are simple a brick. I have a big soft spot in my heart for them.

Don't blow too hard on the Lotus, just kidding.
    There a special place in my heart also for the GM A body. My Cutlass was my first "cool" car, bought for a song when i was 19. I drove it for a few years, delivered pizza in it, gave it a paint job (my first paint job) then build a 455 (my first engine build). Then added posi and gears, then the frame came out for boxing/reinforcing, a 4 wheel disc brake upgrade, and some other goodies, the engine was disassembled for new rings / bearings after 30K hard miles. I drove the car about 10K miles in this form, then i got bit by the BMW bug and its been sitting neglected ever since. I learned a lot with this car, and it's been the one physical (and emotional) possession i have that has outlasted everything other one. I plan to be buried in this car one day My plans for it this time around include another paint job, custom interior, full hotchkis treatment, and a T56, all done with a modern pro touring theme. I just have to stop spending all my $$$$ on BMW's first.

I don't even look hard at the Lotus. She's a delicate one.
    "**if you suck at driving, it certainly could put you into a curb. Don't suck."

My Cars
    e23, e32, e34, e39
    I attempted to get the RUSTY bolts out of my sons 94 Accord yesterday to see if I can fix his rack and pinion rusted hard lines. Broke one bolt so far..... Does that count??

I think I've talked him into driving my rusty 95 525i- he's learning how to manual shift. I hope I don't create a BMW monster out him- my other 4 haven't caught the bug- thank God.

My Cars
    325e 535i M5 325iT 330i
    Got an XJ-S I've been completely through - runs great, is a terrific grand tourer but needs a paint job. Triumph TR-8 awaiting a steering rack rebuild - the rebuild is easy enough but you've got to take the car halfway apart to get it out - K-frame has to be dropped to get access. Not a great amount of power, but it's a nice torquey little V-8 coupled to a 5-speed, and boy, does it sound sweet! An E-type coupe on the back burner awaiting a full restoration. It's a '67 Series 1.5 car that I've owned since I was 18. Then there's all the BMWs in the family... from my old E30 with 507,000 miles on the clock to the E34 M5 to an E46 330ci with a six-speed, my wife's 318ti and my daughter's 535i. Yeah, I'm a gearhead...

My Cars
    01 M5, 93 M5, 94 525iT
    [QUOTE=ross1;29590858]
    Quote Originally Posted by uses0ap View Post
    Any problem keeping head gaskets in it?
    My mailman is a gearhead so we always chat. His son drag races a Lightning and is constantly lifting the head off it, I suspect he has the boost dialed a bit though. If so any suggestions I could offer him?
    I have not had any issues but I am just mildly upgraded. It has been an incredibly reliable truck since I picked it up. The best possible place he can get answers to most any issues he may have is the Lightning Rodder forum. Ironically most guys that heavily modify their trucks wish they'd have kept them closer to stock so they could drive them more. I kind of took that to heart when I was considering what direction to go.
    Tommy L.

(
    oOO \ (IIII) (IIII) / OOo)

-o- (##########) -o-

2001 BMW M5 LMB
    LHD Euro
    Bilstein PSS, Black Kidneys, Dinan Rear Anti-sway Bar, Matte Black Style 65, UUC SSK w/DSSR, Alpine iLX-007, Alpine MRV-F 340 Amp, Boston Acoustics Pro components, Alpine MRP-M450 Amp, Infinity Kappa 102.7W Sub x2

Current Garage:

1993 BMW M5
    1994 BMW 525i Touring 5spd
    2004 Ford SVT Lightning

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    [QUOTE=Kingpin025;29592286]

I have not had any issues but I am just mildly upgraded. It has been an incredibly reliable truck since I picked it up. The best possible place he can get answers to most any issues he may have is the Lightning Rodder forum. Ironically most guys that heavily modify their trucks wish they'd have kept them closer to stock so they could drive them more. I kind of took that to heart when I was considering what direction to go.
    Pretty sure it's a dedicated race "car". I'll mention the forum to him.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    (Shouldn't this be in OT?)

Some cool rides ITT. Dunno if this is a representative sample, but I notice a lot of British cars and very few other European brands - no Benz, no VAG, no Italians.

That E21 looks hot but very uncomfortable (suspension travel).

I have an 81 Toyota 4wd that trades with the E34 for daily driver vs. storage duty every few months. Currently in storage but I took it out recently to play in the snow; with a rear locker it's impressive but not invincible. The interior is customized the way I like them (ye olde black-on-black-on-wood-on-black-on-chrome-on-more-black) but I don't have photos of that. No good recent photos, just the one hiding behind a friend's '82 2wd.

11312.jpg1122092088.jpg

Picked up a 96 Passat diesel late last year and just replaced the timing belt and got it driving. Dunno yet what its fate shall be - either 1. fix it up and flip it next time gas prices go up, or 2. keep it because excellent mileage, or 3. steal the engine for my Yota.

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    The e38 on my sig photo, like all older BMWs, is a constant project...

Where do you source parts for the Jensen? Make your own?
    Last edited by kouks; 02-12-2017 at 01:58 PM.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by kouks View Post
    The e38 on my sig photo, like all older BMWs, is a constant project...

Where do you source parts for the Jensen? Make your own?
    The owner has provided a catalog from a company that provides spares. A lot of it is from other's parts bins.

My Cars
    1992 525
    Just about finished with the 1956 Cadillac Fleetwood for a friend. Came to me painted. I did just about everything else myself.
    "Helicopters: 10,0000 pieces of metal fatigue rotating around an oil leak."

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Winner^

My Cars
    1995 540i/6, 1991 LS 400
    Wish I had another project, I swapped my UCF10 LS400 to a manual 5 speed last summer, mostly just to make it less boring to drive since the factory 4 speed auto is just as invincible as the early 1UZ's, I also run it just dumping after the exhaust manifold lol! The factory exhaust had rotted flanges, don't care enough to put a new exhaust on it. I kind of want to sell the thing now, but for how tank-like they are, haven't been able to justify it. They're not that common up here in central Canada.

I've been trying to obtain an e9, e24, e21, or e30 in good enough shape to restore, but these are also very hard to find in Canada. A Saab 900 turbo is also a car that has my interest, but again rare here.

My Cars
    1992 525
    Winner^

Thank you. It was a lot of work Glad it's pretty much done
    "Helicopters: 10,0000 pieces of metal fatigue rotating around an oil leak."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast